Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer
Denver Colorado 127 57.47%
Dallas Texas 94 42.53%
Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 11:24 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
I can get all those things in Denver. Maybe not on the scale of Dallas but like I said Denver is growing and fast. I give it a few years and Denver will surpass Dallas on the nightlife and vibrancy. Denver has plenty of nightlife and great food. Dallas isn't so far ahead that it would make one choose Dallas over Denver.
Denver is currently growing slower than DFW, despite being much smaller (starting size is relevant, there is a reason lists of fastest growing cities are dominated by smaller ones), so I doubt it will catch up. It isn't like DFW is standing still this whole time, it is improving.

The only reason people move to Denver is that the cost of living is much cheaper. If I wanted scenery, I would go to pretty much any of the major West Coast cities, or Hawaii, or Miami, or even Atlanta with all its trees if greenery is the preference (I also heard the Boston area is very scenic). I've been to nearly all those cities/Hawaii (I believe all but Atlanta are notably more expensive than Denver) as well as Denver, and I don't consider Denver very beautiful in comparison. If Denver was as expensive as Seattle or Hawaii, I doubt it would be pulling in growth rates even close to DFW's.*

*I am not saying DFW would be, either. My point is that it isn't as if DFW is the only one of these two metros that are growing because of COL and also that COL is not the only reason DFW is growing. There are plenty of major cities more affordable than DFW that are growing less rapidly, many of which also have good economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post

One, TCHP (I know the post above is from DenBronco8), why go by state numbers? Metro growth numbers are just as easy to find for the US and are more useful for a thread that started out comparing two metros. Not saying this just because I think DFW shows more impressively than Denver, I don't know the rates at the moment of typing this.
I don't disagree that Dallas is pretty impressive on many levels, some that Denver doesn't even get yet. But why limit it to simply metros when you are also bringing in Tier 1 cities in the US and abroad to this comparison as well. I'm a big Denver fan, but wouldn't consider it a peer among the list below. It simply isn't there.

Quote:
I've never heard people say that about Denver. I have heard people say that about New York City, LA, San Francisco, Seattle, and many more foreign cities such as Vancouver and Tokyo, but never about Denver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not talking about the mountains; I'm talking about Denver itself. And yes, Denver has only become an "it" city relatively recently, along with the likes of Minneapolis, Austin, etc. Denver hasn't historically been a "lifestyle city" in the same vein as NYC, LA, SF, etc. that a bunch of people have been breaking their necks to get to. Let's not be obtuse here.
I think we would all agree Denver isn't a lifestyle city among the rank of NYC, LA or SF, although it is beginning to carve out a niche for its self that is quite different than all of those with a lifestyle approach that is, IMO, very unique to itself. Whether you agree or not, the regional draw of the area around Denver is a key part of the attraction to the Denver metro area. If you look at some of what drives the attraction, it is not necessarily 24 hour everything or incredible nightlife or a broad range of diverse cultures. It is reasonable job growth, reasonable COL, reasonable weather, abounding recreational activities, a very fit and mobile populace, and at least enough urban amenities, diversity, sports and nightlife within the city its self to remain interesting after hours. The Rocky Mtn region is, IMO, a key part of the Denver attraction and anyone who has moved to Denver thinking it is an urban oasis the likes of some of those cities listed above, has typically been disappointed. We do see that in the Denver forums on occasion.

Denver has been an it city at various times in its history for various reasons among various generations. Denver has always marketed itself very well. This isn't a new thing, but thanks to electronic mediums, it is very quickly and broadly called out as an it city now. I'd also guess that due to that, any hiccup in its current prosperity and we will see an out-migration as quickly as well. Denver did have negative population growth in the 80s and 90s. At its worst, Dallas has only ever had single digit growth.

I believe there are a large number of very similar aspects of both cities. I think there are more divergence between the two though and people will chose one of the other for some very different reasons.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:07 AM

122 posts, read 129,591 times
Quote:
Denver is currently growing slower than DFW, despite being much smaller (starting size is relevant, there is a reason lists of fastest growing cities are dominated by smaller ones), so I doubt it will catch up. It isn't like DFW is standing still this whole time, it is improving.

The only reason people move to Denver is that the cost of living is much cheaper. If I wanted scenery, I would go to pretty much any of the major West Coast cities, or Hawaii, or Miami, or even Atlanta with all its trees if greenery is the preference (I also heard the Boston area is very scenic). I've been to nearly all those cities/Hawaii (I believe all but Atlanta are notably more expensive than Denver) as well as Denver, and I don't consider Denver very beautiful in comparison. If Denver was as expensive as Seattle or Hawaii, I doubt it would be pulling in growth rates even close to DFW's.*

*I am not saying DFW would be, either. My point is that it isn't as if DFW is the only one of these two metros that are growing because of COL and also that COL is not the only reason DFW is growing. There are plenty of major cities more affordable than DFW that are growing less rapidly, many of which also have good economy.
People don't just move to Denver because of the cost of living. In fact Denver isn't even cheap anymore and is catching up to California prices. It's not a big enough difference to make someone move from Cali to Denver.

Like I've said before, Colorado and Denver attracts a lot of people for different reasons. I've never once heard someone say they have always wanted to live in Dallas. I've numerous people say they have wanted to be in Denver. There is no debating it. If someone's main draw is just nightlife, shopping, and diversity, they will just move to LA that has way more of that then Dallas. If Dallas was expensive, there wouldn't be anyone moving there.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:32 AM

12,827 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:

I think Denver is quite a bit pricier than Dallas. There's a world outside of Texas that you need to explore.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:05 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I think Denver is quite a bit pricier than Dallas. There's a world outside of Texas that you need to explore.
He/she wasn't comparing the prices of Denver to Dallas. The whole point was scenery. Some that really value the mountains but are unable to afford Cali or the PNW may choose Denver due to a lower COL. It has nothing to do with Dallas, which wouldn't be on anyone's list if mountain scenery was a top priority. Man your reading comprehension is poor. Oh and you conveniently try to paint Parhe as a Texas homer who hasn't been out of state lol. #epicfail.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:11 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
I think we would all agree Denver isn't a lifestyle city among the rank of NYC, LA or SF, although it is beginning to carve out a niche for its self that is quite different than all of those with a lifestyle approach that is, IMO, very unique to itself. Whether you agree or not, the regional draw of the area around Denver is a key part of the attraction to the Denver metro area. If you look at some of what drives the attraction, it is not necessarily 24 hour everything or incredible nightlife or a broad range of diverse cultures. It is reasonable job growth, reasonable COL, reasonable weather, abounding recreational activities, a very fit and mobile populace, and at least enough urban amenities, diversity, sports and nightlife within the city its self to remain interesting after hours. The Rocky Mtn region is, IMO, a key part of the Denver attraction and anyone who has moved to Denver thinking it is an urban oasis the likes of some of those cities listed above, has typically been disappointed. We do see that in the Denver forums on occasion.
Now that's reasonable.

Quote:
Like I've said before, Colorado and Denver attracts a lot of people for different reasons. I've never once heard someone say they have always wanted to live in Dallas. I've numerous people say they have wanted to be in Denver. There is no debating it.
LOLOLOL...."my anecdotal experiences are authoritative." Biased much?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:06 AM

122 posts, read 129,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Now that's reasonable.

LOLOLOL...."my anecdotal experiences are authoritative." Biased much?
It's not just my experiences. Go out and see for yourself. "I want to live in Dallas" said no one ever

Old 06-15-2017, 11:15 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
It's not just my experiences. Go out and see for yourself. "I want to live in Dallas" said no one ever
You're hilarious.

No, really...you are.

You're intimately familiar with the thoughts, desires, and statements of every single soul on the planet and can say with certainty that no one has ever said they want to live in Dallas. That's really something.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:28 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,530 times
Quote:
I can get just as much good food here honestly. Who cares about shopping, we have plenty of it in Denver. We have hot women too. Not as many since Dallas has a larger population but that's obvious. You're right people do care about that stuff..but if they really are just looking for those three things, then they would move to California. Not Dallas.

By the way, Denvers food scene is highly underrated. We have many a lot non chain restauarants here in Denver and nationally recognized chefs. The show top chef will be filming in Denver this year. We have amazing Mexican food. Just take a drive along federa or through any of the west and north neighborhoodsl and you will see taco trucks, all types of Mexican food. A quick stroll through Colfax and you will find a lot of Ethiopian food and middle eastern. We have a lot of authentic Asian food here. You can find any type of food you like. You will find a diverse selection of foods from all over the country throughout the Metro area.
I agree Denver is a better city than Dallas in almost every way but Dallas a better job market than Denver right now that is why it is growing faster. I would still pick Denver over Dallas all things being equal with the same paying job.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:45 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I agree Denver is a better city than Dallas in almost every way but Dallas a better job market than Denver right now that is why it is growing faster. I would still pick Denver over Dallas all things being equal with the same paying job.
Lol. I love the vague statements "it's better in almost every way." What do you even mean by that? Food? Nightlife? Scenery? Festivals/events? Climate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City