Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA vs Chicago
LA 161 42.59%
Chicago 217 57.41%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 04:10 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,790 times

Advertisements

yo stop accusing me of being dementor, its getting old and scary now

Old 05-18-2009, 04:14 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Okay, great post! Yes, the NYSE is the largest and most powerful stock exchange in the world. However, we're talking about two different things here. The issue I was addressing is number one city for trading. A city that has the largest or most-capitalized stock exchange is not necessarily the best or biggest city, overall, for trading. .
You came up with a creative way to boast Chicago as a "number one city for trading" which does not have any reflection in reality or hard data to support this claim. It is merely an opinion. Again, CME is traded on NYSE not vice versa.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:16 PM

633 posts, read 1,443,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I agree, it's nice to have an intelligent conversation where people raising facts and good points aren't responded with "ROFL COPTER CHICAGO SUCKS" or "BLARGHHHH IF BOSTON FELL INTO THE ATLANTIC NOBODY WOULD CARE!11!!!!1!"

Thanks for the best wishes on the CFA, I haven't been studying enough, but luckily since I was a financial management major, much of what I've been reading is review (I'm currently on Level I).

I agree that people often underestimate Chicago's power and importance...especially on this board. I was in NYC this past weekend meeting up with a college buddy, and when talking to some of the people there I thought about this forum and decided to get some opinions from some people who was at the party. The ages ranged from 21-24, but basically all of the opinions were pretty positive. People weren't fawning over the city (I don't think New Yorkers fawn over many other cities; though I did find two chicks who loved Boston...followed by 10 dudes who hated it for sports reasons) but basically everyone said they liked Chicago. I think most of the negativity we hear about Chi-town comes from insecure people on this board.
It's interesting to see how residents of different cities feel about other places. I met a couple from Canada on the Metra two weeks ago, and they could NOT stop gushing about Chicago. They described Toronto as a "farm town" in comparison. That is crazy to me, because I view Toronto as a huge, bustling metropolis (although I admittedly haven't been there).

I have also noticed that people in Milwaukee treat you like a celebrity when you tell them you're from Chicago. Same goes for Indy. And my fraternity brother in Philly told me a while back about all his friends and how they couldn't wait to visit the Windy City, which they all seemed to really love.

On the other hand, I met some stewardesses in Milwaukee last year. They kept going on about Dallas (where they were from), and how Dallas had a better skyline than Chicago, etc. Haha!

Chicagoans, as a rule, despise New York and don't care about LA (maybe a little light disdain). I think we hate New York so much, because we believe we have everything that NYC has to offer, yet we get about half as much attention. This is starting to change in the last five years or so, but still, the feeling lingers. Now, I have been to NY, and I even bought a stereotypically tourist I <3 NY t-shirt for the kitsch value. I love the city. I think it's amazing, and it's energy is certainly addicting. I also found it to be dirty and honestly very sad. The state of the homeless people I saw was far, far beyond the hustlers we have here.

Overall, Chicago is the best city. It's right in the middle of everything. We're ahead of the game culturally vs. the coasts (I know--hard to believe... cue the skeptics), and our cityscape is unparalleled. There is no other place I would rather live.

ESPECIALLY LOS ANGELES.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
yo stop accusing me of being dementor, its getting old and scary now
KONY/Dementor, black people don't really start their sentences with "yo." And they don't type using phrases like "real talk" before they make a statement. Also, they don't describe in articulate detail the type of accent African-Americans have in a particular region, and then say, "I should know I have one."

When you do these things, it really makes us realize what a phony you are. Not to mention, it makes you seem very racist. Just thought you should know that.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
you came up with a creative way to boast chicago as a "number one city ofr trading" wich does not have reflection in reality or hard data. It is merely an opinion. Again, cme is traded on nyse not vice versa.
that's because the nyse is not a commodity, smart stuff.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
It's interesting to see how residents of different cities feel about other places. I met a couple from Canada on the Metra two weeks ago, and they could NOT stop gushing about Chicago. They described Toronto as a "farm town" in comparison. That is crazy to me, because I view Toronto as a huge, bustling metropolis (although I admittedly haven't been there).

If you haven't been there why do you have to have an opinion about Toronto?

Quote:
I have also noticed that people in Milwaukee treat you like a celebrity when you tell them you're from Chicago. Same goes for Indy. And my fraternity brother in Philly told me a while back about all his friends and how they couldn't wait to visit the Windy City, which they all seemed to really love.

Also people from Iowa, Kentuckya and Indiana. What is your point?
Is this an indication of anything? Also, according to your profile you do not live in Chicago, either... Do you realize that?

Quote:
Chicagoans, as a rule, despise New York and don't care about LA (maybe a little light disdain). I think we hate New York so much, because we believe we have everything that NYC has to offer, yet we get about half as much attention. This is starting to change in the last five years or so, but still, the feeling lingers.
That's the problem. You believe that you have the same that New Yorks offers and are surprised that people laugh at you You don't. As long as you keep on making those claims people will keep on laughing and you will continue to feel more inferrior as a result. You fuel your own inferiority complex.... Stop that. There is no other city in the US and arguably in the world that offers the same as New York. Ask people who have been around.

Quote:
Now, I have been to NY, and I even bought a stereotypically tourist I <3 NY t-shirt for the kitsch value. I love the city. I think it's amazing, and it's energy is certainly addicting. I also found it to be dirty and honestly very sad. The state of the homeless people I saw was far, far beyond the hustlers we have here.
"addicting energy" and "very sad"? That's contradictory. I found trailer parks in Chicago vicinity to be much sadder as occupied not by mental patients (most homeless) but struggling people...

Quote:
Overall, Chicago is the best city. It's right in the middle of everything. We're ahead of the game culturally vs. the coasts (I know--hard to believe... cue the skeptics), and our cityscape is unparalleled. There is no other place I would rather live.
You see, that's why people laugh when Chicagoans open their mouth.
You make claims of cultural superiority to the coasts w/o providing any evidence. You say Chicago is in the middle of everything when for most people Chicago is in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing interesting within three hours drive from Chicago.
It's quite typical in Chicago, everywhere else it is called denial.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
that's because the nyse is not a commodity, smart stuff.
What? I am simply showing you who is who here.

CME is traded and depends on NYSE not vice versa.

I am not sure wheich city leads right now, it changes all the time.
But the too most relevant trading cities in the world are London and New York followed by Tokyo.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
If you haven't been there why do you have to have an opinion about Toronto?

Also people from Iowa, Kentuckya and Indiana. What is your point?
Is this an indication of anything? Also, according to your profile you do not live in Chicago, either... Do you realize that?

That's the problem. You believe that you have the same that New Yorks offers and are surprised that people laugh at you You don't. As long as you keep on making those claims people will keep on laughing and you will continue to feel more inferrior as a result. You fuel your own inferiority complex.... Stop that. There is no other city in the US and arguably in the world that offers the same as New York. Ask people who have been around.

"addicting energy" and "very sad"? That's contradictory. I found trailer parks in Chicago vicinity to be much sadder as occupied not by mental patients (most homeless) but struggling people...

You see, that's why people laugh when Chicagoans open their mouth.
You make claims of cultural superiority to the coasts w/o providing any evidence. You say Chicago is in the middle of everything when for most people Chicago is in the middle of nowhere, there is nothing interesting within three hours drive from Chicago.
It's quite typical in Chicago, everywhere else it is called denial.
Dementor, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. No where in your rambling, incoherent reponse where you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Dementor, what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. No where in your rambling, incoherent reponse where you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

You do realize that you post is offensive and violates sevarl points of the TOS?
People like you make sure that most of the world laughs at Chicago.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
What? I am simply showing you who is who here.

CME is traded and depends on NYSE not vice versa.

I am not sure wheich city leads right now, it changes all the time.
But the too most relevant trading cities in the world are London and New York followed by Tokyo.
No, it doesn't change. Chicago is the top city for trading. End of story. The emperor has no clothes, Dementor. You lose. Chicago wins.

The CME Group is a publicly-traded corporation. Do you know where publicly-traded corporations are publicly traded? On the New York Stock Exchange.

The Merc is is a financial and commodity derivative exchange. Do you know what is traded there? I'll give you a hint: it's not stock exchanges.

Therefore, the NYSE would not, and could not POSSIBLY be traded on the Chicago Merc. How is it possible that you don't know this? Don't you have even the most basic, rudimentary understanding of this country's financial system?

Saying that New York is a better trading city because the NYSE is not traded on the CME is like saying that Bentonville, Arkansas is better than New York because they sell the Wall Street Journal at Wal-Mart, but they don't sell Wal-Marts at the WSJ headquarters.

Now go study your geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City