Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,917,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
No. I enjoy watching all the Boston sports teams play. I could do without the haughty fans though.

I'm a pretty big fan of several sports and I do like to see my favorite teams win. However, I never have understood that overwhelming sense of pride that people feel when a bunch of guys who they don't know, will probably never meet, and who usually are not even FROM that area, play their sport well enough to beat out the competition. Why should that endow an onlooker with a sense of superiority about themselves or the region in which they happen to reside? You don't see many sports stars treating each other this way... like I'm better than you because I play for THIS team. They usually treat each other with common respect and dignity and let their personal talents speak for themselves. Why can't their fans do the same?

You go into elementary schools and post flyers explaining how Santa Claus isn't real, don't you?

I hope someday you find happiness in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 12:43 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
You go into elementary schools and post flyers explaining how Santa Claus isn't real, don't you?

I hope someday you find happiness in life.
No, I do not. What do New England sports have to do with Santa?

When the Sox came to SF for the first time in over 80 years, bringing many of their hometown fans with them, I did not view the ferocious fistfights or the throwing of sharp objects at passersby as a source of fun or happiness.

Last edited by treedonkey; 05-06-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Old 05-09-2009, 07:06 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I excluded Philly because there fans are the worst in the country. And you helped prove that by being the first to complain on this thread. Congratulations
LMAO @ you. Real fans use annoying cowbells, right?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
3. Philly - I hate Philly fans with a passion, but they deserve #3

NFL - Eagles
MLB - Phillies
NHL - Flyers
NBA - 76ers
NCAA - Villanova
There's a lot more to NCAA sports than Nova. Nova isn't even a city school...

Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,751,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
LMAO @ you. Real fans use annoying cowbells, right?
Real fans don't boo EVERYONE including Santa and their own team.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
This thread should be refined by type of sport. For instance, New York would win in baseball, but wouldn't register in the top 5 for the other three team sports IMO. Philadelphia would be top 5 in football and hockey, but not in the top 10 for baseball and basketball. Detroit would be in the top 5 for hockey and basketball, and so on and so forth. NCAA team sports would bode well for southern and midwestern schools for football, and mid atlantic for basketball.
I laughed out loud.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Real fans don't boo EVERYONE including Santa and their own team.
Ummm real fans boo their own teams.
Real fans dont need cowbells.
Real fans know the Canes dont play in Charlotte LMAO.

Dont get me started with the Santa Clause crap. I'm not surprised you know nothing about what really happened. You just buy into the crap the media tells you about the 'incident'.

Tampa sports...

Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 PM

156 posts, read 378,319 times
Almost OT: why is that irrational affection & attention to local sports teams thought to be a plus?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Almost OT: why is that irrational affection & attention to local sports teams thought to be a plus?
Who says it's irrational?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,971,739 times
It depends what criteria you are judging the cities by. Most professional franchises? Most people who follow multiple sports or best sports atmosphere overall? Going just by Atmosphere I would say all the big time college football towns would win this. Places like Austin, Columbus, Tuscaloosa, Ann Arbor, Gainesville, Norman, Baton Rouge, University Park, Pa.

There is no better American sports atmosphere than a big time college football game.

Now if we are talking about pro sports then that list seems about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City