Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Philadelphia
Chicago 191 69.96%
Philadelphia 82 30.04%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:43 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Chicago has nearly been ruined by the northern migration of southerners. It's an incredible shame. No wonder the city is segregated.

I once heard a girl from Mississippi call Chicago, "the new Mississippi."
It is this type of backwards thinking that keeps America divided. Nice job far leftie!

Chicago had alot of South to North migration early in the 20th century by African Americans due to jobs. You can also see the influence in the music with the blues and jazz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
this is how the majority of Chicagoans sound
YouTube - Jerome Harris Interview it doesn't sound southern to me

this is how Mississippians sound
YouTube - wedding song this is how a lot of people from the
Mississippi Delta(Memphis, parts of AR, and Louisana) sound when they speak...
I honestly don't hear a difference, either between these two or the Detroit example. They all sound southern to me.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
LOL, Chicago by FAR. Plenty of Southerners (black and white) came up that way for jobs ages ago. Hell, most of the blacks there speak with a watered-down Southern accent anyway; and some of them sound like they just stepped off the bus from Greenville, Mississippi!!

I'd like to think that Philadelphia received a signficant amount of Southerners looking for jobs because they're closer to the South than Boston or New York, but I'd also think that Blacks there speak with a more east-coast version of Black Vernacular English.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:49 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
And why are you guys getting so defensive? Both of these cities are hardcore Northern towns, but that doesn't mean that they don't have some Southern influence. In Chicago's case, it's crystal clear if you've ever been in the working class neighborhoods. Take the gentrified, yuppie images of these cities out of your head for two seconds.

It's astonishing how people are so ashamed of the South on City-Data forums; it's like there's a stigma attached to the word South.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:54 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
So when we ask if Virginia Beach or Hampton Roads is "more southern" the correct answer is whichever has more blacks? I see now. 55% after all!!!
The question isn't which city is more southern- it's which has city has more southern influence...I mean duh it's in the title..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:26 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
Now while I will say Chicago, if you've ever rode the bus in Chicago or been around a bunch of high schoolers you won't hear any southern accents. Im from Chicago but currently down south and the people here talk nothing like in Chicago. Actually when I first got here people told me that I talked funny or had an accent. Chicago is a hotspot for blues due to a big southern influence but as far as the speech..no at least not with the younger generations

this is how the majority of Chicagoans sound
YouTube - Jerome Harris Interview it doesn't sound southern to me

this is how Mississippians sound
YouTube - wedding song this is how a lot of people from the
Mississippi Delta(Memphis, parts of AR, and Louisana) sound when they speak...

Obviously they won't be identical. But the only reason why you don't think it's there is because you hear it everyday. But it's there. I can hear it in my cousins everytime I go there. Now just to put this out there. The Westside of Chicago has more of a Southern accent influence than the Southside of Chicago. At least that's my observation.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:31 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
[quote=kazoopilot;8347573]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

Sorry about my earlier sarcastic post, it was just that the last thing that comes to my mind when I think about Philly or Chicago is the south!

55 percent? That seems a little overstated, but I'll take your word for it. I know many blacks live in the rural south, but I assumed many (if not most) left for the north during the great migration.

Let's just throw this out there. These are the states with over a million blacks in each region according to census.

Northeast
New York
New Jersey
Pennsylvania

Midwest
Ohio
Illinois
Michigan

West
California

South
Texas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland (census puts it there)

Even if you didn't count Maryland, the South still has the majority of the blacks in the nation. Texas, Florida, and Georgia will all have over 3 million in the next several years (with Florida and Texas already there) and North Carolina is right behind them with 2.3 million.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
I don't consider 'black' to be synonymous with 'southern influence'. I didn't even know there were people that still thought that way, to be honest. It is 2009, after all.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Chicago has nearly been ruined by the northern migration of southerners. It's an incredible shame. No wonder the city is segregated.

I once heard a girl from Mississippi call Chicago, "the new Mississippi."
I hope you're not talking about blacks from the south because they basically had no choice. Segregation in chicago is alot deeper than what alot of people on c-d think. dont get it twisted

-mas 23-

Old 04-15-2009, 03:50 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I don't consider 'black' to be synonymous with 'southern influence'. I didn't even know there were people that still thought that way, to be honest. It is 2009, after all.
since blacks from the south made a mass exodus to northern cities that extend even beyond the Canadian border-- then yes in this case the word southern is synonymous with black because they brought a lot of southern culture with them that's still present today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City