Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly or NYC
Philly 20 25.64%
NYC 58 74.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 PM

59 posts, read 87,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
So now it's about mutual respect. So NYers will not admit their city is better? Are you telling me they will say Philly and NYC is on the same level? BTW, Chicago is NYC little brother....not Philly or Boston
I have no problem admitting that New York City is better than Philly. But, I have respect for Philly and would never put it down. I agree that Chicago is the little brother to New York City. The south is divided into two regions, which are the southeast and southwest. Do you realize that the North is divided into two regions, which are the Northeast and Midwest? Chicago is the midwest, which is a section in the North. So, the majority of people in the North would have know problem with you claiming Chicago to be the little brother to New York City, and not Philly or Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM

59 posts, read 87,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Call me a homer but lets go with Philly on this one.

Philly is much more managable and sane,incredible suburbs, beautiful countryside 15 minutes from downtown. NYC is just too over the top.

I had relatives from the west coast who had never been east before. They visited last summer. All they talked about leading up to their trip was NY NY NY ,Manhattan, Skyline, Sex in the city atmosphere. Blah blah blah they just would not shut up about NY and Seinfeld.

Took them to Center City Philly and they were awestruck, it was exactly what they envisoned Manhattan to be albeit on a smaller scale.Very healthy skyline,thousands of pedestrians walking the streets,200 al fresco dining options, 200 restaurants/bars/delis, 700 total retail establishments,Museums galleries abound in a 2 sq mi area.They had th etime of thier lives. They then went to NYC, got stuck in nightmarish traffic, had to spend $300 a night for a hotel in the middle of Jersey City. They did the Manhattan thing the next day (with small children I must add) and came back absolutely traumatized by the insanity of it all. They had planned on spending 3 days in NYC but were back after 1 day.
I love both cities and was neutral in this thread until this post. You are the biggest Philly supporter on this forum and there is nothing wrong with Philly. But, don’t put down New York City in the process.

Last edited by AC/PHILLY/NJ/NYC; 07-13-2009 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Although these are definitely two of my favorite cities -- and I will always advocate for my home region -- objectively speaking there is not much for which Philly can compete with NYC (aside from historical significance, which someone had already noted).

I also sense -- overall (and rainrock is allowed to express his opinions, however homer-esque they may be :-) ) -- a great camaraderie between these two cities. Developmentally and historically speaking, there is no greater comparison between NYC and Philly than any other city in the country -- even Chicago. These have historically been two of our country's largest cities that grew up no more than 90 miles away from each other. Obviously I acknowledge Philly's capacity to stand on its own two legs independent from NYC, but clearly there is some value to the characterization of Philadelphia being a "little brother" or "Sixth Borough" to New York.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:48 PM

315 posts, read 667,571 times
NYC is my favorite but Philly is a great city in its own right (unlike many of the "cities" in the south).

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-13-2009 at 04:22 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 07:15 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,851,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But why would anyone exchange the "real" thing for a "phony"? What person would exchange real money for monopoly money? If the cities you reference aren't "real," then that makes no sense.
Who's exchanging anything? I wouldn't exchange either Philly or NYC (real cities) for some sprawling southern mess.

Last edited by lamexican; 07-13-2009 at 07:36 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 PM

318 posts, read 321,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
NYC is my favorite but Philly is a great city in its own right (unlike many of the "cities" in the south).
Every New Yorker has a soft spot for Philly, a little sister city just an hour drive away.

I refuse to vote in this poll

PS. That's what makes living in New York so great you have other historical cities like Philly near by as opposed other areas of the country where you have to fly to see another big city.

Last edited by thefinalcut; 07-13-2009 at 07:41 PM..

Old 07-13-2009, 07:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,672,912 times
Default You could add Boston in the mix too

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post
Every New Yorker has a soft spot for Philly, a little sister city just an hour drive away.

PS. That's what makes living in New York so great you have other historical cities like Philly near by as opposed other areas of the country where you have to fly to see another big city.
All three have a friendly "rivalry" with each other. A sisterly rivalry.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:46 PM

315 posts, read 667,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalcut View Post

Yep, in fact this is partially why the entire Northeast is my favorite region in the entire country. Aside from NYC, there's Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, DC, Baltimore, the jersey cities ...etc... So many cool cities all within driving distance. It can never get boring.

The BosNYWash Megalopolis just rocks my world.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM

318 posts, read 321,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
All three have a friendly "rivalry" with each other. A sisterly rivalry.
Maybe. But I am not kidding about Philly almost everyone has some friends or family in Philly and because it is just an hour away it is really a sister city rather than foreign land.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:53 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,768,382 times
Philly vs NYC......Ha Ha Ha Ha......are you kidding!!! Everyone knows that NYC is better than Philly lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City