Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:15 PM

322 posts, read 800,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
No. read through the list of megalopoli (is that the right plural?!) here and you'll get a better picture/ idea of what you're talking about. You can't just throw a couple of city names together and call it a megalopolis. Nice try though!

yea so theres no farmland in delaware, pa, or jersey right? lmaooo pleaseeeee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesNightmare View Post
hahahah your funny. SJ has over a million...Long Beach half a million, Anaheim 400,000 plus a big metro +Santa Ana etc...plus tons of 200,000 + cities

boston is a "town" then, dc is a "town" then, baltimore also a "town" with your theory ..silly guy
Cities aren't determined by the amount of people; they're determined by the state. There are cities that have less people than certain towns.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,626 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with what the guy said to you...

Old 05-29-2009, 01:47 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
please...L.A , SF,SJ,Oakland,Long Beach,Orange County,Monterey,Bakersfield megalopolis
yeah, bakersfield's a real hub you got there

Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
I'm so sorry. You're right! It doesn't exist... the 55 Million people in the megalopolis in addition to the scholars, government officials, businesses, etc that believe it exists are dead wrong and you are right based on the revelation that there IS in fact farmland in Deleware, PA, Jersey (even in MA, RI, CT, MD too)! I think you should send them a big 'ol letter telling them how dumb they are. What a stellar observation!

Of course there are some rural patches on the fringes of the megalopolis! Like I said in a previous post, it's not a solid blob of urban area from Boston to D.C... it's just interconnected metro areas and MANY metro areas of have patches of rural land. Just because there is farmland in these places does NOT mean that the line of urban areas, suburbs and exurbs are nearly unbroken from the Boston area to D.C. You may not like it, but it ceratainly doesn't make it less true.

What are you arguing anyway?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 PM

322 posts, read 800,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm so sorry. You're right! It doesn't exist... the 55 Million people in the megalopolis in addition to the scholars, government officials, businesses, etc that believe it exists are dead wrong and you are right based on the revelation that there IS in fact farmland in Deleware, PA, Jersey (even in MA, RI, CT, MD too)! I think you should send them a big 'ol letter telling them how dumb they are. What a stellar observation!

Of course there are some rural patches on the fringes of the megalopolis! Like I said in a previous post, it's not a solid blob of urban area from Boston to D.C... it's just interconnected metro areas and MANY metro areas of have patches of rural land. Just because there is farmland in these places does NOT mean that the line of urban areas, suburbs and exurbs are nearly unbroken from the Boston area to D.C. You may not like it, but it ceratainly doesn't make it less true.

What are you arguing anyway?
wasn't arguing till the nyc guy said somethin...and bakrsfield was thrown in for kicks and giggles...relax

Old 05-29-2009, 03:03 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
wasn't arguing till the nyc guy said somethin...and bakrsfield was thrown in for kicks and giggles...relax
I'm perfectly relaxed. The only one who should have any concern is the one trying to negate the conspiracy theory that is the Bos-Wash Megalopolis.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:57 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
No i mean in theory does it exist...

its nothing more than a couple cities being "close" to each other ..correct? or do they work in tandem...u tell me
Sometimes they do. One example is the Metro North Railroad which is supported together by New York and Connecticut. There is even talk of eventually extending the lines to Hartford, Connecticut and even Springfield Massachusetts. Another example is the new Sterling Forest perserve in Orange County, New York in which New Jersey provided some of the funds to buy it. New York in turn provides some of New Jersey's drinking water.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:12 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Sometimes they do. One example is the Metro North Railroad which is supported together by New York and Connecticut. There is even talk of eventually extending the lines to Hartford, Connecticut and even Springfield Massachusetts. Another example is the new Sterling Forest perserve in Orange County, New York in which New Jersey provided some of the funds to buy it. New York in turn provides some of New Jersey's drinking water.
To expand further...................... Look at the Port Authority of NY & NJ.
NJ tax payers share in the cost of the JFK & LAG Airports, the construction (and reconstruction) of the World Trade Center. NY tax payers share in the cost of NWK Airport, Port Newark, PATH train.
Both NJ & NY officials equally share board seats.
I know NJ also has a similar process in the Southern end of the state.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
To expand further...................... Look at the Port Authority of NY & NJ.
NJ tax payers share in the cost of the JFK & LAG Airports, the construction (and reconstruction) of the World Trade Center. NY tax payers share in the cost of NWK Airport, Port Newark, PATH train.
Both NJ & NY officials equally share board seats.
I know NJ also has a similar process in the Southern end of the state.
Yes, and the Port Authority is a better example then everything I said! Also NJ Transit helps runs the commuter rail operations into Rockland and Orange Counties, NY. I am not sure if you heard --- Scranton will love this --- they are moving ahead now on a rail connection to Scranton PA! This is a NJ, PA, NY thing not the Feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City