Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
the older parts of dallas actually are fairly lush and several of the hilly areas remind me of atlanta. okc wishes it could be compared to dallas
I agree. I think OKC is much more like Fort Worth than it is like Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 09:47 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,933,422 times
I've been to Charlottesville (briefly). I'd say Kerrville or Georgetown might compare somewhat due to terrain and having universities, but that might be it. Alpine is another candidate, but is a stretch due to climate, scenery, etc.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To be expected. There isn't really a Charlottesville equal in Texas.
College Station is the closest.

Tex A&M and U of Va. are very high level public Universities, but the difference would be with the housing stock I suppose

Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
College Station is the closest.

Tex A&M and U of Va. are very high level public Universities, but the difference would be with the housing stock I suppose
That's the only similarity anyone can find between the cities. The culture and the politics and the atmosphere and the geography are all very different from College Station. I don't see many similarities between College Station and Charlottesville.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Dallas = Oklahoma City + Atlanta (but it has nowhere near the lushness of Atlanta, I'm talking more the vibe and size)
Houston = Los Angeles + New Orleans (more the first with a touch of the second)
Galveston = Savannah, with a touch of Venice Beach
San Antonio = a much more laid-back, family-oriented Miami (not Miami Beach, just Miami, as SA is inland)
Corpus Christi = a much smaller, less exciting, not quite as nice Tampa
Austin = a larger and more Texan version of Ann Arbor, who pretends to be San Francisco (but isn't at all)

These may not be perfect, but close. It's not easy to compare Texas cities because, well, it's Texas (which is a good thing!)
Nope. More the second with a touch of the first. LA and Houston are entirely different animals. Aside from aethetics; such as skyline and freeway similarities, the vibes and topographical features of these cities are nothing alike.

It's well known by your post history you despise Dallas and Austin. Why the constant derogatory comments? You don't like when your Houston is bashed.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:09 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Nope. More the second with a touch of the first. LA and Houston are entirely different animals. Aside from aethetics; such as skyline and freeway similarities, the vibes and topographical features of these cities are nothing alike.

It's well known by your post history you despise Dallas and Austin. Why the constant derogatory comments? You don't like when your Houston is bashed.
I say sxckrc is right, besides the topographical features and weather, New Orleans and Houston are not alike. LA has a little more things in common with Houston than N.O does.

Houston= L.A+N.O+FL (Florida)

Last edited by ()_T; 04-14-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times
Quote:

Huh?

I've lived in both New Orleans and Houston, so I think I know them well enough.

Don't know what you're talking about with the posting history. I've lived in Austin as well and just try to be completely honest about it. And there have been instances I've defended Dallas to out-of-staters who called it a "glorified office park."

If you're going down that route, I've seen tons of your posts whining about Houston or posting altered photos, so you're not exactly one to talk. Otherwise... see ya...

Old 04-14-2009, 06:32 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
I say sxckrc is right, besides the topographical features and weather, New Orleans and Houston are not alike. LA has a little more things in common with Houston than N.O does.

Houston= L.A+N.O+FL (Florida)
Like what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Huh?

I've lived in both New Orleans and Houston, so I think I know them well enough.

Don't know what you're talking about with the posting history. I've lived in Austin as well and just try to be completely honest about it. And there have been instances I've defended Dallas to out-of-staters who called it a "glorified office park."

If you're going down that route, I've seen tons of your posts whining about Houston or posting altered photos, so you're not exactly one to talk. Otherwise... see ya...
Dude, I don't care if you've 'defended' Dallas or not. Just quit throwing stones. Noone on here posted negatively about a city before your Austin comment.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Like what?

Dude, I don't care if you've 'defended' Dallas or not. Just quit throwing stones. Noone on here posted negatively about a city before your Austin comment.
guys, come on. Save that anger for the new yorkers.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:47 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,404 times
Quote:
Like what?

Such as Diversity? Both Cities are diverse- both have large Asain populations, N.O is not considered diverse.

Population- Houston's population is closer to LA's than N.O's

Both have beaches, N.O does not.

Both have multiple skylines , Houston and L.A's skyline looks similiar from certain angles.

Both are sprawl, large cities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City