Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Have you seen the murder rate for Raleigh compared to most tier two southern cities? I don't have time to post the numbers right now, but Raleigh has very few murders compared to its peers. Raleigh is as close to perfect as a city can get.

Raleigh is one of the few southern cities one does not need to "watch their back" in. That fact alone should be considered just as much as skylines and night life.
Very subjective. I've been to Raleigh. It DOES have low crime, but perfecet? In who's eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Very subjective. I've been to Raleigh. It DOES have low crime, but perfecet? In who's eyes?
Obviously in America's eyes being that it is the fastest growing metro in the Nation. In fact, the top three fastest growing metros in the Nation are all tier 2 southern cities. What do you feel is missing from Raleigh?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:27 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
My bad. Miami just gets dumped on ALOT on these forums. Even by the same southerners who complain about THERE cities being dumped on.
Well....I live in both Raleigh and Miami metros. I love them both!!!
I do have more specific complaints with Miami but it doesn't kill my love for it.

Miami does get dumped on and much of it comes from its own residents in its own forum.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Metro Charlotte is not a Forum. I claimed that the Triangle Forum was most active. It is.

All needling aside, the two forums are the most active in the nation. That's a pretty strong accomplishment for NC.
Forget it...you're arguing with a wall. He is always right, and will never admit to anything different. The best thing to do is ignore him.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:30 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteacher09 View Post
I beg to differ. I bet you could find tens of thousands that would say those exact words.
Then there would be a lot of stupid people in Raleigh...I don't belive for a second that anyone would say that their city is almost perfect. That's a very immature and short-sighted statement to make.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:29 PM

75 posts, read 218,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Then there would be a lot of stupid people in Raleigh...I don't belive for a second that anyone would say that their city is almost perfect. That's a very immature and short-sighted statement to make.
Why???

Are people not allowed to love where they live?

Believe what you'd like, but I completely stand beside my comment.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2009 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: language

Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Obviously in America's eyes being that it is the fastest growing metro in the Nation. In fact, the top three fastest growing metros in the Nation are all tier 2 southern cities. What do you feel is missing from Raleigh?
I don't know. But perfect is subjective. Miami may even be perfect for some.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You nailed exactly what I would like to see in DT Raleigh...WATER!!! As part of a city charrette last year, citizens participated in a project called Big Ideas Raleigh. I was pleased to see that one of them was to open up a piped up creek that runs through a part of DT and create a river walk type environment along its banks. I am not sure if that will happen or not because it's too hilly to even try to "train" such a creek to go where it would really have the most impact. The very center of the city sits on slightly higher flat piece of ground than the more rolling hills around it. Nonetheless, I am glad to see citizens address the need for some sort of water in DT. We'll just have to wait to see what happens. I am certain that the city will achieve what it intends. It has a good track record. The extensive greenway system and parks & recreation department are a good example.

In the end, Raleigh is not a city where one goes as a tourist. It's a place where people go to live. And, it's also a city that lulls most of its residents into a love affair with it.
Even if they did some kind of Creekwalk somewhere on Crabtree Creek and made it up like, say, an Indianapolis Canal Walk, that would be just great. If they did that, I'd probably pick Raleigh as easily my favorite NC city. If they did that, I'd probably visit as a tourist on a Lexington BBQ festival weekend or something and make it part of a weekend getaway.

Thanks for the links, too.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
If you lived in Raleigh, you would think it was perfect too.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-24-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 PM

75 posts, read 218,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Love where they live? YES.
Perfect? NO...no one in his right mind would say that.
Well, actually, like usual you are stirring the pot where there is no need. If you go back and read, urbancharlotte clearly said CLOSE to perfect, but you usually take it a step further. Anyways, yes, still, tens of thousands of Raleigh citizens would agree with what he said. Don't believe me, take a few minutes to read their forum. Better yet, why don't you ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City