Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 09:25 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Why would Chicago offer a personal exemption when it levies NO INCOME TAX? The state of Illinois has a small personal exemption of a few hundred dollars.
It's actually $2000 at the moment.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:33 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
Never said it was. I mentioned the ridiculous Chicago restaurant tax and someone started talking about New York taxes.

Weren't you the guy telling us that Chicago has the highest tax rate? And how cold was it when you were here in January? Below the record low of -24 from 1985? Boston's lowest temperature was -30 in 1946 btw. Pigeons were surely falling from the sky in record numbers, ears took 3 weeks to unfreeze. Human sacrifice, cats and dogs living together...mass hysteria!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:24 PM

259 posts, read 543,313 times
Now I can understand the Chicago, New York rivialry thing...but Northend lives in Boston? lmao...Boston has an amazing history...but the city itself isn't on level with Chicago...ha..I thought you were from New York but you're from Boston...outside of the sports, and U.S. history books you can save it...wack lmao

Old 04-12-2009, 10:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Now I can understand the Chicago, New York rivialry thing...but Northend lives in Boston? lmao...Boston has an amazing history...but the city itself isn't on level with Chicago...ha..I thought you were from New York but you're from Boston...outside of the sports, and U.S. history books you can save it...wack lmao
Boston is way above Chicago. It's history, educational institutions are some of the best in the world. Boston is very classy, unlike Chicago, but most importantly Boston is located in the industrialized Bosh-Wash corridor as opposed to rural Midwest. That's the biggest difference as it influences all aspects of city's life.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:40 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Boston is way above Chicago. It's history, educational institutions are some of the best in the world. Boston is very classy, unlike Chicago, but most importantly Boston is located in the industrialized Bosh-Wash corridor as opposed to rural Midwest. That's the biggest difference as it influences all aspects of city's life.
Yeah, you're right. Boston is located on the East Coast, on the BosWash megalopolis. So is Scranton.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Guys: I-G-N-O-R-E.

At first I thought they were different people, but I find it hard to believe that eurous1, dementor, and northEnd are all people that felt the need to come to C-D and post incessantly not even about their own cities, but just against Chicago. Think about it. Ignore. There's actual people to discuss things with (although I thought Grapico had potential, but he's making some asinine arguments himself now).
Okay, I'm in.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
majority rules though...
Chicago = Minneapolis + Detroit

^ Seriously though, I think that is a very good description of Chicago... Minneapolis plus Detroit combined then u get Chicago...
Sure, and Minneapolis and Detroit combined would give you a population of 1,658,168. That leaves us a little short, so let's throw in the population of Boston too. That's the entire city of Boston. That will bring us up 608,352 to 2,226,520. We're still a little short. Let's throw in Pittsburgh for its industry and Orlando for its beaches (Chicago does have 18 miles of beaches, after all), and we are close. We're still around 30,000 people short. Let's throw in Juneau, AK to even that out.

That only leaves us with 787 high rises, too. So we're short in the building department as well. Let's see. Let's add Houston's buildings, and bam! We're right where we need to be!

See? Minneapolis, Detroit, Boston, Pittsburgh, Houston, Juneau and Orlando combined almost equal Chicago. You were right, just left a few cities out.

Now, what were you saying about majority rules?

Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
majority rules though...why would somebody not from that area move there looking for urban lifestyle and vibrancy if not for a job or family... people from Chicago are primarily from midwest big 10 schools

I met so many people from the damn plains while in Chicago it was crazy, lp and lakeview are post college big 10 party hoods...

these people wouldn't ^^^

but they do it all the time for nyc/boston/dc/la/sf...they all offer better stuff, better weather, more culture, more cosmopolitan, more sophisticated. If people want cheap COL and a big city life they go to ATL and Houston. Heck they even do this for Seattle, Portland and Austin Texas... but Chicago??? nahhh not really.

Chicago = Minneapolis + Detroit

^ Seriously though, I think that is a very good description of Chicago... Minneapolis plus Detroit combined then u get Chicago...
You are such a creep.

You come on here and post these one-sided comments regarding San Francisco and your preference for Chicago. And then a week after moving to San Fran you have completely changed your tune? Are you actually listening to the people out there?

People from any region tend to be people from those regions' schools. The Ivy League specializes in generating incompetent fools who like to feel special and tend to take government jobs. That's the focus of Yale and Harvard: creating a whole class of woefully ignorant public servants who feel that they are so special that the world would be deprived were it not for their assistance.

And guess what? Almost all of them stay on the east coast.

You are such a two-faced creep. **** you, grapico. You've degraded yourself to the likes of dementor and eurous. Bear in mind the company you keep so you can avoid picking up their undesirable attitudes.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:10 AM

100 posts, read 220,284 times
Default Boston Metro 7.5 million; Chicago Metro, 9.75 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Sure, and Minneapolis and Detroit combined would give you a population of 1,658,168. That leaves us a little short, so let's throw in the population of Boston too. That's the entire city of Boston. That will bring us up 608,352 to 2,226,520. We're still a little short. Let's throw in Pittsburgh for its industry and Orlando for its beaches (Chicago does have 18 miles of beaches, after all), and we are close. We're still around 30,000 people short. Let's throw in Juneau, AK to even that out.

That only leaves us with 787 high rises, too. So we're short in the building department as well. Let's see. Let's add Houston's buildings, and bam! We're right where we need to be!

See? Minneapolis, Detroit, Boston, Pittsburgh, Houston, Juneau and Orlando combined almost equal Chicago. You were right, just left a few cities out.

Now, what were you saying about majority rules?
ok, foolish one

'Chicagoland' as it is known, if superimposed on a map of Boston would stretch from Maine to Providence. It just so happens that the Boston Metro area stretches almost that far. So while the Boston Metro area is not quite as large as Chicagoland, it does have very close to the population.

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2009, 07:18 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
I looked up the population of Boston (proper), and it's not even 600,000. That surprised me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City