Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,637,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
When I think of NYC, No Particular sports team comes to mind,...
Not even Baseball? That Yankees alone, have won 26 WS and played in 39.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,970,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
The Clippers have fans???
You've never heard of 'Clipper Nation'?

They came out of the woodwork during the last playoff run.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:20 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,755,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Not even Baseball? That Yankees alone, have won 26 WS and played in 39.
Nope. Not a Basketball fan. The Yankees are good, but NY has more going on then sports IMO

Old 05-04-2009, 10:47 PM

793 posts, read 1,454,881 times
1. Boston
2. Chicago
3. Philly
4. New York
5. Pittsburgh
6. Detroit
7. Green Bay/Milwaukee
8. Bay Area
9. St. Louis
10. Dallas

Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,637,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Nope. Not a Basketball fan. The Yankees are good, but NY has more going on then sports IMO
You should research about NYC sports, especially Baseball. The Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, and Giants, all have a mark on this city. Baseball is more than a sport in NYC, it is woven into the very fabric of this city.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
You should research about NYC sports, especially Baseball. The Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, and Giants, all have a mark on this city. Baseball is more than a sport in NYC, it is woven into the very fabric of this city.
I picked my list based on whether or not sports, or a particular team came to mind when I thought of a particular city. I know NYC loves its Baseball, and thats fine. The Yankees spring train in Tampa, so I know about it. But my list is based on MY opinion.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:20 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,021,576 times
My take, no particular order. Though they are numbered so I in my simple mind can keep track !
I picked these cities based (partially) on if the sports teams are 1 of the first things that usually comes to mind when one hears a city mentioned. That conveys that the city is identified with that sports team, even to non-sports fans.

1. Boston (Red Sox have a cult following almost. Pats are the most successful NFL franchise of this generation.)
2. Denver (The QB of the Denver Broncos is the most important job in the state of Colorado. Rox get solid support, despite their lack of success. Avs are usually in the mix every year.)
3. Cleveland (Very loyal fans.)
4. St. Louis (Great venues downtown, Cards are a solid franchise, and the Rams brought a Super Bowl Title to this city.)
5. Green Bay (Pound for pound, one of the greatest sports cities in the country.)
6. Chicago (Great storied franchises in MLB and NFL.)
7. New York City (Yankees: the biggest team in all of sports.)
8. Dallas (The city that spawned America's Team. Although over-hyped, the Cowboys get a lot of attention no matter where you go.)
9. Indianapolis (Indy 500, host to the NFL combine, Colts, Pacers, etc...overall a good sports town.)
10. Pittsburgh (Can't argue with 6 SB wins. 5 World Series isn't bad, and a couple of Stanley Cups thrown in for safe measure.)

I considered everything from fan loyalty to success of the teams, to appeal of venues. If you want to talk small NCAA Football towns, thats a whole different topic! And that's what makes sports great, they all bring something special to the city they are in.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
My take, no particular order. Though they are numbered so I in my simple mind can keep track !
I picked these cities based (partially) on if the sports teams are 1 of the first things that usually comes to mind when one hears a city mentioned. That conveys that the city is identified with that sports team, even to non-sports fans.

1. Boston (Red Sox have a cult following almost. Pats are the most successful NFL franchise of this generation.)
2. Denver (The QB of the Denver Broncos is the most important job in the state of Colorado. Rox get solid support, despite their lack of success. Avs are usually in the mix every year.)
3. Cleveland (Very loyal fans.)
4. St. Louis (Great venues downtown, Cards are a solid franchise, and the Rams brought a Super Bowl Title to this city.)
5. Green Bay (Pound for pound, one of the greatest sports cities in the country.)
6. Chicago (Great storied franchises in MLB and NFL.)
7. New York City (Yankees: the biggest team in all of sports.)
8. Dallas (The city that spawned America's Team. Although over-hyped, the Cowboys get a lot of attention no matter where you go.)
9. Indianapolis (Indy 500, host to the NFL combine, Colts, Pacers, etc...overall a good sports town.)
10. Pittsburgh (Can't argue with 6 SB wins. 5 World Series isn't bad, and a couple of Stanley Cups thrown in for safe measure.)

I considered everything from fan loyalty to success of the teams, to appeal of venues. If you want to talk small NCAA Football towns, thats a whole different topic! And that's what makes sports great, they all bring something special to the city they are in.
Great list.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,495,614 times
1. New York City

NFL - Giants and Jets
MLB - Yankees and Mets
NHL - Rangers, Islanders and Devils
NBA - Knicks and Nets
NCAA - Rutgers, Seton Hall and MSG holds NCAA basketball tournaments

2. Boston

NFL - Patriots
MLB - Red Sox fans are nuts
NHL - Bruins
NBA - Celtics
NCAA - Boston College

3. Philly - I hate Philly fans with a passion, but they deserve #3

NFL - Eagles
MLB - Phillies
NHL - Flyers
NBA - 76ers
NCAA - Villanova

4. Chicago

NFL - Bears
MLB - Cubs and White Sox
NHL - Blackhawks
NBA - Bulls
NCAA - Depaul

5. DC (I am throwing in the Baltimore teams because it is only 45 minutes from DC)

NFL - Redskins, Ravens
MLB - Nationals, Orioles
NHL - Capitals
NBA - Wizards
NCAA - Georgetown

6. Dallas

NFL - Cowboys
MLB - Rangers
NHL - Stars
NBA - Mavs

7. LA

NFL - ? (This hurts their ranking)
NHL - Kings
NBA - Lakers, Clippers
NCAA - University of Southern Cal, UCLA, University of California

8. Atlanta

NFL - Falcons
MLB - Braves ( I hate that team)
NHL - Thrashers
NBA - Hawks
NCAA - Geogia Teach

9. SF

NFL - 49ers
MLB - Giants
NHL - Sharks
NBA - Warriors
NCAA - ?

10. Detriot

NFL - Lions
MLB - Tigers
NHL - Red Wings
NBA - Pistons
NCAA - ?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:49 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Good job including the NCAA teams in your list. In some areas, those are bigger than professional sports. Like in Norman, Oklahoma; Columbus, Ohio; or Auburn, Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City