Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:40 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,945,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatusdiavoli View Post
Absurd claims? We are talking here about Illinois/Chicago forums....

By the way, the claims that are absurd to you may make perfect sesne to someone else. Your post is offensive and grossly off-topic.
Trying to get this thread back on track. My advice is to apply for positions in both cities, go out for interviews and see what happens (perhaps she's already doing this.) Since they'll be flying her out, there's nothing to lose by checking it out. At least in private practice, there's a huge standard deviation in terms of practice situations, and for me at least, the particulars of the job opportunity trump most geographic considerations (within reason of course.) Obviously, your career opportunities will have to be taken into consideration as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 04:40 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
good post

Old 05-25-2009, 04:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Not all of the Chicago trollers are dementor, but advoctus is. The rhetoric is the same, the writing style is the same, the tactic is the same, the vocabulary is the same, the criticisms are the same (right down to his esoteric criticism of Northwestern University's journalism school based on the exact same and completely irrelevant premise -- what are the odds that both have exactly the same criticism of a journalism school on the exact same premise that nobody else cares about?), the background is the same (New Yorker who moved to Chicago for career reasons and can't find one single redeeming quality about it), et cetera. And advocatus' account suddenly springs back to life after 4 months of dormancy within 10 minutes after the last date and time of activity on his "dementor" screen name -- my guess is because he logged into that account and found it's currently under restriction. If it walks, talks, sounds, acts, belches and farts like a duck, it's a duck.

"If more people told the good with the bad" is exactly the issue. Read through dementor's/advocatus' posts and see if he has one remotely positive thing to say about Chicago. The place isn't all strawberries and cream, but as huge and diverse a place it is, how plausible is it that an urbanophile supposedly from NYC can't find one single remotely complimentary thing to say about it? That's the kind of crap most of us are responding to here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
good post
and the crazy thing is people actullay believe what he says. thats why we argue like this. I can name u many of chicagos faults but dem/advo/wateva the hell his name is, has already pinpointed the negatives.

Last edited by mas23; 05-25-2009 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
and the crazy thing is people actullay believe what he says. thats why we argue like this. I can name u many of chicagos faults but dem/advo/wateva the hell his name is, has already pinpointer the negatives.
I actually think dementor/advocatus is a poor advocate for his point of view. The things he says are so crazy, that his credibility is pretty low.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:02 PM

467 posts, read 873,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"If more people told the good with the bad" is exactly the issue. Read through dementor's/advocatus' posts and see if he has one remotely positive thing to say about Chicago. The place isn't all strawberries and cream, but as huge and diverse a place it is, how plausible is it that an urbanophile supposedly from NYC can't find one single remotely complimentary thing to say about it? That's the kind of crap most of us are responding to here.

I am not going to try to prove that I am not an alien from some distant planet or alter-ego of another poster. There is no way to do it.
I will only respond to the comment that "urbanophile supposedly from NYC can't find one single remotely complimentary thing to say about [Chicago] "

In my opinion driving Merc 500S for a few years you may not necessarily feel the need to complement the ride in a Yugo or start saying that Yugo is pretty much the same as S500 because it also has four wheels or even better because it uses less gas... That would be absurd, hence my lack of compliments for Chicago.
At first Chicago may come across as decent, nice city but in a while, especially when you venture outside of the Loop and downtown, you simply start seeing all the shortcomings and they start shaping or change your perception of the city. Toothless lady smiles...

Unlike most Chicagoans I am not really great on denial so if I hear any claims of greatness yet see that the city is unable to fix its roads or control its crime and it is constantly losing population, I am simply going to deny any of them. You can't be beautiful and have rotten teeth. There are many things that are very very wrong in Chicago and until Chicago fixes them I will continue to consider the city substandard and ugly.

Last edited by advocatusdiavoli; 05-25-2009 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 05:17 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,759 times
Both cities are amazing!

San Diego would win for the weather and location, Chicago would win for the amount of things to do and culture, but San Diego definitely wins on the beaches!

Old 05-25-2009, 05:46 PM

467 posts, read 873,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Both cities are amazing!

San Diego would win for the weather and location, Chicago would win for the amount of things to do and culture, but San Diego definitely wins on the beaches!
Yeah. Especially in the Winter i.e. from November to April you can find so many things to do in Chicago...
Chicago is a very seasonal city, in the winter (there is almost no Fall or Spring here in Chicagoland) it simply dies and becomes gruesome. San Diego on the other hand is an all-year-round city. The amount of "things to do" (what kind of criteria is this???) is very subjective and may very well put San Diego at the top of the list again.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah. Especially in the Winter i.e. from November to April you can find so many things to do in Chicago...
Chicago is a very seasonal city, in the winter (there is almost no Fall or Spring here in Chicagoland) it simply dies and becomes gruesome. San Diego on the other hand is an all-year-round city. The amount of "things to do" (what kind of criteria is this???) is very subjective and may very well put San Diego at the top of the list again.
ha, ha, AD you're hilarious, that's a good one. You're right, everyone in Chicago goes into hibernation in the winter time and all human activity ceases until May. Its too bad we don't have buildings or HVAC to allow us to continue to have "things to do" in the winter.

See what I mean about his credibility?

Old 05-25-2009, 06:38 PM

40 posts, read 54,873 times
Maybe San Diego is for you.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
I am not going to try to prove that I am not an alien from some distant planet or alter-ego of another poster. There is no way to do it.
No point in trying since you're one in the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Chicago is very downtown-centric city. Once you leave downtown, Loop, Rush and Oak there is not much to really look at and all those cookie-cutter condos erected in the past ten years do not help a lot, other than they replaced even uglier bungalows..
Quote:
Most of Chicago is covered with ugly bungalows and the new condos are not anything I would call architecture. . . . I am talking about Chicago outside of the Loop.
Quote:
At first Chicago may come across as decent, nice city but in a while, especially when you venture outside of the Loop and downtown, you simply start seeing all the shortcomings and they start shaping or change your perception of the city.
Quote:
You do realize that you post is offensive and violates sevarl points of the TOS?
Quote:
Your post is offensive and grossly off-topic.
Quote:
Northwestern journalism? I heard so much about yet it is hard to believe you can have a good journalism schools withouth having any sersious journalism in the area.
Quote:
[Re: NW's journalism school] Strange, supposedly great journalism school and a lack of nationally/internationally significant media outlets.
Quote:
Typical Midwestern idiosyncrasy.
Quote:
In a typical Midwestern manner...
Quote:
Why is Chicago media so parochial?
Quote:
That's the problem. Chicago is very isolationist. Very parochial.
Like I said. Same tactics, same rhetoric, same complaints, same writing style, same vocabulary, same everything. Just admit you're using multiple accounts in violation of the TOS because everyone else knows it already.

Last edited by Drover; 05-25-2009 at 07:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City