Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Why? Does Atlanta play more Michael Jackson in their clubs? Maybe you should moon walk along and make your own list.

HAHA, that was funny! It still does not change the fact that clubbing in Atlanta blows clubbing in Philly out of the water. South Street leaves much to be desired and I'm not into bars so Old City was *yaaawwwn* as well, and the females in Philly leave even more to be desired. Sorry when I go out I like to move around, holding up a bar is not my idea of a good night, and the nightlife in Philly from what I saw was just dive bars and neighborhood taverns. We have those here to in Atlanta, we call those ghetto hole in the walls. People who are not involved in selling drugs or pimping women dont go to them. But in Philly thats seems to be all you guys have so everybody goes to them. And the black & Hip Hop clubs in Philly, WOW, dont even get me started on those. For a white person who likes to bar hop, Philly might be a better choice. But for a black person, Philly isn't seeing Atlanta even during the Greek Fest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:29 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
And the black & Hip Hop clubs in Philly, WOW, dont even get me started on those. For a white person who likes to bar hop, Philly might be a better choice. But for a black person, Philly isn't seeing Atlanta even during the Greek Fest.
Atlanta is a black city, so the Black nightlife will be better and the reason why so many black posters prop it up. But for everyone else I do not find it to be anything special. Make your own list and put whatever cities you like. I have been to many major cities and find Philadelphia's nightlife to be excellent.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM

246 posts, read 759,061 times
I like your list, but Ive lived in Seattle for years, and I just cant see it being in the top 10. I would replace it with Austin, Atlanta, or even Portland. Its a pretty sterile, sub-par nightlife scene here on the whole, IMO (although Ive got my spots!). The best thing Seattle has going for it now is a thriving cocktail and foodie scene, but it doesnt make for great nightlife.

I would also move SF past DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
In my experience, here’s how I would rank them:

1. NYC
2. Las Vegas
3. New Orleans
4. Miami

Gotta give the top four spots to four 24-hours cities. Then…

5. Los Angeles
6. Chicago
7. DC
8. San Francisco
9. Boston
10. Seattle

Old 08-27-2009, 01:34 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Wow lol I do not know why you mentioned VA Beach lol. But yeah here goes my list.

1. New York
2. Boston
3. LA
4. Las Vegas
5. Toronto
6. San Francisco
7. Miami
8. Quebec
9. Montreal
10. You pick lol.
Wow I changed 4. LAs Vegas to 4. Philly and it does not lets me change it WOW.... What's going on here?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Why Quebec (Im assuming Quebec City) ahead of Montreal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Wow I changed 4. LAs Vegas to 4. Philly and it does not lets me change it WOW.... What's going on here?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:38 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,608,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
I like your list, but Ive lived in Seattle for years, and I just cant see it being in the top 10. I would replace it with Austin, Atlanta, or even Portland. Its a pretty sterile, sub-par nightlife scene here on the whole, IMO (although Ive got my spots!). The best thing Seattle has going for it now is a thriving cocktail and foodie scene, but it doesnt make for great nightlife.

I would also move SF past DC.
Yeah, you may right about Seattle, except I’ve never been to Austin, Atlanta or Portland (would love to visit one day though!). I don’t know, I was pretty impressed with what the city had to offer (Belltown, Pioneer Square, etc.), but then again, I was there for a limited time. Another city that’s probably great for nightlife is Nashville, but I can’t speak on that one either.

Re: SF and DC, I actually had to think about it for a while. They’re both pretty close in terms of nightlife. The reason I gave a slight edge to DC is because of the sheer masses that descend upon Adams Morgan each night. It reminds me of Bourbon Street at night time (in terms of crowdedness that is). But then again, Castro Street gets extremely crowded as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM

815 posts, read 2,137,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Atlanta is a black city, so the Black nightlife will be better and the reason why so many black posters prop it up. But for everyone else I do not find it to be anything special. Make your own list and put whatever cities you like. I have been to many major cities and find Philadelphia's nightlife to be excellent.

And I too have been to many major cities and can not fathom how you can say the nightlife in Philly is excellent, even for white people. A city full of bars and taverns is not excellent, been to one dive bar been to them all. Not to mention that the women in Philly as a whole are not attractive, AT ALL, both white and black.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:43 PM

True about Adams-Morgan, but SF has some very crowded nightlife areas in North Beach, the Marina, the Mission, Castro, etc. DC outside of Adams-Morgan and Dupont Circle isnt quite as good. I do like DC's nightlife though...
Quote:
Yeah, you may right about Seattle, except I’ve never been to Austin, Atlanta or Portland (would love to visit one day though!). I don’t know, I was pretty impressed with what the city had to offer (Belltown, Pioneer Square, etc.), but then again, I was there for a limited time. Another city that’s probably great for nightlife is Nashville, but I can’t speak on that one either.

Re: SF and DC, I actually had to think about it for a while. They’re both pretty close in terms of nightlife. The reason I gave a slight edge to DC is because of the sheer masses that descend upon Adams Morgan each night. It reminds me of Bourbon Street at night time (in terms of crowdedness that is). But then again, Castro Street gets extremely crowded as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
True about Adams-Morgan, but SF has some very crowded nightlife areas in North Beach, the Marina, the Mission, Castro, etc. DC outside of Adams-Morgan and Dupont Circle isnt quite as good. I do like DC's nightlife though...
I agree, I think in some respects SF can edge out DC but not by much.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:45 PM

Also, re: Belltown and Pioneer Square, both of those scenes have very little in the way of substance. They seem impressive at first, but once you delve in, you realize there isnt much thats fun about them, just big crowds.

The best nightlife in Seattle is Capitol Hill or Ballard, and those pale in comparison to cities like SF, DC, or Chicago.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City