Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 12:07 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,767,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Right buddy. Enjoy the cowbells LMAO
And you enjoy booing as the only way to celebrate your team, ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,228,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Nah. I celebrate my team by enjoying this:

Old 05-11-2009, 07:47 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,251,359 times
Quote:

You wont detail the Santa incident because you dont know what happened.
Both Tampa and Philly have their plusses and minuses when it comes to sports and and fan interaction.

I dont know how accurate this story is but this is the legend that is being passed down.

Heavy snow prevented the original Santa from showing up to an Eagles in which they were getting trounced. At halftime they dressed up some skinny stumbling drunken guy in a Santa outfit to walk around the stadium waving to the kids. The fans already in a surly mood because the Eagles were getting destroyed took their frustations out on the malnourished drunken Santa by pelting him with snowballs.

Thats the story I have heard which happened nearly 45 years ago.

Last edited by rainrock; 05-11-2009 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,881,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I dont know how accurate this story is but this is the legend that is being passed down.

Heavy snow prevented the original Santa from showing up to an Eagles in which they were getting trounced. At halftime they dressed up some skinny stumbling drunken guy in a Santa outfit to walk around the stadium waving to the kids. The fans already in a surly mood because the Eagles were getting destroyed took their frustations out on the malnourished drunken Santa by pelting him with snowballs.

Thats the story I have heard but that was nearly 45 years ago and yet the national media always seems to get that dig in their towards Philly fans.
That's what I've always heard as well, though I think a lot of Philadelphians let others like Tampa keep their inaccurate ideas because, on some level, they like being viewed as a tough town. I'm proud of the fact that fans booed the mayor when he christened the vet and the bank. I'm proud of the fact that we can call them as we see them, we're not a bunch of Tampa sheeple that never show up to games anyway. I probably would have booed that drunken santa too, in fact, I feel ready to boo Joe Banner as it is. Wasn't it in Texas or OK where a Texas-OK college football rivalry turned deadly?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:22 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,499,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
That's what I've always heard as well, though I think a lot of Philadelphians let others like Tampa keep their inaccurate ideas because, on some level, they like being viewed as a tough town. I'm proud of the fact that fans booed the mayor when he christened the vet and the bank. I'm proud of the fact that we can call them as we see them, we're not a bunch of Tampa sheeple that never show up to games anyway. I probably would have booed that drunken santa too, in fact, I feel ready to boo Joe Banner as it is. Wasn't it in Texas or OK where a Texas-OK college football rivalry turned deadly?
Guys, guys... can't we all just agree (and be happy) in knowing this is one fight us Houstonians can't win? Houstonians can admit we like our Rockets... when they win. We like our Astros... when they win. We like our Oilers... wait, where did our Oilers go?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:27 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,767,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Nah. I celebrate my team by enjoying this:
Wheres your superbowl championship?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,073,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXperson View Post
I'm basing this list off of how loyal/hardcore/crazy/active the fanbase is:

1. Boston (Boston fans are just nuts)
2. New York City
3. Philadelphia
4. Chicago
5. Pittsburgh
6. Bay Area
7. St. Louis
8. Cleveland (moreso the fanbase than the teams)
9. Los Angeles
10. Indianapolis
---------------------
11. Milwaukee
12. DC/Baltimore
13. Denver
14. Dallas
15. Atlanta
If you're going off a loyal/hardcore/crazy/active fanbase, then Minneapolis - St. Paul should be included as the Wild currently has the longest sellout streak in the NHL at over 300 sellouts (including playoffs). That's 18,500+ every home game.

Last edited by BlackOut; 05-11-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 11:48 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,499,433 times
Quote:
Philadelphi has done alright through the years:
Asvrcek23's Sport Fact for the day- All Philadelphia Championships

Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,501,712 times
Quote:
When it comes to using cowbells, thundersticks, etc, I'm with JHG. Soccer moms can use cowbells and thundersticks to show their "passion" for the game.

The Terrible Towel is completely different from using a cowbell. When you see someone using a cowbell or thunder sticks, they're fat-assed, lazy fans, often sitting while "cheering"...when you see a Terrible Towel swinging, there is a crazy Pittsburgh fan underneath it, screaming their head off....it's on a completely different level than cowbells.

When I was going to Clemson for college, I wouldn't have a voice every Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday because I had screamed too much the Saturday before (if it was a home game). That's how crazy fans usually are.

I think the funniest thing I saw in the history of sports was during the Rays-Red Sox playoff series last year. The Mayor of Tampa was hosting a "fan rally" which consisted of him standing outside in front of a projection screen with about 50 people who had shown up in lawn chairs. HARDCORE.

What's even funnier was when I saw the sports page of a Tampa newspaper where they proclaimed themselves "Titletown USA".

Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,228,391 times
Quote:
We have two more NFL championships than the Bucs. Don't even compare the Bucs to the Eagles, because that's a joke...Yeah, we've never won a Super Bowl, but we're one of the most successful franchises in the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City