Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Philadelphia
Chicago 191 69.96%
Philadelphia 82 30.04%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This post is on point. You can use Philly, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, DC, or Baltimore. Most white people don't understand black culture because they never had to. I'm not trying to turn this into a racial debate but black culture from the south transcends any borders or boundaries. The Mason Dixon reference was idiotic. You can go to any northern city or midatlantic city and the black people there are very similar in culture. They may talk a bit differently and dress differently but the share similar history, food, music, etc... Black people in all of these cities (like it or not) have southern traits and characteristics. Are they southern? No. not at all. It's like asking an Italian or Polish family are they European? No but they have many traditions that were passed along that are still in play today.
Then the issue is which city has more black influence. When I think 'black' I don't think 'Southern!' Who does?! Not all black culture is southern, but, obviously, all southern culture is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,968,633 times
[quote=LucasS6;8345639]Then the issue is which city has more black influence. When I think 'black' I don't think 'Southern!' Who does?quote]

When 55% of the nation's African-American population lives in the south you would think people would take note of that. As always the people on this forum (espescially northerners) deal with perception and not facts. Also, if you read the original post within the first four or five words he mentioned where most of the southern influence he is talking about came from.

Last edited by UTHORNS96; 04-14-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
[quote=UTHORNS96;8346714]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Then the issue is which city has more black influence. When I think 'black' I don't think 'Southern!' Who does?quote]

When 55% of the nation's African-American population lives in the south you would think people would take note of that. As always the people on this forum (espescially norhterners) deal with perception and not facts. Also, if you read the original post within the first four or five words he mentioned where most of the southern influence he is talking about came from.
That's exactly what I meant. I probably don't need to mention this but I made in a typo in the original post, African American not African. And in addition to southern culture - and southern black culture (which broadly overlap) - I did think Philadelphia might have had traces of southern, since Baltimore was a southern city until not to long ago.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
[quote=UTHORNS96;8346714]
Quote:
Then the issue is which city has more black influence. When I think 'black' I don't think 'Southern!' Who does?quote]

When 55% of the nation's African-American population lives in the south you would think people would take note of that. As always the people on this forum (espescially northerners) deal with perception and not facts. Also, if you read the original post within the first four or five words he mentioned where most of the southern influence he is talking about came from.
Sorry about my earlier sarcastic post, it was just that the last thing that comes to my mind when I think about Philly or Chicago is the south!

55 percent? That seems a little overstated, but I'll take your word for it. I know many blacks live in the rural south, but I assumed many (if not most) left for the north during the great migration.

As far as black culture being southern, it is to an extent, especially in the Midwest. Many blacks in Michigan, as well as Chicago, have a very distinctive southern accent, along with ALL of the southern slang (y'all, ain't, fixin ta, etc.). They don't sound like Michiganders at all, and have no trace of a Northern Midwest/Great Lakes accent, despite being born in Michigan and being surrounded by Midwestern speakers. Some blacks also prepare southern food like grits, greens, fried chicken, and black eyed peas, despite being from Michigan.

It's worth noting that not all blacks speak this way or share these cultural traits, however, and many do sound like other Midwesterners, with no trace of a southern accent, and no remnant of southern culture.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:41 PM

[quote=kazoopilot;8347573]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

Sorry about my earlier sarcastic post, it was just that the last thing that comes to my mind when I think about Philly or Chicago is the south!

55 percent? That seems a little overstated, but I'll take your word for it. I know many blacks live in the rural south, but I assumed many (if not most) left for the north during the great migration.

As far as black culture being southern, it is to an extent, especially in the Midwest. Many blacks in Michigan, as well as Chicago, have a very distinctive southern accent, along with ALL of the southern slang (y'all, ain't, fixin ta, etc.). They don't sound like Michiganders at all, and have no trace of a Northern Midwest/Great Lakes accent, despite being born in Michigan and being surrounded by Midwestern speakers. Some blacks also prepare southern food like grits, greens, fried chicken, and black eyed peas, despite being from Michigan.

It's worth noting that not all blacks speak this way or share these cultural traits, however, and many do sound like other Midwesterners, with no trace of a southern accent, and no remnant of southern culture.
While this isn't where I originally got the 55% number from this population map kind of gives you a good idea. Notice how the further north you get you see red concentrated in urban areas of the north (espescially Detriot and Chicago). But in the south you are seeing red all over the map.
HowStuffWorks "Maps of United States African American Population"

And yes, quite a few blacks moved to northern cities during the great migration. But the population of blacks was still so concentrated in the south that even that did not take away the southern majority. Lately it seems that many blacks are moving back to the south.

And you are right on the money with the southern slang blacks use. That seems to be common for most blacks anywhere in the country. Of course each region of blacks has their own regional slang. But they all use those words that you wouldn't typically associate with a northern speaker.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times
Chicago.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:40 AM

259 posts, read 543,257 times
Now while I will say Chicago, if you've ever rode the bus in Chicago or been around a bunch of high schoolers you won't hear any southern accents. Im from Chicago but currently down south and the people here talk nothing like in Chicago. Actually when I first got here people told me that I talked funny or had an accent. Chicago is a hotspot for blues due to a big southern influence but as far as the speech..no at least not with the younger generations

this is how the majority of Chicagoans sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A9HWqYIHVI it doesn't sound southern to me

this is how Mississippians sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfq-N...e=channel_page this is how a lot of people from the
Mississippi Delta(Memphis, parts of AR, and Louisana) sound when they speak...

Last edited by Truthfully19; 04-15-2009 at 01:16 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 12:50 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,419 times
So when we ask if Virginia Beach or Hampton Roads is "more southern" the correct answer is whichever has more blacks? I see now. 55% after all!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:42 AM

259 posts, read 543,257 times

Detroit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9hR3rSEdGk
there is a difference between blacks in Chicago/Detroit as far as speech although it is similar

Last edited by Truthfully19; 04-15-2009 at 01:54 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
So when we ask if Virginia Beach or Hampton Roads is "more southern" the correct answer is whichever has more blacks? I see now. 55% after all!!!
It has nothing to do with number of blacks. It has to do with history. Obviously your knowledge of history is lacking in a terrible way. When a large number of blacks that live in the north have southern roots it just makes sense that some things would be carried over. Espescially in some areas more than other. Instead of getting sarcastic because someone is giving you information to supplement your incomplete knowledge of of the subject just consider it and try to have a decent conversation about it. It says you live in Honolulu so I don't know if you're originally from the north or not but you sure are acting like it. Arrogant, self satisfied, rude. Just chill out a bit and listen to what someone is saying instead of always being confrontational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City