Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 12:24 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That is one area where Chicago is completely different from NYC and Boston. Chicago, for better or worse, is very islolated. Both Boston and New York have many major cities near them.

The distance between Chicago and Indy is actually closer than the distance of driving from Boston to New York City. However if you leave from Chicago, you drive through corn fields for 80 miles, then hit West Lafayette, then drive another 45 miles of corn fields and then hit Indy.

If you leave Boston, you're in Worcester before you leave Boston's metro, go through woods for about 35 miles, then are in Hartford, then right into New Haven, Bridgeport, Stamford, then New York City. If you take I-95, you see cities like Providence and New London instead of Worcestor and Hartford.

Not to mention that there is no good reason to go to Indy other than NASCAR. After dark there is absolutely nothing going on there which is true with most cities in the region. Chicago is absolutely positevely isolated which is reflected in culture and mentality of the city.

Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM

100 posts, read 220,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
It does not look like Brooklyn Heights or Bedford, does it? Lots of yuppies? Who are yuppies anyway? This term was relevant about 50 years ago. Anyways, I could post pictures from that "yuppified" section of town with 30 years old store fronts and never repaved streets. But why? You obviously do not think there is anything wrong with that.
Lincoln Park? You get off the 90 at Armitage and you are greeted by a falling apart bridge and then Fullerton with potholes the size of geo metro. Overall the area is full of single family houses and new condos and not even a trace of any city planning or zoning. Siding clad rund-down next to Starbucks and cookie-cutter condo complex.
I mean, unless you haven't really anything nice in your life you can't claim Lincoln Park, Wicker or Bucktown to be thriving or vibrant or pretty.

PS. I will be there Thursday, I'll take pictures this time. Let's see if you get what I am talking about.
Bring back Cabrini Green!

Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
BosWash: 55 Million People

ChiPitts: 54 Million People
That is a joke, right?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:21 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
That is a joke, right?
LOL, yeah, a well-documented, public-information joke. I don't understand. Why would that be a joke?

Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM

What cities are in "ChiPitts"? I'm just triyng to piece together how that could possibly be. The BosWash makes sense to me because there's several very large cities...however I can only think of two big cities in "ChiPitt" which would be Chicago and Detroit.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:57 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
What cities are in "ChiPitts"? I'm just triyng to piece together how that could possibly be. The BosWash makes sense to me because there's several very large cities...however I can only think of two big cities in "ChiPitt" which would be Chicago and Detroit.
ChiPitts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2009, 02:28 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:

Williamsburg is still thriving. Rents are high but they are high all over the city. A single street in Williamsburg - Bedford Ave, has more life than Bucktown, Wicker and Lincoln combined.
What is really terrible about Chicago that even the nice areas have run down infrastructure (streets) and are full of panhandlers. What good is a nice condo if women are too scared to make to Walgreen on foot at night... Chicago Police (CPD) is a joke compared to NYPD.
Brooklyn, NY is one of the coolest areas of the country IMO. I don't think anybody is saying WP compares to Brooklyn, b/c it doesn't. Ive lived in NYC for the past 3 years (just moved to DC), and I think that you are a bit misinformed about both Brooklyn and Chicago.
Run Down Infrastructure? You are acting like chicago is completely run down and NYC isn't. Both cities have a ton of "run down infrastructure".
Sure chicago streets suck after the winter, b/c of the snow/salt/ice but you are acting like that doesn't happen in NYC. I lived at 83rd/Columbus in the UWS for 3 years and the pot holes on Columbus or Amsterdam were just as bad as streets in Chicago.
NYC is the greatest city on Earth, IMO, of course Chicago isn't going to compare to it; but to dis Chicago the way you are just makes you look silly.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:

Wicker park art scene? Where are the art galleries? What art scene?

Most of the Art Galleries are in River North, largest collection of art galleries outside Manhattan. Again, there really isn't a huge art scene in WP, why do you keep bringing that up?

Old 04-13-2009, 02:43 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Most of the Art Galleries are in River North, largest collection of art galleries outside Manhattan. Again, there really isn't a huge art scene in WP, why do you keep bringing that up?
Because apparently he didn't fully read that I stated that WP's art scene was at its hey-day almost twenty years ago, nor have I ever once argued that any place but nyc was anything but the art capitol of the US. That doesn't fit in with his agenda, so he ignored it.

prelude91 - I agree with you that a lot of interesting things are coming out of Brooklyn right now, I'd venture to say more than anywhere else in the US, Brooklyn is rather unique to its contributions to the current US cultural scene. I have plenty of friends who live in various parts of that lovely borough and I've visited many times, and am planning another visit in the next few weeks.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
That's a pretty weak comparison. If you look at the other "Megalopolis" areas of BosWash and the Taiheiyo Belt, you see a string of cities that are completely connected to create what seems to one contiguous belt of cities.

If you look at this link, you will see the highlights of BosWash and teh Taiheiyo Belt, and you can see ChiPitts on the US map too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...egalopolis.png

This isn't to rip Chicago or anything, but this "ChiPitts" deal isn't really legit. It's basically the MidWest. This isn't even meant to knock ChiPitts...I'm just saying, posting the population of ChiPitts vs BosWash to say "we're just as big as you" isn't accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City