Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 03:34 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,705,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
I don't really see too many white people walking around in these neighborhoods....and of course diversity is more than black or white (that's why I mentioned the South Bronx).

For at least two of those neighborhoods, your claims are false.

East Flatbush:
As of 2000 U.S. Census there 84,498 people living in East Flatbush, with 29,242 housing units. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, the demographics were 91.4% Black or African American, 4.9% Hispanic or Latino, 3.1% White, 1.0% Asian, 0.2% Native American, 1.6% were some other race and 2.6% were two or more races.

Brownsville:
85.6% Black or African American, 13.9% Hispanic or Latino, 3.6% White Not Hispanic, 0.6% Asian, 0.4% Native American, 6.0% other and 3.7% were two or more races.

Southwest Chicago has a much bigger population of whites than the surround South Side; there are white and Asian neighborhoods on the south side; there are areas with huge hispanic populations, especially on the Southeast side of Chicago.
These statistics are quite right! good info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 03:37 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,705,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I read this. Manhattan is very white, IMO. I've seen a fair number of blacks in Midtown and on Canal, and of course you see them Uptown, but other than that, not really, IMO. But I don't live there, so.
Manhattan is mixed really. Many ethnicities can be found there. In Harlem there's a lot of Black people. However now White people are moving in there, which I do not think there is nothing wrong with that. I am just saying. Now why is this thread becoming a race issue? I do not understand. Are some people here racist?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:44 PM

64 posts, read 162,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito57 View Post
You are correct that none of these areas have tons of white people, but the point is that you will see white people in all these places

In contrast, you won't on 95th Street on the South Side of Chicago.

Chicago has 100% black Census tracts. Most of the neighborhoods you mentioned in Brooklyn are about 60% black, with large Latino populations. In the case of Bed Stuy, the white population has tripled in recent years, and is quite substantial.

In the case of the Bronx, there is only one majority black neighborhood, in the Northeast Bronx.

And, again, diversity is NOT just black-white. It is many other things. And if you look at NYC blacks, they are from all over the place.

Most blacks in Brooklyn are not African American; they are West Indian. Take a walk in Flatbush or Crown Heights. Almost everyone is from the West Indies, with some West Africans and some African Americans.

Maybe to you it isn't diverse because you see mostly black folks, but people are from Jamaica, Haiti, Barbados, Trinidad, Aruba, and many other places. NYC also has a much higher proportion of residents from West Africa.

In contrast, Chicago blacks are overwhelmingly African Americans from the South. Not very diverse, and not comparable at all. If I walk down 95th Street in the South Side of Chicago, I cannot find a roti stand, jerk chicken, coco bread, etc. In almost any NYC black neighborhood, you will find these things.
So true....and thats what makes New York such a great place compared to Chicago- the diversity is amazing.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
My data was taken from the Center for Latin American, Caribbean & Latino Studies at New York's CUNY.

http://web.gc.cuny.edu/lastudies/lat...ity%202007.pdf

You can see data there.

Chicago has the second-largest Puerto Rican population of any United States City.
This fact is known and proclaimed by every credible source. Google this fact right now.

And actually, it's only 79% Mexican (9% Puerto Rican) in Chicago.

Mexicans do predominate...but guess what, there are latinos from all over as well. Yeah, no Colombians or Central Americans in Chicago...riiiight.

Do you ever hang out/have you ever been to the Puerto Rican areas on the Northwest side? Or other latino areas on the north side of Chicago...probably not...
More bogus stats LMAO!!! Chicago does not have more PRicans than Miami, Miami is extremely close in distance to PRico, Chicago does not have more PRicans than New York City....I seen more Puerto Ricans in a 20 minute ride through Harlem alone than I have ever seen in a whole city tour throughout Chicago. PLEASE LEAVE THE BULL**** STATS ALONE. Use your common sense for once....to even believe Chicago has the 2nd largest Rican community lets me know you have absolutely no common sense.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Manhattan is mixed really. Many ethnicities can be found there. In Harlem there's a lot of Black people. However now White people are moving in there, which I do not think there is nothing wrong with that. I am just saying. Now why is this thread becoming a race issue? I do not understand. Are some people here racist?
Welcome to Chicago!!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:53 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,930,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
So true....and thats what makes New York such a great place compared to Chicago- the diversity is amazing.
Everyone on this forum is smart enough to know what your agenda is. It's to bash Chicago, plain and simple. That was evident from the first post, and is becoming more evident with each post. I am so not a fan.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:57 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,204,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
yeah a lot people 'in my circle' call it "the GO"....

We call it ''the city''

Old 08-29-2009, 03:58 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,318,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
More bogus stats LMAO!!! Chicago does not have more PRicans than Miami, Miami is extremely close in distance to PRico, Chicago does not have more PRicans than New York City....I seen more Puerto Ricans in a 20 minute ride through Harlem alone than I have ever seen in a whole city tour throughout Chicago. PLEASE LEAVE THE BULL**** STATS ALONE. Use your common sense for once....to even believe Chicago has the 2nd largest Rican community lets me know you have absolutely no common sense.
two words one name...Humbolt park!

Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
Right. Chicagoans who would not admit their city is as the most segregated big city in the US. even though their own newpapers does:

Chicago Tribune:

"Chicago, America’s most segregated big city"

Racial lines were drawn over the city’s history and remain entrenched by people’s choice, economics

Chicago, America's most segregated big city - Chicago Tribune
From the segregation scale, Milwaukee and NYC is more segregated. But since NYC is divided by boroughs, then you don't see.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I will say I have often thought this myself about some of the whites in Lakeview and Lincoln Park. It does not apply to all whites but some of the white folks in Lakeview make me wonder.

I wonder how many of those white folks actually go to the West and South sides.......they seem to loooooooooove Chicago but I wonder if they really know Chicago.

I agree Chicago is a white city.

I read a lot of the upscale Chicago related Magazines and free newspapers and you very rarely see any stories about blacks. Almost never.

Chicago is just another mid western TOWN in my opinion. I am not a native and I cannot wait to get the hell out of this TOWN after 4 years.

This is one place I never have to return to.
Chicago is a white city when it comes to fashion and yuppie-ish, but demographics of the city tells a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City