Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Denver Colorado 127 57.47%
Dallas Texas 94 42.53%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 03:33 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
Been to both and yes You're right but Dallas isn't that much further ahead of Denver in terms of nightlife and Dallas has 3 times as many people so Denver is punching way above its weight in that category. For being so much bigger then Denver, Denver feels much more urban.
The "walkable" nightlife options in Dallas may not be that far ahead, but nightlife in general I believe so IMO. I'm basing it off of the diversity of options and venues -- yuppie, hipster, alternative, LGBT, Latino/Hispanic, AA, etc. Bars, clubs, large & small concert venues, hole in the walls, VIP lounges, etc. A lot of neighborhoods are filled with their own tiny strip of bars, so I think Dallas does do pretty well offering both the larger street scenes of places like Deep Ellum and more local, smaller scenes of Henderson Ave. or Greenville Ave. for example.

Either way, all it takes is a beefed up Downtown Dallas to blow the urbanity of Denver out of the water. It is succeeding pretty well with bordering neighborhoods such as Deep Ellum, Uptown, Victory Park, and the Cedars. The success of those neighborhoods are spilling into Downtown.

Last edited by DTXman34; 06-15-2017 at 03:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yep, these people really must hate Dallas if they're comparing modern day Denver to 2009 Dallas.
The poll started in 2009. It's not a fresh, new poll with new results. That's what I meant, but again your "narrative and talking points" seems to blind your reading comprehension.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 PM

122 posts, read 129,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
The "walkable" nightlife options in Dallas may not be that far ahead, but nightlife in general I believe so IMO. I'm basing it off of the diversity of options and venues -- yuppie, hipster, alternative, LGBT, Latino/Hispanic, AA, etc. Bars, clubs, large & small concert venues, hole in the walls, VIP lounges, etc. A lot of neighborhoods are filled with their own tiny strip of bars, so I think Dallas does do pretty well offering both the larger street scenes of places like Deep Ellum and more local, smaller scenes of Henderson Ave. or Greenville Ave. for example.

Either way, all it takes is a beefed up Downtown Dallas to blow the urbanity of Denver out of the water. It is succeeding pretty well with bordering neighborhoods such as Deep Ellum, Uptown, Victory Park, and the Cedars. The success of those neighborhoods are spilling into Downtown.
'All it takes is a beefed up Dallas" well all it takes is a beefed up downtown Denver, and It woudnt even be a debate. You obviously have never heard of North Denver (highlands now) Rino, uptown Denver, And Capital hill that are pretty comparable to those neighborhoods.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:39 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,135 times
Sorry, I was gone most the day and wanted to apply on this thread through an "actual" computer and not just my phone. Going to make two posts, hope no one minds. The first, this, is going to be in response to posters quoting me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I don't disagree that Dallas is pretty impressive on many levels, some that Denver doesn't even get yet. But why limit it to simply metros when you are also bringing in Tier 1 cities in the US and abroad to this comparison as well. I'm a big Denver fan, but wouldn't consider it a peer among the list below. It simply isn't there.
What I mean't is that I didn't see why we were comparing numbers for entire states, because Colorado and Texas are so much more than just Denver and DFW, respectively, which influences the numbers, positively or negatively. Also, the only reason I brought in Tier 1 cities (although I do not consider Seattle a Tier 1 city) is because I was listing actual examples of what I heard. I wasn't trying to cherry pick specific types of cities. There are other, non Tier 1 and less Urban cities I have heard people say that about too, just nowhere near to the same extent.

My original response to bluescreen73 was not to imply that Denver is an unattractive or undesirable metro; there are things I like about Denver, but I don't think there is really much of a strong defining characteristic that really sets it apart, especially when including all metros, Tier 1 or not. I responded because I thought his methodology was "stupid."

Quote:
People don't just move to Denver because of the cost of living. In fact Denver isn't even cheap anymore and is catching up to California prices. It's not a big enough difference to make someone move from Cali to Denver.
1) I didn't argue about COL in this thread because I wasn't sure that DFW, especially now, is significantly cheaper than Denver, even though I think it would be a major advantage for DFW if it was. Many comparison websites I found do show Denver is more expensive, but many people on CD (especially from stereotypically expensive cities) have reiterated to me that COL comparisons on the internet are nonsense. There are people here who will argue that Chicago, which many sites show as being even more pricey than Denver, is nearly as affordable as DFW, which leads me to think less pricey Denver is practically the same costs as DFW. I also didn't feel like a potential dispute with someone over the validity of those sort of websites and lists.

2) I think you are underestimating how expensive the cities of coastal California are. Go to ANY website and it shows Denver's cost of living as being much closer to DFW's than Los Angeles', San Diego's, San Francisco's, or San Jose's. I just Googled "cost of living by metropolitan area" and found Denver to be significantly cheaper than all four on "bankrate," "npr," "governing," "expatistan," and "economy."

Quote:
Like I've said before, Colorado and Denver attracts a lot of people for different reasons. I've never once heard someone say they have always wanted to live in Dallas. I've numerous people say they have wanted to be in Denver. There is no debating it. If someone's main draw is just nightlife, shopping, and diversity, they will just move to LA that has way more of that then Dallas. If Dallas was expensive, there wouldn't be anyone moving there.
1) You are right, there is no debating what you have heard. I'm not going to deny your experiences or claim they are either incorrect or wrong. However, you seem to act as if my experiences, which happen to differ from yours, are in some way negotiable or incorrect.

2) As I said, if someone's main draw is just scenery, they will just move to Honolulu, San Francisco, or Seattle (or whatever else). Dallas has great nightlife, shopping, and diversity, but it isn't the best for that. Denver has great natural scenery, but it isn't the best for that. Yes, I know scenery is subjective (though, I mean, nightlife sort of is too), but if you ask anyone what is the most beautiful city in the nation, nearly no one outside of the region will say Denver (just look through the threads on this forum asking that question).

I am really wondering where you got this idea that Denver is nearly as expensive as the "more desirable" metros of California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think Denver is quite a bit pricier than Dallas. There's a world outside of Texas that you need to explore.
I generally do try to respect you, despite our numerous disagreements. Please don't make it so difficult. For your first sentence, look above, and then look below to the next quote.

For your second sentence, if you are going to misunderstand my post, try at least to not throw in an insult. I have traveled outside of Texas before, believe it or not. The fact that I specifically stated that fact in the post you quoted should have made it obvious. The vast majority of my life, I have lived in Texas, but I have also lived in Louisiana and New England (not stating the specific state for reasons, but I have named it elsewhere). My parents also own a second home in San Mateo that we visit often, for weeks or months at a time growing up. Besides that, I have spent at least several weeks in each of the following: Atlanta, Chicago (although through several visits at this point), Boston, Charlotte, Colorado Springs, Denver, Los Angeles, New Orleans (this was not the place I lived, however), Oklahoma City, and Seattle. There are other places within the US for less time, but I generally try not to pass strong judgments on places (or at least places on the scale of a city) I spent less than two or three weeks in. My international travels have been very unimpressive, mainly Canada, Japan, Korea, and very limited time in China.

Quote:
He/she wasn't comparing the prices of Denver to Dallas. The whole point was scenery. Some that really value the mountains but are unable to afford Cali or the PNW may choose Denver due to a lower COL. It has nothing to do with Dallas, which wouldn't be on anyone's list if mountain scenery was a top priority. Man your reading comprehension is poor. Oh and you conveniently try to paint Parhe as a Texas homer who hasn't been out of state lol. #epicfail.
Thank you. Also, I am a "he" for future reference :P

Old 06-16-2017, 01:34 AM

Quote:
It's not just my experiences. Go out and see for yourself. "I want to live in Dallas" said no one ever
I agreed that DFW was not a city/metro that had thousands of people saying they have always wanted to live there, but "I want to live in . . ." is not the same as "I have always wanted to live in . . ."

I think it is reasonable for you to say you've never heard a person say the second one about DFW or Dallas. I think you are extremely foolish and biased here to say you think no one has ever said the first one about DFW or Dallas. I've heard that one numerous times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Things Denver is better at
1. Lower Crime rate
2. Urbanity
3. Less Traffic
4. More efficient Transit system
5. Outdoor Recreation
6. Better School Districts
7. Less extreme weather
Just regarding school districts, it doesn't seem like Denver has better school districts than DFW. DFW proportionately has more A's and less C's than Denver from this site.
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...th-metro-area/
https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...er-metro-area/

I choose the site because it was the easiest to find metro comparisons. Zillow showed me schools for the cities of Dallas and Denver, although the spread also looked to be in Dallas' favor.

About what Orlando-Calrissian said on higher education, I am surprised to hear someone say DFW is superior in higher education to another major metro. Not to say UNT, UTA, or UTD (among others) are bad schools, but DFW isn't known for being strong in the realm of higher education (there are SMU and TCU, but they are tiny). I would expect Denver to be better in that.

Quote:
Not because they want to. Like was said earlier many people were just born into a place and have never left. People don't chase humidity. Get real
I mentioned the thing about people being born into a place, though I am not sure you are referencing me here. Like you, I don't completely agree with the idea that having more people automatically makes something more popular, but you are ignoring the part where a large portion of growth in the humid South is from migration. Some people actually really like humidity (I am not one of them, unless it is actually raining) while many others tolerate it enough to move to a place with high humidity. Very different from "most people can't stand humidity." I am starting to think you just interpret your own opinions as facts.

Regarding airports, I hear very nice things about Lovefield and I don't think DFW is so bad. Clicked on the first three links from a Google search (well, numbers 2-4, since number 1 was just a list of the busiest airports). The first one listed Lovefield with no mention of the other two. The second one listed Denver's airport among the worst, but DFW and Lovefield weren't listed anywhere for better/worst. The third one lists DFW and Denver among the best, with Denver ahead. With how much these lists don't match, I am willing to say airports are just up there with climate and cuisine for being based on the individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Denver is winning the poll despite the Texas homers. I have no dog in the fight I am from TN but Denver is a more attractive city to live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If it weren't for Willis Carrier, DFW and several other large sun belt metros would probably still be inconsequential little map dots. Just sayin'.
Sure.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:04 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post

I generally do try to respect you, despite our numerous disagreements. Please don't make it so difficult. For your first sentence, look above, and then look below to the next quote.
I'll do as I please.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
The poll started in 2009. It's not a fresh, new poll with new results. That's what I meant, but again your "narrative and talking points" seems to blind your reading comprehension.
What do you mean? I was defending you and Dallas. These Denver people bringing up old schitt. They haven't seen the new Dallas, obviously.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:15 AM

122 posts, read 129,528 times
If someone's draw is shopping and nightlife then they will just move to California. It goes both ways. Denver is just a more unique city and people want that.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
If someone's draw is shopping and nightlife then they will just move to California. It goes both ways. Denver is just a more unique city and people want that.
"It goes both ways"
Yeah, that was my point, you were the one to first use that line. You haven't shown that Denver is a more unique city. Besides being cheaper, what positively differentiates Denver from LA, San Diego, the Bay Area, Portland, Seattle, or maybe even Salt Lake City?

Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
'All it takes is a beefed up Dallas" well all it takes is a beefed up downtown Denver, and It woudnt even be a debate. You obviously have never heard of North Denver (highlands now) Rino, uptown Denver, And Capital hill that are pretty comparable to those neighborhoods.
I've heard of those neighborhoods. I don't disagree with what you said. Right now, Denver is ahead in the urbanity department. The differences were probably more noticeable in 2009 than today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City