Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicago or Philadelphia
Chicago 191 69.96%
Philadelphia 82 30.04%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:59 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I don't consider 'black' to be synonymous with 'southern influence'. I didn't even know there were people that still thought that way, to be honest. It is 2009, after all.
What does 2009 have to do with any of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 05:11 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
since blacks from the south made a mass exodus to northern cities that extend even beyond the Canadian border-- then yes in this case the word southern is synonymous with black because they brought a lot of southern culture with them that's still present today.
Is that the story you're sticking with? That black=south and south=black? There's no black culture that isn't southern and there's no southern culture that isn't black?

2009 comes into play when dealing with very antiquated notions. Black people being inherently 'southern' being one, southern people being inherently 'black' the other. They are, after all, synonymous, right?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:15 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Nobody said they are synonymous. And what do you mean when you say "inherently southern"? All I said is they carried a lot of traditions over from the South. That is a fact. And while we're talking about antiquated notions how about all those stereotypes people have about the south? Yes there has been a lot of racism in the south's past but that has gotten better. There is racism everywhere and that's a fact. My father is from Brooklyn and in his opinion New York is more racist than right here in Texas. The south has come into 2009 just like everybody else. Sure we have more problems in certain areas than other regions do. But the same can be said of them.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:48 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Is that the story you're sticking with? That black=south and south=black? There's no black culture that isn't southern and there's no southern culture that isn't black?

2009 comes into play when dealing with very antiquated notions. Black people being inherently 'southern' being one, southern people being inherently 'black' the other. They are, after all, synonymous, right?
there's no point in arguing with you- you still haven't given your opinion about which has more southern influence

Old 04-15-2009, 06:16 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
I hope you're not talking about blacks from the south because they basically had no choice. Segregation in chicago is alot deeper than what alot of people on c-d think. dont get it twisted

-mas 23-
True. Very true.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:39 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Nobody said they are synonymous.
noid_1985 said that, actually. He said exactly that.

Quote:
And what do you mean when you say "inherently southern"?
As in, one cannot be without the other. That's the implication of saying black and southern are synonymous.

Quote:
All I said is they carried a lot of traditions over from the South. That is a fact. And while we're talking about antiquated notions how about all those stereotypes people have about the south? Yes there has been a lot of racism in the south's past but that has gotten better. There is racism everywhere and that's a fact. My father is from Brooklyn and in his opinion New York is more racist than right here in Texas. The south has come into 2009 just like everybody else. Sure we have more problems in certain areas than other regions do. But the same can be said of them.
Okay? No one's even talking about racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
there's no point in arguing with you- you still haven't given your opinion about which has more southern influence
Because it's a ridiculous question. Which one is more Lithuanian: Lima or Ulan Bator? Why would you bother to answer that?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:45 PM

259 posts, read 543,127 times
Im not defensive over the southern influence in chicago but as far as speech....NO lol Im down south right now and Chicago speech sounds nothing like southern speech. There is no way you an look at any of those clips and here any southern accent..go back and listen...or are you just insisting for the sake of your original post....again I understand chicago has southern influences (big southern influences) But speech no lol listen to the clips

Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 PM

128 posts, read 117,045 times
Philadelphia has more southern influence. It's right on the border with the South. Chicago is in the far north of a long northern state. Philadelphia had slaves. It has a large black population, but so does Chicago. I will grant you though that it is probably a close call, because Indiana has a ton of southern influence, although Indiana is midwest.

Philadelphia is a more elitist and commercial city than Chicago though. Chicago is more rust belt. But yes, they have lots of similarities. I think proximity is the main factor though.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,473 times
Is Canada or Russia more southern?

Old 01-15-2015, 02:16 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City