Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or cities most closely resembles the urban feel of NYC?
Boston 24 16.22%
Chicago 78 52.70%
Philadelphia 48 32.43%
San Francisco 53 35.81%
LA 9 6.08%
DC 10 6.76%
Other 12 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 02:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
As someone who has lived in Chicago and have traveled to NYC over hundreds of times due to job and have journeyed through all the boroughs this is how it goes:

NYC is a tier of its own. An energy of its own. It is the "capital city of the US."

That said Chicago is by far the closest, esp for a tourist or someone on business. I hear it all the time, right or wrong when people visit Chicago, "Its like NYC, but cleaner."
The average person is not into street densities, etc, but look at skyscrapers, restaurants, museums, theatre district, history, shopping all in a condensed area they can get around.

Chicago is the 2nd best downtown and without a doubt, the absolute best summer city in America with its festivals, beaches, etc.

Does that mean San Fran is not more desired? It is, so is LA, etc. COL and real estate much higher and both wonderful cities.
Philly neighborhoods are more like NYC, but most people do not venture off unless the live there and downtown Philly is far behind downtown Chicago.
I agree Chicago is definitely the city that feels most like NYC for a VISITOR, (whether a tourist or there on business) as there is nowhere else in the country like downtown Chicago outside Manhattan, but as far as average neighborhood life (when factoring ALL the NYC boroughs), Philly and Boston are arguably the most similar to NYC. (IE: compactness of rowhouses and narrow streets, compared to the tree lined, broad boulevards and brick bungalows and detached two-flats of Chicago).

SF and LA are the most similar to NYC as far as the cities that have the greatest national and international draw as places perceived as "where it's all at" but consequently make them the most expensive cities in the US. (especially San Fran, as it is on the tip of a peninsula and has nowhere to expand). Though LA's suburban aesthetic (though a lot denser than people think) kind of disqualify here.

So, all these cities feel like NYC but in different ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 02:45 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Downtown Chicago reminds me alittle bit of Lower Manhatten and Midtown area.
Areas surrounding the immediate Downtown area of Chicago remind me a tiny bit of Brooklyn and Queens.. ..but when you branch out further than that they quickly lose symbolences. NY / NJ suburbs start taking more of a Eastern suburbia feel and Chicago starts taking more of a Midwestern city feel.

Overall though, Chicago is about the closest thing America has to NYC. But NYC technically is its own entity. There isn't really anything else like it... ...and Chicago reminds me less of Boston than NYC. Boston reminded me of something straight out of England or Europe.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:55 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Downtown Chicago reminds me alittle bit of Lower Manhatten and Midtown area.
Areas surrounding the immediate Downtown area of Chicago remind me a tiny bit of Brooklyn and Queens.. ..but when you branch out further than that they quickly lose symbolences. NY / NJ suburbs start taking more of a Eastern suburbia feel and Chicago starts taking more of a Midwestern city feel.

Overall though, Chicago is about the closest thing America has to NYC. But NYC technically is its own entity. There isn't really anything else like it... ...and Chicago reminds me less of Boston than NYC. Boston reminded me of something straight out of England or Europe.
What is ironic is to me Bosotn feels the least European or English of Philly NYC or Chicago. Wayyyy too wooden. A tiny tiny slice of Boston feels like Europe-over all. Itd be Philly.

Boston

Leeds, Eng

Philly

Boston doesn't actually look European in the slightest IMO

Old 04-03-2023, 03:09 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It's amazing to me how on C-D we end up talking about Downtowns like "average" tourists all the time. I guess its where we all have the most common ground.... but Id like to think wed collectively be more apt to default to more (IMO, mature) holistic comparisons...
Holistically I think everyone agrees it's Philly. But it's completely fair to debate it from an "average" tourist shoe's because we were all just that at some point in time.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Holistically I think everyone agrees it's Philly. But it's completely fair to debate it from an "average" tourist shoe's because we were all just that at some point in time.
Fair? maybe, probably. Inaccurate? certainly.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:22 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,316,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Fair? maybe, probably. Inaccurate? certainly.
Not going to get a rebuttal from there.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:35 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,517,902 times
Difficult to find the thread for the part of New York that someone that knows little about NYC wrote about: Staten Island, New York, is one of the five boroughs that make up NYC. The person that wrote about it stated that reminds him of Jacksonville.......where that is, I only know one in Florida. For your information, whoever you are, Staten Island, NY, has lots of wealth, with houses way over a million dollars. Yes, like every city or borough, there is always a part that may not stand up to the others....but not when it comes to Staten Island, NY. If you see something flying up in the sky, it is not a bird. it is money.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Not going to get a rebuttal from there.
yep…it’s just when we say “overall urban feel”, the emphasis shouldn’t be in the Loop Or the .8 square miles that is Beacon Hill and Back Bay. It should- in theory- encompass all neighborhoods, and their various cultures and vibes to the best of our collectively ability.

Old 04-03-2023, 04:39 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,029,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Boston to me has different architecture
Some comparisons:

NYC
Boston

NYC
Boston

NYC
Boston

NYC
Boston

Old 04-03-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Some comparisons:

NYC
Boston

NYC
Boston

NYC
Boston

NYC
Boston
GF was talking about Chicago, idk if you missed that. Maybe you didn’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City