Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 12:28 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I do not answer personal questions in this forum.
Oh yea..right

You'll tell us where you live. But you won't tell us how old you are. That makes sense

Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Oh yea..right

You'll tell us where you live. But you won't tell us how old you are. That makes sense

Did I give out my address somehow? Haven't noticed that.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:32 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Did I give out my address somehow? Haven't noticed that.
Yea...your age is more personal than the city you reside in. Makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Who said Chicagoans are great proofreaders? Who said there is no serious journalism in Chicago? Where are you getting your information? Do you really think these things? I don't believe that you could possibly be serious..
Really? We have been through this in this very forum. Can you name a single national or international publication coming out of Chicago besides Playboy, which I do not consider serious journalism?

EDIT> And as expected we have silence. Apparently chitwon2pa just discovered that there is no serious journalism in Chicago. I think someone should reach out to him and help in this difficult time.

Last edited by dementor; 04-12-2009 at 12:56 AM..

633 posts, read 1,442,068 times
Quote:
I am not mimicking you, I am simply prooving that you either do not understand what you type here of chose to disregard the facts. See this below? TomDot stated that a lot of kids from rural Midwest come to Chicago after graduating from college:

To which you responded that you actually like that fact. See that? To which I responded that to me it is quite the oppposite. I do not like the fact that Chicago is filled with hicks from surrounding states pretending to be urbanites or voice opinions about urban life and culture.

Yeah. Everybody from Chicago. Why am I not suprised ? ))

[/quote]

Dementor,

Please, please, PLEASE read your posts before you click Submit.

Once I hacked my way through the dense jungle of your typos and grammatical errors, I figured out the tangent to which you were referring.

That's right, I sure did agree with TomDot. Why wouldn't I? There are a lot of people from the Midwest who view Chicago as the be-all end-all. I stopped short, however, of asserting that any of them were somehow not "savvy" or uncultured. Maybe the next time you attempt to put words in my mouth, you will pick words that sound more natural coming from me. For example, try these:

Relax. Calm down. Take a deep breath. Nobody is going to steal your city from you. Chicago is not a threat to the East Coast. We can all get along in harmony. The only reason Chicagoans oppose you is because of the way you attack them. You know that's true. I will say one thing, though. For a fifteen-year-old, you are articulate. I don't know if you are fifteen, but if you were, you would be articulate.

Oh, and I will say one more thing. I don't live in Chicago. So, not everybody who opposes you is in Chicago. That's okay though, because I'll be willing to bet that you don't really live in Manhattan, do you?

Oops, was that a personal question?

Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
That's right, I sure did agree with TomDot. Why wouldn't I? There are a lot of people from the Midwest who view Chicago as the be-all end-all. I stopped short, however, of asserting that any of them were somehow not "savvy" or uncultured. Maybe the next time you attempt to put words in my mouth, you will pick words that sound more natural coming from me.

You see you are getting there. Took some help but you are.

Anyways, do you consider kids from rural Midwest savy urbanites?
Maybe experts on urban life and culture?

Do you? I really hope you do not. Anyways, I do not like the fact that Chicago is mostly filled with hicks from surrounding states, not savvy, not urbanites, oblivious to city life and culture. You do, don't you?

PS. I already said I am in Chicago now.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Really? We have been through this in this very forum. Can you name a single national or international publication coming out of Chicago besides Playboy, which I do not consider serious journalism?
Sure. First let's establish the premise that The Tribune Company is headquartered on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. You may have heard of the building; it won a contest. Can we agree on this premise?

Good. Now, the Tribune Company owns the following papers:

Los Angeles Times
Chicago Tribune
RedEye
Baltimore Sun
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
El Sentinel del Sur de la Florida
Orlando Sentinel (English and Spanish versions)
Hartford Courant
The Morning Call (Allentown, PA)
Daily Press (Newport News, VA)
Hoy (Chicago and Los Angeles)

While each of these numerous journalistic holdings is admittedly regional, it stands to reason that, each flowing from the same corporate mouth, would share stories and information. Therefore, your national news is going to be the same whether you get it from the LA Times or the Orlando Sentinel; it's all the Trib. There's your national journalism.

The Chicago-based Sun-Times group has holdings in the US and Canada.

Crain's Chicago Business focuses on City, regional, and national news

The Turabian style of citation was developed in Chicago, and is alternately dubbed the Chicago style.

The Dhop Shop is based here.
IndustrialinatioN is based here.
Lumpen is based here.
Red Magazine is based here.
Spot News Chicago, Inc. is based in Arlington Heights.
The Chicago Independent Media Center is based here.
TAP Productions (a resource for film and video production in the entertainment, broadcast, and corporate markets) is based in Hoffman Estates.

This list contains many publications you have heard of, I'm sure, and many that you haven't heard of. At the end of the day, why should it matter? Chicago is not a journalism city. Neither, for that matter, is LA. Nor Boston. Philly? Nope! Washington, DC? Eh, maybe. New York City is the journalism capital of America, if we have one.

Pointing out that Chicago doesn't have many national newspapers is like pointing out that New York isn't the leading city for architecture and urban planning. It's just not fair, nor is it relevant. Each city does what it does best, and we quite frankly don't do newspapers. So, er, congratulations. Your city has more newspapers than our city. When was the last time you read the Wall Street Journal, anyway?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
You see you are getting there. Took some help but you are.

Anyways, do you consider kids from rural Midwest savy urbanites?
Maybe experts on urban life and culture?

Do you? I really hope you do not. Anyways, I do not like the fact that Chicago is mostly filled with hicks from surrounding states, not savvy, not urbanites, oblivious to city life and culture. You do, don't you?

PS. I already said I am in Chicago now.
Where am I getting? What are you talking about? What took some help?

Jump, monkey! Jump!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Where am I getting? What are you talking about? What took some help?

Jump, monkey! Jump!
Ok, monkey. What about that serious jounalism in Chicago? Found any examples?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Sure. First let's establish the premise that The Tribune Company is headquartered on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. You may have heard of the building; it won a contest. Can we agree on this premise?

What contest?

Good. Now, the Tribune Company owns the following papers:
The Chicago-based Sun-Times group has holdings in the US and Canada.
Crain's Chicago Business focuses on City, regional, and national news
The Turabian style of citation was developed in Chicago, and is alternately dubbed the Chicago style.

The Dhop Shop is based here.
IndustrialinatioN is based here.
Lumpen is based here.
Red Magazine is based here.
Spot News Chicago, Inc. is based in Arlington Heights.
The Chicago Independent Media Center is based here.
TAP Productions (a resource for film and video production in the entertainment, broadcast, and corporate markets) is based in Hoffman Estates.

This list contains many publications you have heard of, I'm sure, and many that you haven't heard of. At the end of the day, why should it matter? Chicago is not a journalism city.
I did not ask what about holding or quotations style. I asked about serious journalism on a national and international scale. Went through your list and could not find any examples. So, is there a serious national and international journalism in Chicago or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City