Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:36 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Oooor a failure to read what is written.
Did you, did you miss this part of my post "Movies and TV shows have the ability to change the way people feel about issues, probably less so than news media obviously." I agreed...damn.
Oh, shoot. My b, G.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Oh, shoot. My b, G.
It's all good, people don't read parts of stuff all the time--like their movie ticket stubs. They ask me to repeat what movie theater their movie is in, even though their ticket clearly says "Auditorium X." Drives me more nuts than anything on this site.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And Chicago brings nothing to the table except its place in finance.

I can think of 825 Billion things that LA brings to the table.
Chicago's GDP is higher per capita. L.A's is just bigger because the larger metro area. So infact, Chicago brings more to the table

Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM

281 posts, read 928,608 times
There is not much contest here. I'm willing to concede LA has passed Chicago as #2, but the others are not contenders. Houston is tops in the petroleum industries, but nothing else. Also DC is focused on government but it is not the source of government power. Right now, Chicago dominates federal politics.

SF and Boston are both lovely cities (I was born in SF), but I am hard pressed to see what impact they have at all on the rest of the country. The hi-tech industries center in San Jose and the southern peninsula; it is a stretch to attribute it to SF. Boston is enormously important to American history, but what has it done lately?

Chicago is at the center of transportation, agriculture and industry. It still holds a good claim on #2, but for #3, there is no contest.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Is it a stretch to include Cambridge with Boston?

Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
There is not much contest here. I'm willing to concede LA has passed Chicago as #2, but the others are not contenders. Houston is tops in the petroleum industries, but nothing else. Also DC is focused on government but it is not the source of government power. Right now, Chicago dominates federal politics.

SF and Boston are both lovely cities (I was born in SF), but I am hard pressed to see what impact they have at all on the rest of the country. The hi-tech industries center in San Jose and the southern peninsula; it is a stretch to attribute it to SF. Boston is enormously important to American history, but what has it done lately?

Chicago is at the center of transportation, agriculture and industry. It still holds a good claim on #2, but for #3, there is no contest.
Well, Boston is the #3 finance city in the country (#9 in the world), it's one of the leaders in biotechnology/pharmaceuticals, it's the leader in medical research, and obviously it's tops in higher education.

Notable financial services companies from Boston include State Street Bank, Fidelity Investments, Liberty Mutual, Bain & Co., Thomas H. Lee Partners, Advent International, TA Associates, and the regional headquarters of Bank of America and Sovereign Bank.

Major biotech/pharma firms in the Boston area include Genzyme, Biogen Idec, Millipore, Millenium Pharmaceuticals, and the North American headquarters of Novartis. Most major biotech firms in the country have a significant presence in the Boston area.

Other notable firms headquartered in the Boston area are The Boston Consulting Group (arguably the most prestigious management consulting firms on the planet), EMC Corp, Analog Devices, Gillette, Teradyne (one of the leading manufacturers of semiconductors), and Ratheon (fifth largest defense contractor in the world).

Boston also receives more funding than any city from the National Institutes of Health. Hospitals like Dana Farber, Beth Israel, Mass General, and Brigham and Women's don't just keep our citizens healthy. They're also very involved in medical research for cancer, heart disease, etc.

Last but not least, there's a couple of schools by the name of Harvard and MIT which are located right across the river. Those two colleges educate the best and brightest from across the country and planet. Here's a list of some of Harvard's notable alumni: Harvard University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of the people who went but never finished:
List of Harvard University non-graduate alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Notable graduates of MIT:
List of Massachusetts Institute of Technology alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So as you can see, Boston's institutions are educating leaders of government and business from the past, present and future.

With all of that said, I don't think Boston is the third most important city in the country. I just wanted to show Boston is very important for more reasons than just starting the Revolution.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Is it a stretch to include Cambridge with Boston?
I wouldn't say so. This picture was taken from Cambridge:
https://wfs.bc.edu/bowesst/ab/wiki/skyline/panorama4.jpg (broken link)

They're literally right next to each other.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post

Houston has energy, ports, medicine, Aerospace, and nanotechnology.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:06 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
NYC is obviously #1. Chicago is #2 and LA is #3. #4 in my opinion would be Washington DC, then SF, then Houston, then Boston.

GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008
GaWC - The World According to GaWC 2008
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [scroll down for criteria of rankings]

Old 09-06-2009, 07:40 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,830,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
All would probably agree that New York and LA are number one and two US cities but who is number three? Is it DC for its political imapct on the planet, Chicago or Houston for their business might, SF for culture or Boston for education?

Please vote and then support your opinion with comments and verifiable data.

Thanks,
I am going to say Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City