Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pittsburgh vs Providence, RI?
Pittsburgh, PA 70 49.65%
Providence, RI 71 50.35%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 AM

12,894 posts, read 22,063,020 times

Advertisements

^That's strange. I think the economy is having an impact. However, looking at the crime data available (here on city-data's statistic pages and elsewhere), one can see that crime has been improving in Providence quite significantly over the past 5+ years. On a national scale, Providence is really not so bad (just above average) in terms of crime.

My personal account (having lived in Providence) is that the people there are somewhat insular. The result is that they tend to blow things out of proportion when it comes to crime (and other issues). Everything is, "the worst!" or "wicked bad!" when it really isn't. Providence has been hit harder than many places by the economy and that seems to be bringing the "sky is falling" cries to the surface. It's not as bad as people there make it sound.

I don't think "downtown is going to hell." Downtown looks better to me now than it did years ago with all sorts of new enterprises there. Downtown Providence is hardly the problem at all. Isolated neighborhoods to the South of downtown are bad.

Oh, and as far as the corruption thing goes, no one in Providence really cares. That guy (I'm assuming you mean Cianci) really reinvented the city. He brought life to the downtown area (and the major riverside park) and brought Providence back from the brink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,581,112 times

YouTube - WATERFIRE - PROVIDENCE

Old 02-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,710,032 times
Both towns have good weekend getaway options. Pittsburgh is reasonably close to Baltimore, Washington, Toronto, ect.

Providence is more dominated by the ocean culture, where Pittsburgh is more of a rivertown with mountains and forests nearby.

Pittsburgh by a nose!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Both towns have good weekend getaway options. Pittsburgh is reasonably close to Baltimore, Washington, Toronto, ect.

Providence is more dominated by the ocean culture, where Pittsburgh is more of a rivertown with mountains and forests nearby.

Pittsburgh by a nose!
Providence has Newport and Block Island, which are great...plus it has many "special" Asian massage parlors. But I wouldn't know anything about those

Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM

515 posts, read 987,540 times
Both underrated cities. Providence is my personal choice though because I'm a water person.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:42 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times
Probably one of the best polls we'd have - two very similar-sized cities with close poll numbers, 42 and 40.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,155,879 times
I have liived in Pittsburgh and I have been to Providence five times. I really like Providence, but I honestly don't think it is near Pittsburghs league. Pittsburgh has three pro teams. Providence has none. Pittsburgh has alot of world class institutions whereas Providence has Brown and some smaller ones. Pittsburgh has Carnegie-Mellon, University of Pitt, and many other colleges in the area. Pittsburgh's dowtown seems twice the size. The neighborhoods are slightly better. I have always liked some of the neighborhoods of Providence. Very artsy city with some pretty good food options.

But honestly, Pittsburgh really wins in almost every category for me personally. And this is not because I once lived there. I always try to be as honest as possible with these city vs city comparisons. Providence just seems much smaller. Maybe it is because for a metro their size, they have a fairly small downtown. Plus they seem to be overshadowed by Boston.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,664,377 times
Pittsburgh is a much more complete city than PVD. Even though I love PVD and grew up as a 'townie' there I'd never put it in the same class as Pittsburgh. Providence is tiny, a micro-city. Providence has zero sports franchises, that's one way for a city to stay under the radar. City without their own basketball or hockey team = small time. City with all four major sports, including recent (multiple) Superbowl championships = big time. That's only one measure, but it's telling.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:20 PM

14,034 posts, read 15,048,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I have liived in Pittsburgh and I have been to Providence five times. I really like Providence, but I honestly don't think it is near Pittsburghs league. Pittsburgh has three pro teams. Providence has none. Pittsburgh has alot of world class institutions whereas Providence has Brown and some smaller ones. Pittsburgh has Carnegie-Mellon, University of Pitt, and many other colleges in the area. Pittsburgh's dowtown seems twice the size. The neighborhoods are slightly better. I have always liked some of the neighborhoods of Providence. Very artsy city with some pretty good food options.

But honestly, Pittsburgh really wins in almost every category for me personally. And this is not because I once lived there. I always try to be as honest as possible with these city vs city comparisons. Providence just seems much smaller. Maybe it is because for a metro their size, they have a fairly small downtown. Plus they seem to be overshadowed by Boston.
lol, Brown is a teir above any college in Pittsburgh, the Patroits playcloser to Prov. Than Boston.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:38 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,902,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
lol, Brown is a teir above any college in Pittsburgh, the Patroits playcloser to Prov. Than Boston.
1 University vs CMU, PITT, DQU, RMU, and countless others......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City