Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city or cities most closely resembles the urban feel of NYC?
Boston 24 16.22%
Chicago 78 52.70%
Philadelphia 48 32.43%
San Francisco 53 35.81%
LA 9 6.08%
DC 10 6.76%
Other 12 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 01:42 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Chicago has the feel of Boston more than NYC.

Philadelphia has a veryyyyyy similar vibe to NYC.

Just because Chicago has more tall buildings and is bigger doesnt mean the vibe is similar. Its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 01:43 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
This has been discussed and alluded to multiple times, but it's a matter of looking at high-rise density versus street-level density.

Chicago is much more comparable to NYC for the former; Philadelphia for the latter. That will always be the objective distinction.
Agree. This was already discussed ad nauseum, and street-level density is actually a more realistic barometer of "urban feel" across the entire city IMO, which is why Philly overall has more of a similar feel to NYC (albeit on a much smaller scale) when you're considering the entire urban landscape.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:03 PM

830 posts, read 452,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Chicago has the feel of Boston more than NYC.

Philadelphia has a veryyyyyy similar vibe to NYC.

Just because Chicago has more tall buildings and is bigger doesnt mean the vibe is similar. Its not.
Chicago doesn’t feel much like Boston either. I really think it’s more or less it’s own thing. Boston seems to have more compressed streets too imo but Chicago’s scale is on another tier.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:38 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Chicago for the CBD but Philly when taking into account the rest of the city. The Loop looks a lot like Midtown Manhattan sometimes with the wide avenues and urban canyons. When I see the L in Chicago I feel like that’s what Midtown would look like today if we kept the elevated trains.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:15 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Chicago for the CBD but Philly when taking into account the rest of the city. The Loop looks a lot like Midtown Manhattan sometimes with the wide avenues and urban canyons. When I see the L in Chicago I feel like that’s what Midtown would look like today if we kept the elevated trains.
The interesting thing here is, New York City couldn't wait to get rid of its elevated trains in Manhattan. The city dismantled the Third Avenue el without having its replacement subway on Second Avenue in place, and as a result overloaded the IRT East Side subway on Lexington Avenue. (And, of course, that Second Avenue subway remains mostly unfinished even now.)

In Chicago, OTOH, subways were a contentious subject. I once read a book on the history of "downtown" as an idea that included an editorial cartoon from Chicago in the 1920s that opposed subways as a way for downtown business interests to undermine the city's neighborhood business districts; it depicted a businessman wielding a "Loop Tube Magnet" that drew people from the city's periphery into the center.

And as a result, Chicago's "Initial System of Subways" — in reality, one subway tunnel through the Loop, under State Street — didn't open until the Depression, specifically, 1940, 36 years after New York unveiled its first subway line and 33 after Philadelphia's first subway tunnel opened under Market Street. A second subway tunnel, under Dearborn Street, would open in 1952. When I visited Chicago to do research for a high school paper on its architecture in 1974, the subject of additional subways to replace the Loop Elevated remained controversial — and, as should be clear now, the backers of the additional subways lost the argument.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:55 AM

306 posts, read 479,932 times
As someone who has lived in Chicago and have traveled to NYC over hundreds of times due to job and have journeyed through all the boroughs this is how it goes:

NYC is a tier of its own. An energy of its own. It is the "capital city of the US."

That said Chicago is by far the closest, esp for a tourist or someone on business. I hear it all the time, right or wrong when people visit Chicago, "Its like NYC, but cleaner."
The average person is not into street densities, etc, but look at skyscrapers, restaurants, museums, theatre district, history, shopping all in a condensed area they can get around.

Chicago is the 2nd best downtown and without a doubt, the absolute best summer city in America with its festivals, beaches, etc.

Does that mean San Fran is not more desired? It is, so is LA, etc. COL and real estate much higher and both wonderful cities.
Philly neighborhoods are more like NYC, but most people do not venture off unless the live there and downtown Philly is far behind downtown Chicago.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:16 AM

379 posts, read 468,357 times
Manhattan below 14th street = Boston

Manhattan between 34th and 59th street = Chicago

Brownstone Brooklyn = Philadelphia Center City/Montreal hybrid

Queens = Toronto (outside the CBD)

Staten Island = Jacksonville

Nassau County = Orange County, CA

The rest? Uniquely NYC

Old 04-03-2023, 09:47 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Chicago doesn’t feel much like Boston either. I really think it’s more or less it’s own thing. Boston seems to have more compressed streets too imo but Chicago’s scale is on another tier.
I think Chicago has a lot of a Boston feel actually. The three flats, some of the wooden houses, the cleanliness, the big waterfront feature, and the segregation of the downtown area in comparison to some of the minority areas.

Massachoicetts isn't the first person from Bosotn I've heard say this, he's the 3rd or 4th- not including me.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
As someone who has lived in Chicago and have traveled to NYC over hundreds of times due to job and have journeyed through all the boroughs this is how it goes:

NYC is a tier of its own. An energy of its own. It is the "capital city of the US."

That said Chicago is by far the closest, esp for a tourist or someone on business. I hear it all the time, right or wrong when people visit Chicago, "Its like NYC, but cleaner."
The average person is not into street densities, etc, but look at skyscrapers, restaurants, museums, theatre district, history, shopping all in a condensed area they can get around.

Chicago is the 2nd best downtown and without a doubt, the absolute best summer city in America with its festivals, beaches, etc.

Does that mean San Fran is not more desired? It is, so is LA, etc. COL and real estate much higher and both wonderful cities.
Philly neighborhoods are more like NYC, but most people do not venture off unless the live there and downtown Philly is far behind downtown Chicago.
Downtown Philly Felt Closer to Chicago than Manhattan to me- And I say Downtown because to me 80-85% of Manhattan feel like Downtown, not just Midtown.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Manhattan below 14th street = Boston

Manhattan between 34th and 59th street = Chicago

Brownstone Brooklyn = Philadelphia Center City/Montreal hybrid

Queens = Toronto (outside the CBD)

Staten Island = Jacksonville

Nassau County = Orange County, CA

The rest? Uniquely NYC
Staten Island might be considered West Roxbury/Roslindale/Hyde Park in Boston. But mostly West Roxbury..for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City