Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:11 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
I agree, Lakal/DNCR/SittingDuck/yoyobubba, we should talk about the present!

Let's forget Chicago's massive decline during the past half-century, and let's look at the shell of the city as it exists today:

1. Murder capital of America
2. Voted most miserable city in America
3. Most polluted city in America
4. Highest commercial office vacancy in America
5. Highest population loss in America
6. Most corrupt city in America

So the question is, how do we save this once proud city? How do we turn things around?

Anyone have any answers?

It seems that the current solution is to turn the city into a giant Schaumburg, by building strip malls, parking lots, parking garages, and townhouse condos everywhere.

Basically, in order to revitalize, Chicago is attempting to turn itself into a giant suburb. Will it work? Time will tell!
Idk as I said in the other post, 55% of Chicago's DT workers travel by transit...ranks 2nd in the US. That's not so suburban to me. Walking thru the streets of the Loop, I am in a jungle ofgiant office buildings...the feeling is only eclipsed in Manhattan. You want to talk about suburban? Theres L.A. for that.

Oh yeah, you still fail to realize that Chicago is the exception in the "Rust Belt" because unlike Detroit and St. Louis, Chicago dominates world markets, especially commodity tradings...as you fail to realize the importance of ...again.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Idk as I said in the other post, 55% of Chicago's DT workers travel by transit...ranks 2nd in the US. That's not so suburban to me. Walking thru the streets of the Loop, I am in a jungle ofgiant office buildings...the feeling is only eclipsed in Manhattan. You want to talk about suburban? Theres L.A. for that.

Oh yeah, you still fail to realize that Chicago is the exception in the "Rust Belt" because unlike Detroit and St. Louis, Chicago dominates world markets, especially commodity tradings...as you fail to realize the importance of ...again.
Where is that data... I was under the impression not even nyc was that high?
Maybe just office workers in the loop or something, Metra is certainly expansive. I'm pretty sure NYC is #1 (52%), DC #2 (37%), SF and Boston tied at #3 (32%), Philly and Chicago tied at #4 (27%).

Chicago is definitely exception in the rust belt.

LA is also not suburban, yeah the core sucks from what it could be, but not suburban...why so many people think that I don't know.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:18 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Quote:
Idk as I said in the other post, 55% of Chicago's DT workers travel by transit...ranks 2nd in the US.
Not true, ranks only 11th in U.S. in proportion of downtown transit share.

But the problem is that most jobs are in the suburbs so people are driving to Schaumburg to work.

And people use their cars almost exclusively to get around outside of work.
Quote:
You want to talk about suburban? Theres L.A. for that.
To me, suburban is parking lots, parking garages and strip malls, which is classic Chicago.
Quote:
You are right that Chicago dominates the Rust Belt.

Not sure about the blather about "World Market". Is that a grocery chain? Maybe a Rustbelt Depression version of Whole Foods?

There is no question Chicago is better than Cleveland and Detroit, but Chicago's advantages are in grave danger, as it continues to empty out and suburbanize.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:19 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
I agree, Lakal/DNCR/SittingDuck/yoyobubba, we should talk about the present!

Let's forget Chicago's massive decline during the past half-century, and let's look at the shell of the city as it exists today:

1. Murder capital of America
2. Voted most miserable city in America
3. Most polluted city in America
4. Highest commercial office vacancy in America
5. Highest population loss in America
6. Most corrupt city in America

So the question is, how do we save this once proud city? How do we turn things around?

Anyone have any answers?

It seems that the current solution is to turn the city into a giant Schaumburg, by building strip malls, parking lots, parking garages, and townhouse condos everywhere.

Basically, in order to revitalize, Chicago is attempting to turn itself into a giant suburb. Will it work? Time will tell!
You are getting to be pretty repetitive. Maybe you need to find a hobby, or a meaningful job, or something. I can't imagine taking so much time to bash a city - I still love Chicago - you haven't convinced me. Your "facts" are not accurate, either, by the way. On and on you go - where you will stop, nobody knows.

I have posted links that you chose to ignore. What you do, is wait for someone else to post something off the subject at hand, and then you respond to that. Chicago was not voted "Most Miserable City", and NYC was in the top few last year. Many of your "facts" are skewed to favor your opinion. Don't present things as "fact" unless they are. I believe you must be "miserable." I'm sorry for that - I can't imagine that bashing Chicago is really that fulfilling. If it is - more power to you.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Where is that data... I was under the impression not even nyc was that high?
Maybe just office workers in the loop or something, Metra is certainly expansive. I'm pretty sure NYC is #1 (52%), DC #2 (37%), SF and Boston tied at #3 (32%), Philly and Chicago tied at #4 (27%).

Chicago is definitely exception in the rust belt.

LA is also not suburban, yeah the core sucks from what it could be, but not suburban...why so many people think that I don't know.
Here's the source http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

Los Angeles IS suburban. It was built ENTIRELY on the idea of a house and a backyard. That's suburban...period. How about LA's reliance on automobiles? 13 million registered automobiles? More freeways than any city in the world? Yet STILL manages to reach the top of the nation's worst traffic cities? Please...Los Angeles cannot get any more suburban.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Not true, ranks only 11th in U.S. in proportion of downtown transit share.

But the problem is that most jobs are in the suburbs so people are driving to Schaumburg to work.

And people use their cars almost exclusively to get around outside of work.

To me, suburban is parking lots, parking garages and strip malls, which is classic Chicago.

You are right that Chicago dominates the Rust Belt.

Not sure about the blather about "World Market". Is that a grocery chain? Maybe a Rustbelt Depression version of Whole Foods?

There is no question Chicago is better than Cleveland and Detroit, but Chicago's advantages are in grave danger, as it continues to empty out and suburbanize.
Any comments on Chicago being the busiest trader of raw products? How about its dominance in derivatives markets? You can't ignore them.

Speaking of suburbia..."strip malls, parking garages"...that description is PERFECT for Los Angeles.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM

398 posts, read 1,039,964 times
Quote:
Please...Los Angeles cannot get any more suburban.
Wow, if LA, with twice Chicago's density, is suburban, then Chicago must be downright rural!

And imagine decades from now, once Chicago has emptied out?

The problem is that it won't be much of a ghost town. Who wants to visit strip malls and parking garages?

Oh yeah did I mention that there's 13 million registered automobiles in LA county? Boy, and all those highways? A sh***y skyline too? So many damn freeways, yet it still is the nations #1 worst traffic? I heard they're planning on building double-decker highways! Wow...go suburbs!

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Here's the source http://www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf

Los Angeles IS suburban. It was built ENTIRELY on the idea of a house and a backyard. That's suburban...period. How about LA's reliance on automobiles? 13 million registered automobiles? More freeways than any city in the world? Yet STILL manages to reach the top of the nation's worst traffic cities? Please...Los Angeles cannot get any more suburban.
Not according to census. Who is right, you or them?
LA urban pop is 11,789,487
Chicago is 8,711,000

:I

Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Chicago...it is a "stand alone" city; dominating a large geographic area. Plus it has the Commodities Exchange and a large manufacturing base, with a dominant role in railroad freight and airline traffic.

Like New York City is our nation's primate city. Chicago is the primate city of the Midwestern United States.

And Atlanta is the primate city of the American South.

And Dallas is the primate city of Texas/Southwestern U.S.

And Los Angeles is the primate city of the Western U.S.

And Miami is the primate city of Central+South Florida/Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City