Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly or NYC
Philly 20 25.64%
NYC 58 74.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,672,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
^ Interesting. If Mike Peterson's birth/death rate numbers are correct, the implication is that although more people have left NYC than have come in, the high birth rates are what are offsetting the emigration.

Although those numbers don't include illegal immigrants. I wonder how many illegals come into NYC a year.
out of NYC. She just got married and bought a house on Long Island. Certain people are ASSUMING that because people leave NYC they are leaving NEW YORK STATE. Both my daughter and her husband are still WORKING in NYC. In fact, my older daughter left Florida back in March. She never changed her Florida driver's license. As far as Florida is concerned,she still lives there. Yes, she got a job in NY BEFORE she ever left Florida.

Find the statistics on how many people leaving NYC are actually leaving the STATE. Suburbs. People leave to move to the burbs. It has and always will be that way.

Bottom line though, people move to where the JOBS are. It may be bad all over, but the fact remains that NY still has a lower unemployment rate than Floreduh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:27 AM

315 posts, read 667,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
out of NYC. She just got married and bought a house on Long Island.
Rach84 right? Congratulations to her!

Quote:
Certain people are ASSUMING that because people leave NYC they are leaving NEW YORK STATE.
I don't know who is assuming this, I am not. However, it is certainly true that not everyone that leaves NYC moves South. There's a lot of people that remain in the metro area as well, I agree.

I am one of the unlucky ones, whose family decided to move to Florida, but, within a year or so, I'll be living in the northeast again.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,573,514 times
Quote:
I am one of the unlucky ones, whose family decided to move to Florida, but, within a year or so, I'll be living in the northeast again.
The best decision you will ever make.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:32 AM

315 posts, read 667,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The best decision you will ever make.
NYC (and the Northeast in general) is certainly waaay better than Florida.
But Orlando is not that bad relative to other places in the sunbelt, like Phoenix.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:36 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,672,912 times
Thumbs up Congrats on your move

Quote:
Rach84 right? Congratulations to her!

I don't know who is assuming this, I am not. However, it is certainly true that not everyone that leaves NYC moves South. There's a lot of people that remain in the metro area as well, I agree.

No, I was not referring to you.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
NYC (and the Northeast in general) is certainly waaay better than Florida.
I agree, x 1000

Old 07-15-2009, 09:40 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,660,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
out of NYC. She just got married and bought a house on Long Island. Certain people are ASSUMING that because people leave NYC they are leaving NEW YORK STATE. Both my daughter and her husband are still WORKING in NYC. In fact, my older daughter left Florida back in March. She never changed her Florida driver's license. As far as Florida is concerned,she still lives there. Yes, she got a job in NY BEFORE she ever left Florida.

Find the statistics on how many people leaving NYC are actually leaving the STATE. Suburbs. People leave to move to the burbs. It has and always will be that way.

Bottom line though, people move to where the JOBS are. It may be bad all over, but the fact remains that NY still has a lower unemployment rate than Floreduh.
I didn't see anyone assuming that people were leaving NY State.

I did post some figures to show they were though.

According to Census figures NY lost about 61,000 in population between July 2007 and July 2008.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
According to Census figures NY lost about 61,000 in population between July 2007 and July 2008.
Wait until you see the figures for Florida when the new census is completed,lol.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,660,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Wait until you see the figures for Florida when the new census is completed,lol.
In the same time frame as stated for NY Florida gained about 129,000.

EDIT: Forgot to add the lol, I guess you feel that adds something to a post.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:57 AM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
lol!

Florida is totally sweet. And we are way off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City