Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best rap artists/R&B singers??
New York City 111 40.51%
Los Angeles 58 21.17%
Atlanta 85 31.02%
Miami 13 4.74%
Chicago 47 17.15%
Detroit 37 13.50%
Houston 26 9.49%
Washington, D.C. 7 2.55%
Philadelphia 36 13.14%
Dallas 8 2.92%
St. Louis 12 4.38%
New Orleans 21 7.66%
Baltimore 4 1.46%
Tampa 4 1.46%
Other 28 10.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Or it could just be good ole fashion creativity and human intution. You are forgetting the fact that hip hop started off with humble beginnings as new york city urban youth culture, nothing more nothing less, that was strictly done in new york.

Being from the bronx, basically ground zero- Grew up in bronxriver. Same place bambaataa grew up. My father was a deejay and all the old heads were apart of the original movement. Growing up in that environment i will respectfully disregard wiki links
When Did I say Hip Hop was not born in New York.You need to READ.Do you really need that much validation?No one will argue that Hip-Hop came from NYC.BUT Hip Hop is based on musical styles the pre- existed.Why can't you see what i"m saying?What do you think Afikabambaataa got his influences from.or many of the other artist?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:40 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Next,I admit I like hip hop but don't love it.Especially the new stuff.So I might not know some things.So since you say Houston has better rappers,tell me.All I know is like the "Swishahouse" crew(Paul Wall,Slim Thug,etc),Scarface,and a few smaller ones.So i do not how you can say "better" or Hip-Pop.Houston's artist run the same gambit of Hip Hop just like they do in Atlanta.if anything Atlanta's R&B?Hip-Hop artist are equal to or better.At least I think Atlanta's are more well known because there are more to choose from and over a longer period of time.I might be wrong,so tell me.
Nah. They just part of the scene. They are not the best Houston has to offer. Houston's artist as a whole are more lyrical in their music than Atlanta's. The best Houston has to offer is in SPC, K-Otix, Niyat,H.I.S.D. and alot more. SUC and Swishahouse was ok. But lyrically, they not touching the people I mentioned. This is not to say Atlanta does not have their own because I think they have the best if not one of the best in Andre 3000. But the quantity goes to Houston.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballakev View Post
The problem with the Bay Area artists is that none of their music appeals to anyone outside of the Bay Area. Maybe just in Cali but that's it.
Nope. Add Kansas City to it. Add Texas. Add the entire Western US for that matter. Texas jammed alot on that list back in the day and many still do.

Quote:
We all have to admit that the best Hip Hop is from the North. The South killed Hip Hop, we invented hip hop!

Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 AM

Pick ya poison.Don't like Wika?Ok try these sources.I did not learn what i learned from wika.You can find countless interviews,t.v. programs,Scholars like Cornel West and Manning Marriable, and articles about the elements of how hip hop was able to be formed.
http://http://www.essortment.com/all/historyhiphop_rwcv.htm (broken link)

There is a book called "VIBE:The history of Hip-Hop".The most in dept book on the subject in history

There are MANY sources you can read and they all say the same thing.Some will start and end with less than some others,But the information of what I have been saying is all verifiable from very creditable sources.You can choose to accept it or not.Its no big deal,but it is factual.Again,not that Wikipedia is that creditable,but you can find the sources that wika uses at the bottom to verify its content in most cases
there are many so

Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 AM

Actually the North invented and killed Hip Hop.The South is just "beating a dead horse".LOL

Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah. They just part of the scene. They are not the best Houston has to offer. Houston's artist as a whole are more lyrical in their music than Atlanta's. The best Houston has to offer is in SPC, K-Otix, Niyat,H.I.S.D. and alot more. SUC and Swishahouse was ok. But lyrically, they not touching the people I mentioned. This is not to say Atlanta does not have their own because I think they have the best if not one of the best in Andre 3000. But the quantity goes to Houston.
You are talking about just hip-hop in quantity right?I know R&B Atlanta wins hands done.(And no I'm not counting Toni Braxton.LOL)

Old 07-21-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are talking about just hip-hop in quantity right?I know R&B Atlanta wins hands done.(And no I'm not counting Toni Braxton.LOL)
Nah just hip hop. For some reason, Houston was never an R&B city even though it's a strong city for blues. It has a few artists. But not to where Atlanta has it. Atlanta's R&B scene IMO is better than it's hip hop scene. Though you can keep the ones that can't sing *cough Ciara Cough* *cough Keri Hilson cough*.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,829,576 times
Nyc

Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,792 times
HOTLANTA. I'm friends with a few blues artists that hate that term. If anything they prefer the ATL.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah just hip hop. For some reason, Houston was never an R&B city even though it's a strong city for blues. It has a few artists. But not to where Atlanta has it. Atlanta's R&B scene IMO is better than it's hip hop scene. Though you can keep the ones that can't sing *cough Ciara Cough* *cough Keri Hilson cough*.
Yep.You can have em both.But they are entertainers.They give a good show.I'LL take Monica and of course one of my quintesential female singers of all time,Gladys Knight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City