Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has overall better climate?
New York City 64 26.02%
Los Angeles 170 69.11%
None of them 12 4.88%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
It is amusing to see people claim its "hot" in SoCal. It's very rarely "hot" by East Coast uncomfortable standards. If you like drastic changes in climate- that's fine. But don't try to suggest SoCal feels like an East Coast Summer- its 65-75 in the "winter" and 70-85 in the "summer with low humidity with only a few really hot days. You may not like that, but it isn't "hot".
Yeah, but those are coastal conditions\ temps. The valleys are quite a bit warmer during summer & most would considered them hot [90's]. And the deserts are another story all together.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:13 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJose_121 View Post
EXACTLY...thats what YOU are accustomed to

The same thing can be said for someone from L.A...they couldn't for the life of them picture a blistering cold, snowy day on christmas.

It just doesn't happen there or in the two powerhouse regions of the SF Bay Area and L.A County
It is not only what I am accustomed to, it is what the general public is accustomed to. When one think of 'Christmas', one will no doubt think of snow and cold temps. The same can be said about Thanksgiving. No doubt, the image of fall colors and cooler temps.

If I were to make the perfect Christmas movie, it would no doubt, have to have the winter image. All the great Holiday movies in the past: A Christmas Story, Home Alone, A Miracle on 34th St, A Christmas Carrol, etc all show the setting is also as important as the plot.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,689,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
It is not only what I am accustomed to, it is what the general public is accustomed to. When one think of 'Christmas', one will no doubt think of snow and cold temps. The same can be said about Thanksgiving. No doubt, the image of fall colors and cooler temps.

If I were to make the perfect Christmas movie, it would no doubt, have to have the winter image. All the great Holiday movies in the past: A Christmas Story, Home Alone, A Miracle on 34th St, A Christmas Carrol, etc all show the setting is also as important as the plot.
WoOoOooO

That's what I think all together.
Holidays have to match the season IMO.. I spent Christmas with my Grandpa in FL once.. blech. The holiday dec up looks corny, especially when it's 80 degrees and you're wearing shorts.
I totally agree with people loving the LA weather too, it's quite normal for people to love it.. but it shouldn't be considered a bizarre mystery of why people would rather choose the North East 4 season weather instead of jumping to the assumption of "It's jealousy" .

Old 05-01-2009, 09:03 PM

202 posts, read 1,008,437 times
To be honest, I'm sick and tired of the cloudy, rainy & humid days here!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:09 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJose_121 View Post
liking "4 seasons" is a concept made up by people that aren't lucky enough to have good weather...deal with it
I agree. LOL

Old 05-01-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
i dont think that really substitutes for winter. I know those kids must be mad cause they dont get a snow day. Sticking with NY. love the change in seasons and the variety of weather, like the beautiful fog(not smog) that rises over the city in day light, sometimes it snows while its bright and sunny outside with a mix of mist and fog. Whats interesting lately is the freakish rain weve been getting. The thunder seems to be getting more violent. One night it was so strong alot of car alarms starting going off. Then you have those sunny days that seem normal and wind speeds pick up at a fast pace. Something different almost every time.
Snowdays are fun only sometimes.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 PM

No offense to any NY'ers but having 4 seasons is SUPER overrated, the plants die, then they comeback. WOW. I choose LA no contest.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:28 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No offense to any NY'ers but having 4 seasons is SUPER overrated, the plants die, then they comeback. WOW. I choose LA no contest.
Really? I think these pictures show the true beauty of 4 seasons:

Nanjing, China :from wikipedia:

Spring:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Njspring.jpg (broken link)

Summer:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Njsummer.jpg (broken link)

Fall:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Njautumn.jpg (broken link)

Winter:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Njwinter.jpg (broken link)

This is the beauty that nature has giving us, why would I want to live somewhere, where it is 75 all year long? Now that is boring.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Really? I think these pictures show the true beauty of 4 seasons:

Nanjing, China :from wikipedia:

Spring:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Njspring.jpg (broken link)

Summer:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f9/Njsummer.jpg (broken link)

Fall:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Njautumn.jpg (broken link)

Winter:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Njwinter.jpg (broken link)

This is the beauty that nature has giving us, why would I want to live somewhere, where it is 75 all year long? Now that is boring.
Cool photos. The seasons do look nice, but me personally being a hater of cold weather, I guess I would prefer a place that's 75 degrees all year around. And because outer LA county has so may mountain ranges that have snow, and skiing and all that good stuff.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,688,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
i dont think that really substitutes for winter. I know those kids must be mad cause they dont get a snow day. Sticking with NY. love the change in seasons and the variety of weather, like the beautiful fog(not smog) that rises over the city in day light, sometimes it snows while its bright and sunny outside with a mix of mist and fog. Whats interesting lately is the freakish rain weve been getting. The thunder seems to be getting more violent. One night it was so strong alot of car alarms starting going off. Then you have those sunny days that seem normal and wind speeds pick up at a fast pace. Something different almost every time.
I Don't like shoveling winters,I Can't stand anything below 60,Hate Humidity in the summer,I Like the rain a lot to clean the air,I Like the Santa ana's during the Winters b/c it comfortable around 75-80 with the wind clearing out the smog.the weather here doesn't require me to cancel a outdoor activity.Who says California doesn't have Seasons?
1.July-Early October-Hot,to Warm
2.Late Oct-April-Cold/Wet/(Mild to Cold)
3.October-Early march- Santa Ana's
4.May/June-Fog,Marine layer(June Gloom)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City