Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:47 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Detroit - 6,856/sq mi
Detroit's density must have been over 12,000 in the 60's, because its population was about double what it is today.

Kinda strange that a city which is thought to be pretty much empty can still have a relatively high density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:49 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,602,514 times
Quote:
midwest is like the east...all boring , old , and cold

they cant hold a candle to the West
The West is nice to look at. Then you have to talk to people that live there, and it ruins everything.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 AM

188 posts, read 520,864 times
When you say East coast, do you mean the northern half (Boston to D.C.) or the southern half (Richmond to Miami)?

And when you say West coast, do you mean the southern half (San Diego to Sacramento) or the northern half (Redding to Seattle)?

Or are you including the coasts as a whole?

Either way, the midwest is a completely different animal.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:42 PM

49 posts, read 110,230 times
The midwest is the midwest.....

Old 05-12-2009, 12:55 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint.Patrick View Post
The midwest is the midwest.....
Unfortunately this is true...

Old 05-12-2009, 03:15 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Apparently you've never heard of FLW's Prairie style of architecture.
Dementor hasn't heard of a lot of things. His ignorance is astounding.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
The "midwest" isn't really consistently similar from one corner to the other.

I'd say the Great Lakes cities, from Milwaukee to Buffalo, have a lot in common culturally, and they share that with places like Pittsburgh and the industrial cities of the Northeast. They have also experienced a similar type of decline, with Boston and New York sort of pulling out of that in recent decades. East coast cities are older and more dense. Midwestern cities are still more dense than western cities, but are losing density through abandonment and demolition (San Francisco is an obvious exception!).

The Great Plains states and southern portion of the Midwest (away from the great lakes) has a lot in common with the west, with the exception of the mountains. This is the part of the midwest that gets heat for being boring. The farming rural culture of the Midwest is not exactly the same as the farming and ranching rural culture of the West, but they are cut from the same cloth. The rural midwest still has a much greater population density than the non-coastal western states, however. There is not as much space between towns, and midwestern small towns feel less isolated than their western counterparts.

Now, the West Coast is another thing entirely. But it's now filled with midwestern transplants. I was reading recently that the California residents who voted Ronald Regan into power in the 70s have largely died off or moved to other states (like the Pac NW and Colorado). Soon California will be filled with only immigrants and transplants from the rest of the country.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 AM

223 posts, read 829,221 times
I don't know about the whole Mid-West but the cities of Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland are closer or more similar to New York, Philadelphia, and Newark.

Than they are to Los Angeles, Okland, and San Fransico.

The structures of the Mid-West cities are smiliar to the way the east coast cities were built.

All cities are different and have their own identiy, but some are similar.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:19 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,939 times
This Midwest is like neither, thank God. The Midwest is the manufacturing and breadbasket center of the nation. The people are friendlier and more 'real', the cost of living is more realistic, and Chicago is an awsome city. I never minded living in the Midwest. I lived in washington DC for a while. Nice place to visit but dont live there! Too much east coast hurryness and snobby people. I live in Phoenix now and the people are just like California. The Midwest is the best and I never minded the flat land either.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I would say the East Coast. I mean aside from most of the Dakotas and Nebraska and half of Kansas, the Midwest is in the eastern United States.

Culturally it is also, being it has accents, it's huge on sports, etc.
I tend to agree, so very generally; I would say the Mid West is more like the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City