Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

I think the LA metro is denser ^... Chicago definitely gets more intense in its core though.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think the LA metro is denser ^... Chicago definitely gets more intense in its core though.

I believe that the L.A. metro is actually the most dense in the U.S (I may be wrong).

The CSA's of most regions, however are pretty much a wash.

However, most of Osito's arguments seem to posit that the city of L.A itself is denser than the city of Chicago

Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Quote:
Where would you find that number? As far as the Chicago - it's population density is 12,561. Los Angeles has a population density of 8,174. I don't know where to find the metro density.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:44 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
bwahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Now I know you're joking. More heavily used?? In what galaxy??

Only in bus systems, and that, just barely.

List of United States rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States commuter rail systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of United States local bus agencies by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And where is your information for this supposed L.A. density? Once again, you fail to provide statistics.
Well obviously the mass-transit claim was ridiculous. Chicago is probably the #2 mass-transit city in the country...

However there is truth to his density claim. At least there is in regards to metro/urban areas.

Chicago Urban Area: 8,711,000 in 2,122.8 sq miles (4,103.5 ppl/sq mi)

Los Angeles Urban Area: 11,789,487 in 1,667.9 sq miles (7,068.5 ppl/sq mi)

If we're talking about city-proper, there's no question about which city is denser.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:49 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well obviously the mass-transit claim was ridiculous. Chicago is probably the #2 mass-transit city in the country...

However there is truth to his density claim. At least there is in regards to metro/urban areas.

Chicago Urban Area: 8,711,000 in 2,122.8 sq miles (4,103.5 ppl/sq mi)

Los Angeles Urban Area: 11,789,487 in 1,667.9 sq miles (7,068.5 ppl/sq mi)

If we're talking about city-proper, there's no question about which city is denser.

Yeah, I realized the metro area/urban area density claim as true (see above); but New York's urban area is also significantly less dense than L.A (in fact it's closer to Chicago's than it is to L.A's). Is New York's density now laughable compared to L.A's?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:08 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
Yeah, I realized the metro area/urban area density claim as true (see above); but New York's urban area is also significantly less dense than L.A (in fact it's closer to Chicago's than it is to L.A's). Is New York's density now laughable compared to L.A's?
Ha, I don't think anyone will be claiming New York's density is pathetic compared to Los Angeles. I don't think anyone should be claiming Chicago's is pathetic either, because it obviously isn't. For some reason Osito is hung up on bashing Chicago for absolutely no reason.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:18 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
No, you are wrong

Houston, San fran, Boston and Philly all have gdp's that are higher than miami, Atl and Dallas

Not to mention,

Houston = medical and energy

Boston = education and medical

San Fran = finance and high tech

philly = (help me out Philly folks )

All 4 are the nations leaders in these repected and extremely important categories

This makes them more important also
See my previous post about primate cities.

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look at the link above:

NYC is an Alpha World City++
Chicago is an Alpha World City-
Los Angeles, Washington-DC, and Atlanta are Beta World Cities+

*These are the highest ranked U.S. cities (and rightfully so).

*At the next level, Beta World City, you find Dallas, Miami, and Boston.

So, to reiterate:

The top and/or most important/significant/influential cities in the U.S. (in order of importance)...

1. New York
2. Los Angeles
3. Chicago
4. Washington, D.C.
5. Atlanta
6. Dallas
7. Miami
(Miami and Dallas are interchangeable as #6 and #7).

8 and beyond...y'all choose!

Old 09-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Dallas Miami and Atlanta, while important, do not have the WORLD WIDE importance and influence that the 4 we have all been saying have. They are regional centers in America at most

Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
I'm "to" funny?

And you're a product of Chicago Public Schools, I presume?

They are consistently ranked worst in the nation, and you are proof-positive!

Yes, LA is obviously much more dense!

Agreed, totally agreed!

The massive Chicago roads, and the rickety, very lightly-used transit really contribute to Chicago's suburban feel.

In contrast, LA has a much more modern and heavily used bus and rail network.

Yes, the empty, rusting, falling-down L; so bad they close the Brown and Blue lines all the time! (BTW, "Mr. Chicago", it's L, not El, but you knew that, right? )

And yes, the "super rich", (on welfare I presume?) in the South and West Side ghettos!

I guess the "super rich" enjoy living in bullet-riddled housing projects, in some of the poorest census tracts in the nation? Tres chic!

Of course, no American city has more bombed-out ghettos, since no other city has lost more population!
Wow, you proved with this statement that you've NEVER been to Chicago!

"Massive" Chicago roads? Most Chicago streets are one lane in both directions! That's why the traffic is awful!

Very lightly used rail network? Give me a break! You fail to pull up statistics or respond to them when you are proven wrong.

And thanks for correcting me on my spelling. I am human and make mistakes often.

Now it's your turn to admit your mistakes with all the BS you've been spewing this whole time.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
For anybody interested

http://www.census.gov/popest/cities/tables/SUB-EST2008-01.xls (broken link)

There is a lot of arguing going on ...the answer is usually somewhere in the middle.
Even better...shows the true size of cities:

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City