Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Philly or NYC
Philly 20 25.64%
NYC 58 74.36%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
You make a point to tell this story every time theres a nyc vs philly discussion. Lol at grown people being traumatized by new york. How the heck did they become traumatized. If anything its gotta be incredible rush to experience nyc for the first time, something i will never get to experience. Wonder what its like?
I agree, and for most it is just that. I personally wasn't too overwhelmed my first time b/c SF's Financial District is like a mini sample of Manhattan and I was used to it, but the scale and extent of everything is amazing and awesome to experience. But I can't imagine grown folks being traumatized by it unless they were Amish or something. I mean, how many NYC residents do you have there right now that are transplants from the West?? Quite a huge amount, and I imagine most of them aren't too scarred if they're staying there. Same with all the tourists from the West and everywhere else that visit and love it. Not too traumatic IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,479,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer78 View Post
NYC is my favorite but Philly is a great city in its own right (unlike many of the "cities" in the south).
Man, are all these jabs at the South really necessary?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:09 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Who's exchanging anything? I wouldn't exchange either Philly or NYC (real cities) for some sprawling southern mess.
I'm talking about all the Northerners who have done so within the past several years. It's more Northerners moving southward than vice versa. So what's up with the droves of Northerners exchanging the "real" for the "fake"?

Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I suppose it's therapeutic for them. Why, who knows.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:36 PM

20,519 posts, read 33,572,975 times
I dislike jabs at the South or sunbelt region 99% of the time. These jabs at the South really are NOT necessary. I dislike calling cities real or fake. I however do understand their sentiment. They are just different because they grew in different eras or different circumstances. But the OP brought this Southern hate upon himself and the rest of the South when he disregards the city of Philadelphia as some ghetto city that has it's best days behind them. Anyone that's been to Philadelphia knows that this is a city that is on the rebound and just finished building towers in it's already very impressive downtown area. I invite the threadstarter to leave Texas for a minute and to explore other regions because it's clear as day that he knows nothing about these cities.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,851,469 times
I'm guilty at taking jabs at the south, as much as anyone on this thread. however, the op seemed hell bent on starting a thread to bash Philly which is a city that I love very much. He was mad cause of he felt some sort of rivalry between Atlanta and Philly and wanted to bash Philly.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:28 PM

315 posts, read 667,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Yes. Especially when the OP is taking jabs at Philly. It's great how this thread is backfiring on him.

Last edited by Lancer78; 07-14-2009 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,660,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
You are new and uninformed.... Obviously you're envious , and you're not alone. More people are moving to NYC than those cities.
NY1 | 24 Hour Local News | Top Stories | New York Leads U.S. Cities In Population Growth
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
ExactlyThe census data is showing increases throughout the Northeast and midwest.
Big US Cities See Population Resurgence - Money News Story - KMGH Denver (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/money/19911323/detail.html - broken link)
NYC has approximately 135,000 births per year and approximately 55,000 deaths.
That would equal a net gain of about 80,000 from births.

They saw a population increase of 53,000.

How do you get that more people are moving to NYC from that?

If you have 80,000 new residents from births-deaths and your total increase is 53,000 then that means more people left than came in

Percentagewise NYC has one of the smallest growth rates of any area. The only reason they led in population growth numbers is due to the vast amout of people there.

You really need to decipher the data better.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:45 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
domestic outmigration is nyc's problem since a lot of those people are firmly middle-class while the international inmigration is generally quite a bit poorer.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,851,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
NYC has approximately 135,000 births per year and approximately 55,000 deaths.
That would equal a net gain of about 80,000 from births.

They saw a population increase of 53,000.

How do you get that more people are moving to NYC from that?

If you have 80,000 new residents from births-deaths and your total increase is 53,000 then that means more people left than came in

Percentagewise NYC has one of the smallest growth rates of any area. The only reason they led in population growth numbers is due to the vast amout of people there.

You really need to decipher the data better.
Decipher data?? You need to get off of your high horse. You were provided with proof and you counter with your own interpretation that doesn't match anyone elses. If you have anything to offer more than fuzzy math. then we can continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City