Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 06:46 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,974,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
go ahead, pull out your brownie---and, no, not that one. lol as for me, i have lived in nashville, and now, i return for regular visits. nashville is not even in the running. it has a tiny downtown, the downtown is not dense nor tight physically, and the city has no 2nd, 3rd, and beyond skylines.
Well I grew up in Nashville, and return for regular visits. And it has a happening 2nd street bar/restaurant scene, a happening Broadway restaurant scene, a riverfront park that host one of THE best 4th of July celebrations in the nation, and an awesome Shelby Street pedestrian bridge which connects that riverfront with the Titan's stadium and which also descends over the tops of buildings to the beautifully Greek architectured Schemmerhorn Symphony Building which has regular cultural events. And having a bunch of office buildings sticking up from the ground really means squat because most people who are downtown to enjoy the amenities aren't going to even go into most of those office buildings. Not to mention not being sardined means you can walk and bike around downtown and on the trails and in the parks without having to try to avoid a bunch of other sardines as you're trying to enjoy yourself.

I grew up in Nashville and also lived in Atlanta for several years. Give me Nashville's downtown ANY day between those two. Atlanta doesn't even have a river going through its downtown. And walking or biking up and down Peachtree doesn't exactly give you the warm and fuzzys. Heck, even Nashville's courthouse plaza is better than what Atlanta has. Not to mention the park space around the Tennessee State Capitol being BY FAR superior to what is at the Georgia State Capitol. Nashville is DEFINITELY in the running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,367,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Being a native, I am well acquainted with the 'Atlanta Experience'. Not everyone here lives in the suburbs as you claim...myself included.
The constant comparison of Sunbelt cities to NYC is frankly tiresome.re
My comments (for the most part) are directed towards the poster that seem to think tier 1 southern cities have downtowns that are light years ahead of tier 2 southern cities' downtowns.

In a very cocky way, this poster told all of us who lived in tier 2 towns to take a bus, plane, or train into the downtown area of a tier one city
and take note of the difference. I pointed out that the difference between tier 1 and tier 2 cities of the south is the development outside of downtown (not inside). This poster basically told me I was wrong. That is the ONLY reason why I am bringing up cities like Boston. That is my way of telling this poster to put a sock in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Nashville is DEFINITELY in the running.
You got that right dude!!! I am sooooooo sick and tired of these so called tier 1 cities thinking they have superior EVERYTHING on tier 2 cities (including downtowns). Downtown Nashville consistently ranks higher than downtown Houston and Dallas in a recent city-data thread!!! Some of these guys just don't get it...

My guess is that this poster has never seen dense downtowns like New Orleans, Charleston, or Savannah. He thinks that because a southern town is tier 1, it automatically has a superior downtown above those that are not tier 1. He is dead wrong. And I have SEVERAL pictures that can prove it.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:11 AM

13,362 posts, read 40,032,886 times
Quote:
Well I grew up in Nashville, and return for regular visits. And it has a happening 2nd street bar/restaurant scene, a happening Broadway restaurant scene, a riverfront park that host one of THE best 4th of July celebrations in the nation, and an awesome Shelby Street pedestrian bridge which connects that riverfront with the Titan's stadium and which also descends over the tops of buildings to the beautifully Greek architectured Schemmerhorn Symphony Building which has regular cultural events. And having a bunch of office buildings sticking up from the ground really means squat because most people who are downtown to enjoy the amenities aren't going to even go into most of those office buildings. Not to mention not being sardined means you can walk and bike around downtown and on the trails and in the parks without having to try to avoid a bunch of other sardines as you're trying to enjoy yourself.

I grew up in Nashville and also lived in Atlanta for several years. Give me Nashville's downtown ANY day between those two. Atlanta doesn't even have a river going through its downtown. And walking or biking up and down Peachtree doesn't exactly give you the warm and fuzzys. Heck, even Nashville's courthouse plaza is better than what Atlanta has. Not to mention the park space around the Tennessee State Capitol being BY FAR superior to what is at the Georgia State Capitol. Nashville is DEFINITELY in the running.
You got that right!

I would be more inclined to take kingchef's insane anti-Nashville rants more seriously if he were comparing Nashville to, say, Atlanta or Houston. But check out the Tennessee forum to see his true motive: he tears down Nashville only to build up Memphis. While I love Memphis, to claim that Nashville's downtown is "tiny" compared to Memphis is absurd and delusional.

Nashville's downtown is nothing to be ashamed of when compared to its peer cities (Birmingham, Louisville, Memphis, Jacksonville, Orlando, Raleigh, OKC, SLC, and others). Really the only Southern city on Nashville's level with a more impressive skyline is Charlotte, and Charlotte's skyline stacks up really well with some Tier 1 cities, too.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 AM

23,509 posts, read 44,182,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You got that right!

I would be more inclined to take kingchef's insane anti-Nashville rants more seriously if he were comparing Nashville to, say, Atlanta or Houston. But check out the Tennessee forum to see his true motive: he tears down Nashville only to build up Memphis. While I love Memphis, to claim that Nashville's downtown is "tiny" compared to Memphis is absurd and delusional.

Nashville's downtown is nothing to be ashamed of when compared to its peer cities (Birmingham, Louisville, Memphis, Jacksonville, Orlando, Raleigh, OKC, SLC, and others). Really the only Southern city on Nashville's level with a more impressive skyline is Charlotte, and Charlotte's skyline stacks up really well with some Tier 1 cities, too.
I'll second that! There is no comparison whatsoever; Nashville has a thriving entertainment district downtown, while Memphis' much touted Beale Street was frankly a big letdown for this visitor. The rest of Memphis' downtown was just bleak.
The first impression I remember of Nashville was how surprisingly cosmopolitan it was for a mid-sized city in the South. It is IMO the Crown Jewel of Tennessee.
As far as Charlotte goes, I was just visiting my sister there last week, shopping around Southpark and having a big time. To me Charlotte feels like a Tier 2 city that is on the verge of Tier 1 status...much like Atlanta 25 years ago.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Really the only Southern city on Nashville's level with a more impressive skyline is Charlotte, and Charlotte's skyline stacks up really well with some Tier 1 cities, too.
Here is my shout out to Nashville. The following is from a guy (Michael) who loves Nashville just as much as I do. Maybe even more than I do. Enjoy!!!

Rythm @ Music Row:

Capital Hill and etc.

Icon and Terrazzo Condominiums: Terrazzo is almost ready for tennants!

Looking down 5th Ave. with Pinnacle on the far right.

West End

West End & Downtown

Downtown

Murfreesboro all nice and sprawled out!!

Nissan Smyrna Assembly. A sign of the times everyone....

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,854,491 times
Lets add Fort Worth to this equation as well. Fort Worth metro without Dallas serves over 2 million people. Fort Worth has out grown Dallas for the last 6 or 7 years. Fort Worth is the fastest growing city in the region. DFW has a population of 6.5 million +. The city of Fort Worth is home to 9 fortune 500 companies the last time I checked and 8 billionaires. This city is not a slouch in its on right.

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com...t-02-06-09.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9b/DTFW.JPG/800px-DTFW.JPG (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9b/DTFW.JPG/800px-DTFW.JPG (broken link)

Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,979,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Boston

Houston

Charlotte

photo's courtesy of flickr

Boston and Houston are tier 1 cities. Charlotte is a tier 2 city. You tell me which downtown Houston resembles the most. Unfortunately, pictures are NOTHING like seeing Boston vs. Houston in person. Boston is soooooooo much more urban than ANYTHING in the south that it is unreal!!!

Why is it sooooo hard for you to understand that tier 1 Boston is light years ahead of tier 1 Houston? You seem to think that Houston and the likes are light years ahead of tier two southern towns. They are ahead. They are just not light years ahead like Boston. Get it. Good!!!

One other thing. I do realize that there is much more to Houston than this partial downtown photo. However, you were the one that told us tier two dwellers to drive, fly, or whatever into the DOWNTOWNS of the tier one cities and take note of what we see. As if to suggest that people that live in tier 2 cities have no clue of what a tier 1 city looks like. Well I've got news for you pal. The entire northeast thinks of EVERYTHING south of DC as 'country'. If you don't believe, go to NYC or Boston's forum and explain to them why tier 1 cities like Houston and Atlanta are more like Boston and Philly than they are like Charlotte and watch what happens. You will see nothing but attitudes just like mine. Try it and see... Good luck!!!
How does being more urban making one any better than the other? Personally I couldn't care less how urban things in the North are. They are more urban...so what?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM

^^^^^Big ups to Fort Worth!!!! The city is looking good from what I see!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
How does being more urban making one any better than the other? Personally I couldn't care less how urban things in the North are. They are more urban...so what?
Dude, just post some pics of Austin and . I am defending the tier 2 southern cities incase you haven't noticed.

I'll start with this Awesome pic of Austin from the SoCo neighborhood!!!

Photo by Sabotai

Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,351,282 times
Default squatters rights...

Quote:

if you are speaking for the majority, you have to concede that most people neither bike nor walk in nashville, and certainly, there is no problem w/ being "sardined" anywhere. to me, these are observations by people who see this venue as a means of recreation: not as gospel proclaimation.
it is good you can have your opinion. i happen to disagree w/ you for the accurate reasons stated elsewhere. beyond the small cluster of downtown buildings in these tier 2 cities, notice the outshots of rural areas. tier 1 cities have much greater density, and it shows. actually, i have not been in downtown austin in almost three years. it is, however, a somewhat smaller downtown than i remember. i thought there was another significant skyline clustered in the south district. maybe not. to conclude, tier one cities can clearly be defined by their sheer size and density of their downtowns, not to mention the other criteria that makes them first tier in the eyes of the nation and world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City