Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:04 PM

467 posts, read 873,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The difference between DC and say Sacramento is the difference between hot chili burning your mouth and someone throwing gas on you and lighting a match. DC decisions are world decisions. Life or death! Example: Cuban Missile Crisis. The UN has no power at all. Bush proved that fact with Iraq.

Power brokers in DC are bailing out Wall Street & Detroit. Government agencies like the IRS touch American citizen. Keep thinking that DC is a non player in the grand scheme of things.
The same way Sacramento houses states dept of revenue and the power brokers there bail out the entire state.
First they take the money from the state and then they use it to bali out the state. Same with DC: it bails us out with our own money Thanks, DC.

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-31-2009 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 12:02 AM

467 posts, read 873,916 times
Those funny little prairie dogs...

Old 06-01-2009, 10:13 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
The same way Sacramento houses states dept of revenue and the power brokers there bail out the entire state.
First they take the money from the state and then they use it to bali out the state. Same with DC: it bails us out with our own money Thanks, DC.
Yep, DC pretty much has everyone (domestic and foreign) by the balls. You feel that squeeze? That's not me, that's DC. And that's power.

Again, since it was missed the first time, I'm being facetious. DC's ranking is a funny thing since by a lot of metrics, such as metro and city population and GDP, it's bested by a lot of cities. I'm not sure where I'd put DC.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yep, DC pretty much has everyone (domestic and foreign) by the balls. You feel that squeeze? That's not me, that's DC. And that's power.

Again, since it was missed the first time, I'm being facetious. DC's ranking is a funny thing since by a lot of metrics, such as metro and city population and GDP, it's bested by a lot of cities. I'm not sure where I'd put DC.
Well the DC CSA is the fourth largest and it's GDP is the third largest.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:31 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Exactly. Here in California, we are facing a major budget crisis. This state is about to fall apart budget-wise. When you watch the local news, everyone is talking about Sacramento. Everyone is "looking to Sacramento for the answers", just like everyone will be "looking to DC" for the answers to an international crisis with North Korea or whatever. California is an enormous state on a scale that is difficult to comprehend. It's virtually a mini-nation. The decisions made in Sacramento will affect the lives of 37 million people. However, this situation hardly makes Sacramento the most important city in California. Just because the political decisions regarding California's budget future aren't being made in Los Angeles, San Francisco, or San Diego, that in no way makes those cities second-fiddle to Sacramento.
But they're just talking about the State's budget - just like when we refer to "Washington" we're talking about the Federal Government.

No one is actually talking about Sacramento physically. They're talking about the state of California.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:53 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,196 times
Quote:
All would probably agree that New York and LA are number one and two US cities but who is number three? Is it DC for its political imapct on the planet, Chicago or Houston for their business might, SF for culture or Boston for education?

Please vote and then support your opinion with comments and verifiable data.

Thanks,
Lawl, what a bad topic for discussion. It's pretty obvious the cities are ranked:

1. D.C
2. NYC
3. Chicago

L.A brings nothing to the table except the media. It may take in imports from Asia, but that's really about it...

Old 06-01-2009, 01:02 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
But they're just talking about the State's budget - just like when we refer to "Washington" we're talking about the Federal Government.

No one is actually talking about Sacramento physically. They're talking about the state of California.
So are you saying that whenever people refer to “Washington” they are just talking about the government there and not the actual city? Because if that argument applies to Sacramento, wouldn’t it also apply to DC, and therefore would support my argument that DC is not the most important city in the United States? Yes, I know the decisions made in Washington have a much greater impact than those made in state capitals, but the same principals still apply. I constantly hear the argument that DC is the most important city in the country simply because it is where the federal government is located and all the important decisions at the national level are made there and that’s end of story. I say if that’s the case, why not apply that to the state level as well? The decisions made in the state capitals are important to those individual states just as the decisions made at the national level are important to the nation as a whole.

But I’m not arguing degrees of importance; I’m arguing against the actual principal that just being the capital of a state/region automatically makes that place the most vital city in that entity. Regardless of whether people are referring to the state of California or the city of Sacramento, all the important decisions regarding the budget crisis are being made in Sacramento. That’s where our state lawmakers are voting, that’s where the money will be coming from. At the state government level, Sacramento is the most powerful city in California. But California minus Sacramento isn’t nearly the difference that California minus San Francisco or Los Angeles would be. Now if you want to talk about the actual city of DC, and the size of its economy, etc. – that I’m willing to listen to. But not this, “well it’s the capital so end of story”.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:22 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Lawl, what a bad topic for discussion. It's pretty obvious the cities are ranked:

1. D.C
2. NYC
3. Chicago

L.A brings nothing to the table except the media. It may take in imports from Asia, but that's really about it...
So you're going to sit there and say that the media isn't important? The media controls how the people feel about federal legislature! It doesn't matter how good a politician or lawmaker is unless people know about it. I mean, you can't take a GOVERNMENT class without learning about how the MEDIA affects government. There are whole classes dedicated to the topic! Ever heard of checks and balances? Well that applies to these cities as well, DC keeps LA in check by making laws restricting inappropriate material and LA counters that by projecting its views of those laws to the public.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
And Chicago brings nothing to the table except its place in finance.

I can think of 825 Billion things that LA brings to the table.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Of course it is. It's the second largest city, second largest metro, second largest local economy, it's the national and international media and entertainment center. On top of it is located in California.
Exactly.

Of course, this logic bruises many an ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City