Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
Chicago CSA - 9.75 million
Boston CSA - 7.5 million

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Add to this that there are no other Major metro areas anywhere else near Chicago, while Boston has the NYC metro area within a 3 hour drive, and the city itself within 4.

One of the many things that makes Boston and NYC different is that they are part of the same megalopolis. Close to 20% of the population of this entire country lives between Manchester, NH and Virginia, about 50 million people, in an area about the same size as that from Milwaukee to the bottom tip of Illinois.
Yup. Chicago feels very remote. Even if you are looking for weekend getaways there is not much around Chicago. You have to fly to get out of the cornfield.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I have been walking around Milwaukee/Damen in Bucktown few days ago. I can't believe how run down this supposedly hip area of Chicago is. It lookes like the worst parts of Brooklyn. And despite the claim of being populated by artists and trendsetters I did not see any art galleries or people with clothes stained with paint. All I saw was a mass of pretentious hipsters.
This statement made me laugh, what does this even mean? Have you actually been to the "worst areas" of Brooklyn? Wicker Park/Bucktown isn't really the Hipster area that you describe, maybe 10 years ago, but it now resembles Lincoln Park (lots of Yuppies) more than anything else.
Have you been to Williamsburg, Brooklyn? That area is 10x grittier than anything in Wicker Park.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:16 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
Chicago CSA - 9.75 million
Boston CSA - 7.5 million

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Add to this that there are no other Major metro areas anywhere else near Chicago, while Boston has the NYC metro area within a 3 hour drive, and the city itself within 4.

One of the many things that makes Boston and NYC different is that they are part of the same megalopolis. Close to 20% of the population of this entire country lives between Manchester, NH and Virginia, about 50 million people, in an area about the same size as that from Milwaukee to the bottom tip of Illinois.
That is one area where Chicago is completely different from NYC and Boston. Chicago, for better or worse, is very islolated. Both Boston and New York have many major cities near them.

The distance between Chicago and Indy is actually closer than the distance of driving from Boston to New York City. However if you leave from Chicago, you drive through corn fields for 80 miles, then hit West Lafayette, then drive another 45 miles of corn fields and then hit Indy.

If you leave Boston, you're in Worcester before you leave Boston's metro, go through woods for about 35 miles, then are in Hartford, then right into New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford, then New York City. If you take I-95, you see cities like Providence and New London instead of Worcestor and Hartford.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:38 AM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
Yup. Chicago feels very remote. Even if you are looking for weekend getaways there is not much around Chicago. You have to fly to get out of the cornfield.
Yeah totally. Except for Door County, Milwaukee summer festivals, Wisco Dells, Galena, Historic Geneva, Donley's Wild West Town, the Indiana Dunes, the Warren Dunes, Chain O' Lakes, Kankakee River State Park, Michigan Wine Country, Grand Rapids, Great America, and Starved Rock, there are no weekend getaways within driving distance. I think there might be some cornfields, too, if you are interested.

And why would anyone want to get away from Chicago?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:40 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
This statement made me laugh, what does this even mean? Have you actually been to the "worst areas" of Brooklyn? Wicker Park/Bucktown isn't really the Hipster area that you describe, maybe 10 years ago, but it now resembles Lincoln Park (lots of Yuppies) more than anything else.
Have you been to Williamsburg, Brooklyn? That area is 10x grittier than anything in Wicker Park.
Good call there. I've been skimming over most of these posts as I find this 'debate' an entertaining, but mostly pointless read, but as a resident of Wicker Park, and as one who has more than a passing familiarity with NYC (specifically Brooklyn), I can assure you that Wicker Park isn't even remotely run down compared to places like Bushwick (which is on the rise) and Bed-Stuy. Additionally, Wicker Park hasn't been 'hip' for years. Back in the early 90's was the hey-day of Wicker Park arts scene (I'm old enough to remember it well), it has since gentrified and the artists have moved on to other parks of the city (I have somehow managed to keep obscenely cheap rent due to personal connections, so I've stayed). They have been replaced by boutiques, chain stores, and expensive rent, just like what happened to the East Village, and Williamsburg in NYC.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Dementor, tell us about where you live again. You said you're in Chicago, right? Or was it Boston? Or, was it "the Broncks"

Old 04-13-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post

It does not look like Brooklyn Heights or Bedford, does it? Lots of yuppies? Who are yuppies anyway? This term was relevant about 50 years ago. Anyways, I could post pictures from that "yuppified" section of town with 30 years old store fronts and never repaved streets. But why? You obviously do not think there is anything wrong with that.
Lincoln Park? You get off the 90 at Armitage and you are greeted by a falling apart bridge and then Fullerton with potholes the size of geo metro. Overall the area is full of single family houses and new condos and not even a trace of any city planning or zoning. Siding clad rund-down next to Starbucks and cookie-cutter condo complex.
I mean, unless you haven't really anything nice in your life you can't claim Lincoln Park, Wicker or Bucktown to be thriving or vibrant or pretty.

PS. I will be there Thursday, I'll take pictures this time. Let's see if you get what I am talking about.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:12 PM

BosWash: 55 Million People

ChiPitts: 54 Million People

Old 04-13-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
It does not look like Brooklyn Heights or Bedford, does it? Lots of yuppies? Who are yuppies anyway? This term was relevant about 50 years ago. Anyways, I could post pictures from that "yuppified" section of town with 30 years old store fronts and never repaved streets. But why? You obviously do not think there is anything wrong with that.
Lincoln Park? You get off the 90 at Armitage and you are greeted by a falling apart bridge and then Fullerton with potholes the size of geo metro. Overall the area is full of single family houses and new condos and not even a trace of any city planning or zoning. Siding clad rund-down next to Starbucks and cookie-cutter condo complex.
I mean, unless you haven't really anything nice in your life you can't claim Lincoln Park, Wicker or Bucktown to be thriving or vibrant or pretty.

PS. I will be there Thursday, I'll take pictures this time. Let's see if you get what I am talking about.
You live in Chicago.

You hate Chicago.

That makes sense. By the way, I saw you walking around Wicker Park last week.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I can assure you that Wicker Park isn't even remotely run down compared to places like Bushwick (which is on the rise) and Bed-Stuy. .
No, I did not compare Wicker to the projects. There are other nabs in Brooklyn that are not necessarily on the rise yet they resemble Bucktown so much it is unbelievable.

Quote:
Additionally, Wicker Park hasn't been 'hip' for years. Back in the early 90's was the hey-day of Wicker Park arts scene .

Wicker park art scene? Where are the art galleries? What art scene?

Quote:
(I'm old enough to remember it well), it has since gentrified and the artists have moved on to other parks of the city (I have somehow managed to keep obscenely cheap rent due to personal connections, so I've stayed). They have been replaced by boutiques, chain stores, and expensive rent, just like what happened to the East Village, and Williamsburg in NYC.
Williamsburg is still thriving. Rents are high but they are high all over the city. A single street in Williamsburg - Bedford Ave, has more life than Bucktown, Wicker and Lincoln combined.
What is really terrible about Chicago that even the nice areas have run down infrastructure (streets) and are full of panhandlers. What good is a nice condo if women are too scared to make to Walgreen on foot at night... Chicago Police (CPD) is a joke compared to NYPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City