Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or cities most closely resembles the urban feel of NYC?
Boston 24 16.22%
Chicago 78 52.70%
Philadelphia 48 32.43%
San Francisco 53 35.81%
LA 9 6.08%
DC 10 6.76%
Other 12 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 10:06 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Again, you said you have never been to Philadelphia's chinatown so you are quoting articles you have no idea what the context even is.

The North Chinatown tower actually is a huge resemblance of how strong the Chinatown community is in Philadelphia.

It is in the northern part of Philadelphia's chinatown, and is the home to a new Chinatown community center.

It is not an expensive luxury apartment high-rise at all.

The tower was financed and paid for by the Chinatown district in Philadelphia. Not private developers looking to gentrify the neighborhood.

You do not know the Philadelphia of 2020.

Here read this article and get back to me.

Thanks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/n...mmigrants.html

Philadelphia has more Brazilians, Asians, Blacks, Indians than all of Boston. NYC immigrants are moving to Northeast Philadelphia in droves the past 5 years, because NYC is so expensive and Philadelphia is so close.

Boston is a bit too far north and removed and also too expensive.
Okay so now I have been to Philadelphias Chinatown. I ate at Bar-ly and walked around. It’s pretty obviously very gentrified or gentrifying.

Really don’t understand the idea that Boston Chinatown isn’t Chinese but Philly’s is so Chinese and impervious from gentrification: nothing about Barlys was Asian and barely anyone There was asian.

The idea I didn’t know the Philadelphia of 2020 also didn’t hold water… I was in Philadelphia in 2020, my good friend lives right in the Mantua neighborhood.

Comparing Asians and Brazilian in Philly to Boston is also a little disingenuous we all know Bsoton is more Asian and Brazilian than Philly…

And honestly, it’s still amazing to me you refuted a Chinese neighborhood activist characterization for the neighborhood as a white person from Philadelphia and seen nothing wrong about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 10:12 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Okay so now I have been to Philadelphias Chinatown. I ate at Bar-ly and walked around. It’s pretty obviously very gentrified or gentrifying.

Really don’t understand the idea that Boston Chinatown isn’t Chinese but Philly’s is so Chinese and impervious from gentrification: nothing about Barlys was Asian and barely anyone There was asian.

The idea I didn’t know the Philadelphia of 2020 also didn’t hold water… I was in Philadelphia in 2020, my good friend lives right in the Mantua neighborhood.

Comparing Asians and Brazilian in Philly to Boston is also a little disingenuous we all know Bsoton is more Asian and Brazilian than Philly…
Well, you did go to a fusion restaurant and bar, so I don't think it makes sense to expect it to be particularly Asian.

I do think it's nonsensical to compare raw numbers of this or that peoples in Philadelphia with that in Boston given the very different sizes of the municipal boundaries though. I also think Philadelphia's Chinatown really isn't all that large probably having at least a bit to do with that expressway having torn through its northern reaches.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:33 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, you did go to a fusion restaurant and bar, so I don't think it makes sense to expect it to be particularly Asian.

I do think it's nonsensical to compare raw numbers of this or that peoples in Philadelphia with that in Boston given the very different sizes of the municipal boundaries though. I also think Philadelphia's Chinatown really isn't all that large probably having at least a bit to do with that expressway having torn through its northern reaches.
Well- exactly. I can’t think of many (any?) such establishment in Bostons Chinatown.. they’re all firmly Chinese and you wouldn’t go to a restaurant in a Chinatown and not see Chinese people… see for yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=bost...trex_id:WlMHFf

Additionally yea- your point about municipal boundaries isn’t valid and additionally a large freeway cut through Boston Chinatown as part of urban redevelopment as well. Lil road called the ‘Massachusetts Turnpike’.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:48 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
I always pick Boston for these type of threads simply because its in the northeast and has a east coast city infastructure and is very diverse like nyc.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:48 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Well- exactly. I can’t think of many (any?) such establishment in Bostons Chinatown.. they’re all firmly Chinese and you wouldn’t go to a restaurant in a Chinatown and not see Chinese people… see for yourself: https://www.google.com/search?q=bost...trex_id:WlMHFf

..I mean you didn't have to go to a sports bar lol. It's just owned by an Asian family. Admittedly I have never walked around Chinatown, Boston so I have no reference for comparison. On google maps, it's tough to tell where it is exactly. Like where is a street like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9553...7i16384!8i8192

Old 03-23-2023, 10:49 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:

Additionally yea- your point about municipal boundaries isn’t valid and additionally a large freeway cut through Boston Chinatown as part of urban redevelopment as well. Lil road called the ‘Massachusetts Turnpike’.
I'm not sure I agree with the logic that a neighborhood isn't all that Chinese if there is a restaurant that is not Chinese and frequented by ethnic Chinese. In that case, Chinatown and Little Fuzhou in Manhattan wouldn't be Chinese nor would downtown Flushing or Bayside, but there are a lot of ethnic Chinese in these places. This in what I think is still within Chinatown isn't very Chinese. Nor is this or this. That being said, I do think there are authentic Chinese restaurants in Boston's Chinatown neighborhood and I do think it's accurate to say it's a predominantly ethnic Chinese neighborhood.

I'm not sure why my point about Philadelphia's Chinatown isn't valid. I'm not saying this didn't happen in Boston as well. I do think it kind of screws up the neighborhood and makes it harder to have critical mass or to expand its boundaries for both cities. I found the Chinatowns in both places to be quite small, and while there are ethnic Chinese communities within their borders and they serve as sort of focal points of sorts for their larger communities, they simply aren't that big. I mentioned Boston's municipal borders because I think trying to use the raw total numbers of Chinese (or any group) for Philadelphia to compare against that of Boston's doesn't make sense since Boston very much flows into other municipalities that are quite dense and diverse.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:20 AM

6,805 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It stretches in both directions north and south of Stuart Street east of Washington, eventually petering out into Downtown Crossing and the South End respectively. The biggest retail area is at the intersection of Beach and Tyler here: https://goo.gl/maps/kqTCf2bAzXJEfqZ66

Old 03-23-2023, 11:35 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Baltimore definitely feels more in line than to NYC than DC does from an urban sense.

Last edited by Joakim3; 03-23-2023 at 12:14 PM..

Old 03-23-2023, 11:52 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
It stretches in both directions north and south of Stuart Street east of Washington, eventually petering out into Downtown Crossing and the South End respectively. The biggest retail area is at the intersection of Beach and Tyler here: https://goo.gl/maps/kqTCf2bAzXJEfqZ66

Thanks, I think what was throwing me off is how Tuft's medical campus sits at the very heart of what google considers Chinatown, Boston.

Old 03-23-2023, 01:20 PM

323 posts, read 259,547 times
Who voted LA?..lool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City