Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
New York City 64 26.02%
Los Angeles 170 69.11%
None of them 12 4.88%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:19 PM

252 posts, read 960,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-201 View Post
Yes, but it's still called wet season, even though it only rains for few days a month during that period.
I've never heard anyone in LA talk about it being the "wet" season. We just say it's winter or ***** about it being cold.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Chester NY is both West and North and about 60 miles away from NYC in the mountains, and it's one of the most safest cities in the US... It's probably the country air that you hated.
I'm surprised, especially since LA is one of the smoggiest polluted cities in the country..
Several California cities are in the list of the 25 safest cities in the U.S.
Including Mission Viejo, Thousand Oaks, Lake Forest, Chino Hills, Glendale and Simi Valley.

As for smog, there are quite a few areas in which the air quality is surprisingly good and the air is definitely better now than it was in the '60s and '70s.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:43 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I picked NYC because I like 4 seasons. I live in Florida now. No thanks, for anywhere with year round summer.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:29 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Why do people think CA is hot? And why do they assume it has the same weather all year?

I'd say LA is mild in the winter, with upper-60s daytime highs usually, and lows in the high 40s. Plus they get a nice Marine layer in May and June. Then they get rain in the winter. The trees also lose leaves by the end of December and start blossoming 2 months later. lol.

Seems like a lotta NYC homers up in here. 4 seasons are cool, but seriously, it can be a hassle. Rain in the summer, humidity, it sucks. In LA you know it isn't going to rain on your parade in the summer.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
^^^ 4 season isn't that bad. Especially during a holiday that you associate with a particular season. Example. I would hate to spend Christmas in LA. Though I hate it when it snows too much, seeing the white stuff falling and the cold air hitting your face during that time of year is magical.

Another holiday is Thanksgiving. I can't for the life of me, live in an area in which it is in the mid 70s in and it feels more like spring. If I have a nice cool 50 degree day, with a slightly overcast sky, and orange, gold, and yellow leaves on the ground, then I know it is Turkey Day.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
It's probably the country air that you hated.
I'm surprised, especially since LA is one of the smoggiest polluted cities in the country..
Actually New York has some of the most polluted air in the country as well.

Worst, best cities for air quality listed - Environment- msnbc.com

Old 05-01-2009, 10:05 AM

202 posts, read 1,008,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
^^^ 4 season isn't that bad. Especially during a holiday that you associate with a particular season. Example. I would hate to spend Christmas in LA. Though I hate it when it snows too much, seeing the white stuff falling and the cold air hitting your face during that time of year is magical.

Another holiday is Thanksgiving. I can't for the life of me, live in an area in which it is in the mid 70s in and it feels more like spring. If I have a nice cool 50 degree day, with a slightly overcast sky, and orange, gold, and yellow leaves on the ground, then I know it is Turkey Day.
You're 100% right!

Old 05-01-2009, 10:09 AM

41 posts, read 120,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post

EXACTLY...thats what YOU are accustomed to

The same thing can be said for someone from L.A...they couldn't for the life of them picture a blistering cold, snowy day on christmas.

It just doesn't happen there or in the two powerhouse regions of the SF Bay Area and L.A County

Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,609,698 times
Its what a person is accustom to at holidays. In Los Angeles, Thanksgiving is generally quite mild [November average max: 70's] so the holiday generally means t-shirt weather. Same for Christmas [though average max is near 70F]. I can hardly remember a Christmas that wasn't sunny & where relatives are outside having a beer & kids playing with their toys in the yard. Even the Rose Parade on New Year's Day is almost always sunny & mild [how many Rose Bowl games aren't around 70F?].

Really, there isn't much in the way of seasons in SoCal. Winter is essentially when it rains but storms are mostly only one or two a month & just a few days of actually rainfall. Spring is coolish [70's] & by May coastal clouds are common each morning. Summer is warm but generally not too hot [depending how far one lives from the ocean]. There is some humidity but mostly it is quite comfortable [80's]. And autumn is the second summer w/ less humidity & sometimes quite hot days due to off-shore winds ['santa ana wind'] & mostly in the 80's.

It really doesn't take very long to get use to the climate here because it doesn't change very much & you don't need warm clothes [so you can safe money]. I wear flip-flop\ sandals all year long [when it gets cold, I put on socks

Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
It is amusing to see people claim its "hot" in SoCal. It's very rarely "hot" by East Coast uncomfortable standards. If you like drastic changes in climate- that's fine. But don't try to suggest SoCal feels like an East Coast Summer- its 65-75 in the "winter" and 70-85 in the "summer with low humidity with only a few really hot days. You may not like that, but it isn't "hot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City