Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre lookin at the shallow end of the pool here. You need to look deeper to see why MO feels more western than eastern. Heres just a few reasons why I think MO feels more western than eastern:

The flora is different than what you can find in most eastern states.

The fauna is different. You wont see tarantulas and scorpions in NYC.

The mountains with glades and cacti feel far more western than eastern.

The cowboy ranches which dot the countryside.
Dude have you ever even been to Missouri? I know people from Chicago often think cities as close as St. Louis and Cincinnati are part of the Deep South in comparison to "N. Illinois", but this is ridiculous.

1) Most of Illinois and Missouri (exempting the extreme southern regions of both states) share a Dfa - Humid Continental Climate (Hot Humid Summers, Cold Brutal Winters)

2) Seeing that the climates are virtually the same, the "flora" and fauna of both states are virtually the same, sure you will have certain animals and plants that grow in one state and not the other but whatever grows in Missouri can surely grow in Illinois (vice-versa). I've never seen cactus in St. Louis, but wouldn't doubt seeing them in the far Southwest corner near Oklahoma, but definitely not common here.

3) The comment about Scorpions and Tarantulas just shows your lack of knowledge about Fauna. Variations of both species can be found on every continent in every climate (except arctic of course). I'm sure there are tarantulas species native to Chicagoland that you don't even know about, because you don't see them in the city. Never seen anything bigger than a wolf spider in Metro St. Louis.

4) Cowboy ranches? Maybe in SW Missouri near Oklahoma? I know Jesse James is native to Missouri, but back then Missouri was considered the Wild West (I'm sure they had "cowboys" in Illinois back then too). Does anyone from Kansas City no about the Cowboys? Seems like a Western Missouri thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 09:57 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I would say the East Coast. I mean aside from most of the Dakotas and Nebraska and half of Kansas, the Midwest is in the eastern United States.

Culturally it is also, being it has accents, it's huge on sports, etc.
Neither

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
It is the Midwest plain and simple.
My thoughts exactly....

Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
The midwest is not the same culturally from state to state or even region to region within the Midwest. To think this narrowly is foolish. Bumfuct, Iowa is nothing like Cleveland, OH. For instance, Cleveland is hours from Pittsburgh or Buffalo, but those cities are considered East Coast? Where is the line drawn? Or is there even a need to have a defined line because the characteristics of the Eastcoast obviously blend into much of the eastern Midwest.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The Midwest is the Midwest. Midwestern Cities look more like east coast cities, but most were built up on a culture of Farming and Agriculture and serving the needs of those communities. (St. Louis and Chicago were also built on transportation and Finance)

As an East Coast/West Coast transplant, I can tell you that there is a heavy redneck culture in this neck of the woods that takes a lot of getting used too.
Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Youngstown, Dayton, Canton, Akron, and Toledo were NOT built on agriculture and farming.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:42 AM

23 posts, read 65,870 times
The West and East Coasts have more in common with eachother than anything, but I'd generally go with what several posters have said here; that the tier from ND to KS is more Western and the remainder is more Eastern, as a broad generalization.

For a more detailed analysis, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, most of urban OH would fit with NYC, Boston, Philly far easier than SF, LA, Seattle. Minneapolis and Des Moines seem kind of like a more traditional Pacific Northwest. I don't even know where to begin with a more rural comparison.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:36 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Dude have you ever even been to Missouri? I know people from Chicago often think cities as close as St. Louis and Cincinnati are part of the Deep South in comparison to "N. Illinois", but this is ridiculous.
Ive been to Missouri TONS of time. I agree that St. Louis feels eastern, but places like Branson definitely dont feel eastern.

Quote:
1) Most of Illinois and Missouri (exempting the extreme southern regions of both states) share a Dfa - Humid Continental Climate (Hot Humid Summers, Cold Brutal Winters)
What does climate have to do with feeling eastern or western? There are places out west that have winters so bad that that it makes MO's and IL's winters feel downright balmy, and places out east so hot and humid that it makes MO and IL's summers feel dry. Bringing up climates is irrelevant.

Quote:
2) Seeing that the climates are virtually the same, the "flora" and fauna of both states are virtually the same, sure you will have certain animals and plants that grow in one state and not the other but whatever grows in Missouri can surely grow in Illinois (vice-versa). I've never seen cactus in St. Louis, but wouldn't doubt seeing them in the far Southwest corner near Oklahoma, but definitely not common here.
Eastern prickly pear cacti (Opuntia humifusa) are found in many areas of MO, but they only grow in sandy/rocky soil. Ive found them far north in Missouri all the way down near the Arkansas border (Gainesville, MO area). Sure theyre not as common as in Nevada, but theyre FAR more common than in, say, New York.

Quote:
3) The comment about Scorpions and Tarantulas just shows your lack of knowledge about Fauna. Variations of both species can be found on every continent in every climate (except arctic of course). I'm sure there are tarantulas species native to Chicagoland that you don't even know about, because you don't see them in the city. Never seen anything bigger than a wolf spider in Metro St. Louis.
Dont lecture me about tarantulas, dude, youre getting in over your head. I keep and study them, its a hobby of mine. And no, there are NO tarantula species in Chicagoland. YOu just showed you have absolutely no knowledge about tarantulas. Talk about backfiring in your face! There are species of scorpion and tarantula in the St. Louis area. Look up Aphonopelma hentzi (tarantula) and Centruroides vittatus (scorpion), theyre prevalent all over MO. And just to show how ignorant you are when it comes to the subject, the furthest north they range is into IL in 2 counties, Jackson and Union counties, which are right across the border from St. Louis pretty much. Anything else you'd care to learn about?

Quote:
4) Cowboy ranches? Maybe in SW Missouri near Oklahoma? I know Jesse James is native to Missouri, but back then Missouri was considered the Wild West (I'm sure they had "cowboys" in Illinois back then too). Does anyone from Kansas City no about the Cowboys? Seems like a Western Missouri thing.
Yes, most ranches Ive seen are located west of Springfield, all the way to the OK border. But theyre still western in feel and absolutely nothing eastern in feel, which was my point to begin with. And once you get near the OK border, flora lessens as you approach the Plains, which definitely feels more western than eastern.

Here are some Missouri critters from about 1.5 hours SW of St. Louis. I bet if you showed these pics to most people, theyd guess you were, uh, out WEST, not east, right? Right.

Aphonopelma hentzi:

Collared lizard:

Juvenile tarantula (Aphonpelma hentzi):

Unknown species of Araneomorphae I believe:

Brown recluse (Loxoceles reclusa):

Another collared lizard:

Another tarantula (Aphonopelma hentzi), this one male:

Cottonmouth (baby--Agkistrodon contortrix):

Small group of scorpions (Centruroides vittatus):

Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
Obviously the east coast, this is a no brainer!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ive been to Missouri TONS of time. I agree that St. Louis feels eastern, but places like Branson definitely dont feel eastern.

What does climate have to do with feeling eastern or western? There are places out west that have winters so bad that that it makes MO's and IL's winters feel downright balmy, and places out east so hot and humid that it makes MO and IL's summers feel dry. Bringing up climates is irrelevant.

Eastern prickly pear cacti (Opuntia humifusa) are found in many areas of MO, but they only grow in sandy/rocky soil. Ive found them far north in Missouri all the way down near the Arkansas border (Gainesville, MO area). Sure theyre not as common as in Nevada, but theyre FAR more common than in, say, New York.

Dont lecture me about tarantulas, dude, youre getting in over your head. I keep and study them, its a hobby of mine. And no, there are NO tarantula species in Chicagoland. YOu just showed you have absolutely no knowledge about tarantulas. Talk about backfiring in your face! There are species of scorpion and tarantula in the St. Louis area. Look up Aphonopelma hentzi (tarantula) and Centruroides vittatus (scorpion), theyre prevalent all over MO. And just to show how ignorant you are when it comes to the subject, the furthest north they range is into IL in 2 counties, Jackson and Union counties, which are right across the border from St. Louis pretty much. Anything else you'd care to learn about?

Yes, most ranches Ive seen are located west of Springfield, all the way to the OK border. But theyre still western in feel and absolutely nothing eastern in feel, which was my point to begin with. And once you get near the OK border, flora lessens as you approach the Plains, which definitely feels more western than eastern.

Here are some Missouri critters from about 1.5 hours SW of St. Louis. I bet if you showed these pics to most people, theyd guess you were, uh, out WEST, not east, right? Right.

Aphonopelma hentzi:

Collared lizard:

Juvenile tarantula (Aphonpelma hentzi):

Unknown species of Araneomorphae I believe:

Brown recluse (Loxoceles reclusa):

Another collared lizard:

Another tarantula (Aphonopelma hentzi), this one male:

Cottonmouth (baby--Agkistrodon contortrix):

Small group of scorpions (Centruroides vittatus):
Well, with the possible exception of the northwest corner of Missouri, near Nebraska, not much I've seen, even in Branson or Southwest Missouri looks too western to me. Cottonmouths and copperheads, with exception of parts of Oklahoma and Texas, sure ain't a western thing. With exception of lack of beech and yellow poplar trees, which ain't too many in Missouri, the trees are familiar to me who live east of the Mississippi River, sure ain't no white oak or hickory or sugar maple trees in Montana or Idaho, or for that matter, not very far into Kansas or Nebraska! And scorpions you have in western Ky. and Tenn., and we have plenty of brown recluses in those 2 states statwide. About the only thing I haven't seen too much of east of Miss. River are collared lizards and tarantulas, though I've seen them (tarantulas) cross the road in Florida and South Georgia before.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I don't see the westcoast in the midwest. I see the eastcoast in it. The only westcoast I see in the midwest, is the high Mexican population in Chicago, and the gang presence in Chicago. That's about it.
gang presence was in Chicago long before the west coast

Old 09-08-2010, 04:27 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,195,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
gang presence was in Chicago long before the west coast
That's true...
Latin Kings, Vice Lords, Latin Disciples, Stones, etc. are older then any blood or crip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City