Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Battle of "number three" US cities: Chicago, SF, DC, Houston or Boston?
Chicago 79 51.97%
SF 18 11.84%
Houston 18 11.84%
Boston 12 7.89%
DC 25 16.45%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 05:30 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
Wow, if LA, with twice Chicago's density, is suburban, then Chicago must be downright rural!

And imagine decades from now, once Chicago has emptied out?

The problem is that it won't be much of a ghost town. Who wants to visit strip malls and parking garages?
Strip malls and parking garages? You mean L.A. right? Of course LA is suburban...the entire metro FEELS suburban! EVEN DOWNTOWN! LA loves its suburban image so much that it has create "dense suburbs" to manage the geographic limits! How stupid is that?

Chicago is a much denser city...and has urban feel to it. Suburban Chicago is suburban Chicago. Suburban LA is suburban LA, but so is the city and so is the downtown too. The suburban feel is present everywhere in LA. It exports that image doesnt it? The palm trees...the big houses...the phat cars....ring a bell? Hollywood has done that job decades ago

Old 09-08-2009, 05:31 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Your #'s 5, 6 and 7 all belong below San Fran, Houston, Boston and Philly

Much better list is

1) NY
1A) LA
3) Chicago
4) Wash DC
5) Houston
5A) Boston
5B) San Fran
5C) Philly
9) Atlanta
9A) Dallas
No.

1. NY...primate city of the northeast U.S./entire U.S.
2. LA...primate city of the western U.S.
3. Chicago...primate city of the midwestern U.S.
4. Wash DC...nation's capital
5. Atlanta...primate city of the southern U.S.
6. Dallas...primate city of Texas/southwestern U.S.
7. Miami...primate city of Central+South Florida/Caribbean.

Houston, San Fran, Bos, and Philly are excellent niche cities, cultural even...but they are not hubs. And being the hub of mega-region, my friend, is what really counts/matters.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 PM

Table of United States primary census statistical areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-08-2009, 05:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No.

Houston, San Fran, Bos, and Philly are excellent niche cities, cultural even...but they are not hubs. And being the hub of mega-region, my friend, is what really counts/matters.
Dallas is not the hub of southwester US,,,,,,

Old 09-08-2009, 05:45 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
No.

Central+South Florida/Caribbean is not a 'MEGAREGION' by any stretch of the imagination compared to say the entire WESTERN US, or the entire MIDWESTERN US, or the entire NORTHEASTERN US.

Also, Dallas is not the 'primate' city of Arizona and New Mexico. Arizona is definitely LA's if we're divying up the country.

Furthermore,
New England(Boston), The Rocky Mountains(Denver) and Pacific Northwest(Seattle) are all widely accepted regions far more so than Central+South Florida/Carribean.

Also,
One might argue that a Gulf States region is also incredibly important and Houston would be their 'primate' city-not Dallas or Atlanta or Miami.

And don't even get me started on LA and the West. I agree LA is the most important city in the west, but primacy is something different.

All this talk of primates has me thinking about monkeys and gorrillas for heavenssake. LOL

116 posts, read 245,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
I agree, Lakal/DNCR/SittingDuck/yoyobubba, we should talk about the present!

Let's forget Chicago's massive decline during the past half-century, and let's look at the shell of the city as it exists today:

1. Murder capital of America
2. Voted most miserable city in America
3. Most polluted city in America
4. Highest commercial office vacancy in America
5. Highest population loss in America
6. Most corrupt city in America

So the question is, how do we save this once proud city? How do we turn things around?

Anyone have any answers?

It seems that the current solution is to turn the city into a giant Schaumburg, by building strip malls, parking lots, parking garages, and townhouse condos everywhere.

Basically, in order to revitalize, Chicago is attempting to turn itself into a giant suburb. Will it work? Time will tell!
I asked for numbers to prove it but all you give me is this? Another rant about Chicago? Where are these official 2009 population numbers you claimed to have?

Other stuff is just plain and simply not true. Where do you get this stuff. You are on some other planet not named reality.

Murder capital of America?
Wrong.
Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, Detroit, Memphis, Baltimore, Milwaukee, DC, Cleveland, Atlanta, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Newark are all worse.
Crime Rates for Selected Large Cities, 2005 — Infoplease.com

Most polluted city in America?
Wrong. That belongs to Los Angeles.
America's Most Polluted Cities - Forbes.com

Highest commercial office vacancy rate?
Wrong. Not even close.
1.U.S. Commercial Real Estate Vacancies Increase at Midyear
2. U.S. Office Vacancy Rate Rises to 13.7% at Midyear

Highest population loss in America?
Wrong. Nope.
Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank — Infoplease.com

Chicago half the size of LA?
Wrong. It is 74% the size of LA.
Top 50 Cities in the U.S. by Population and Rank — Infoplease.com

LA much more dense than Chicago?
Wrong. Chicago is 51% more dense than LA.
City of Chicago: 2,836,658 / 227 = 12,497 people per square mile
City of Los Angeles: 3,834,340 / 469 = 8,175 people per square mile
Chicago | Emporis.com
Los Angeles | Emporis.com

Chicago filled with lots of parking lots, strip malls, and parking garages above every building?
Wrong. Have you ever even been there?
The Windy City: Photos That'll Blow You Away - SkyscraperCity

Are you ever right? Or the better question would be why do you keep lying to people? What's this game about? What's with this obsession? I thought this would be entertaining but it's impossible to discuss something with someone who is obsessed and moves the goalposts and is willing to outright lie to people. All over what? Why do you care about Chicago so much? I'll let others deal with you and your strange obsession with Chicago. It's old. I'll watch. Remember though we are all the same poster! It's all a big conspiracy. Your tinfoil hat is crooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Dallas is not the hub of southwester US,,,,,,
Yes it is.

The Southwestern U.S. falls under the influence of two hubs...Dallas (Texas+SW) and Los Angeles (W).

Phoenix is a mini-regional hub...a la Minneapolis and the Upper Midwest. But Chicago is the dominant hub for all of the Midwest.

765 posts, read 1,860,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not according to census. Who is right, you or them?
LA urban pop is 11,789,487
Chicago is 8,711,000

:I
Lets see...a city that looks like a suburb and its suburbs that look like suburbs is all of a sudden an "urban feel"?

Chicago has that urban feel in the city limits and especially its downtown core, LA has that urban feel...nowhere really. Everything in LA is suburban in nature. Just cuz LA decides to cram the houses and make smaller backyards make it more urban?

Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
No.

I'm not so sure about that... so I'll go with what I know... (I think you are off on Boston too though)
Bay area is the hub of tech industry is a hub of venture capital industry, it's actually #1 on the planet for both, no regional, or u.s. about it...
SF is also financial hub of the entire western united states. bank of america(now in CLT) Charles Schwabb, Wells Fargo, Barclays, VISA, Franklin Templeteon...

I am not sure about Boston but many might consider it global educational hub.

^True Chicago definitely has more density in down town area, definitely more gritty.
Does DC not feel urban to you?
I know what you are getting at, LA is just a different kind of city. I think you should probably explore it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Lets see...a city that looks like a suburb and its suburbs that look like suburbs is all of a sudden an "urban feel"?

Chicago has that urban feel in the city limits and especially its downtown core, LA has that urban feel...nowhere really. Everything in LA is suburban in nature. Just cuz LA decides to cram the houses and make smaller backyards make it more urban?
Chicago definitely has amazing architecture and density but I still don't see why you are hating on l.a. so much. Chicago has plenty of single family detached homes within city limits. There are laid out strip malls very close to city center... i.e. north clybourn/roosevelt road/clark street.
There is a TJ Maxx on State street prime spot, and a Bennigans across from the Art Institute...
Anyway, I think you should check out LA more, you might like it.
It's easy to stereotype.

Last edited by grapico; 09-08-2009 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-08-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Central+South Florida/Caribbean is not a 'MEGAREGION' by any stretch of the imagination compared to say the entire WESTERN US, or the entire MIDWESTERN US, or the entire NORTHEASTERN US.

Also, Dallas is not the 'primate' city of Arizona and New Mexico. Arizona is definitely LA's if we're divying up the country.

Furthermore,
New England(Boston), The Rocky Mountains(Denver) and Pacific Northwest(Seattle) are all widely accepted regions far more so than Central+South Florida/Carribean.

Also,
One might argue that a Gulf States region is also incredibly important and Houston would be their 'primate' city-not Dallas or Atlanta or Miami.

And don't even get me started on LA and the West. I agree LA is the most important city in the west, but primacy is something different.

All this talk of primates has me thinking about monkeys and gorrillas for heavenssake. LOL
See my previous post about the Southwest (two hubs...Dallas and/or LA...and Arizona would be more under LA...NM more under Dallas).

And face it...I'm right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City