Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the Fastest Paced Cities (After New York)??
Los Angeles 34 12.45%
Chicago 67 24.54%
Washington D.C. 60 21.98%
Boston 24 8.79%
San Francisco 17 6.23%
Philadelphia 35 12.82%
Atlanta 12 4.40%
Miami 7 2.56%
Houston 3 1.10%
Las Vegas 14 5.13%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:20 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
On the street level, LA does not feel fast paced at all. If anything, it is very laid back and cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It seems like a very chill city compared to those in the Northeast and Midwest.

I'd vote for San Fran, Chicago, Philly, and DC.
I have to respectfully disagree. There’s is nothing laid-back about the pace of life in LA. If you want the laid back SoCal lifestyle, go to San Diego. Sure, it may appear quieter and more relaxed because people aren’t bustling all over the sidewalks, but once you start living your day to day life here, you realize that Angelenos have no tolerance for those who are even a little bit slower than them. LA is fast paced, but it’s a different type of fast paced than Chicago, San Francisco, and DC. It’s not “rush up and down the subway station right after grabbing a hot dog from the street vendor” fast, it’s “everybody cram onto the freeway ramp and rush in and out of strip mall parking lots at 40+ mph” fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 03:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,473,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. There’s is nothing laid-back about the pace of life in LA. If you want the laid back SoCal lifestyle, go to San Diego. Sure, it may appear quieter and more relaxed because people aren’t bustling all over the sidewalks, but once you start living your day to day life here, you realize that Angelenos have no tolerance for those who are even a little bit slower than them. LA is fast paced, but it’s a different type of fast paced than Chicago, San Francisco, and DC. It’s not “rush up and down the subway station right after grabbing a hot dog from the street vendor” fast, it’s “everybody cram onto the freeway ramp and rush in and out of strip mall parking lots at 40+ mph” fast.
That's a really good assessment. It is fast-paced in its own way that just doesn't appear so in the same way those other cities are.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
1) NYC
2) Chicago- Has the 2nd largest central business district in America and 4th most important business center in America according to the MasterCard Worldwide Centers of Commerce Index (NYC #2), largest stock exchange outside of NYC in America, and the CBOE (the largest U.S. options exchange). This high volume of business is why Chicago is #2 and why some refer to Chicago as baby NYC.
3) LA- Entertainmet industry, enough said.

I would put DC towards the bottom of my list. There is no way DC can be considered for the top three.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:10 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,326,876 times
Los Angeles, followed by Chicago & Washington DC.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,662,795 times
Las Vegas, but only on the strip. It's similar to Salt Lake City away from the strip.

Chicago, DC, and Philly are all good candidates. I agree with others on L.A., it is fast-paced, but in its own way. You kind of have to just go there to experience the vibe.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
1) NYC
2) Chicago- Has the 2nd largest central business district in America and 4th most important business center in America according to the MasterCard Worldwide Centers of Commerce Index (NYC #2), largest stock exchange outside of NYC in America, and the CBOE (the largest U.S. options exchange). This high volume of business is why Chicago is #2 and why some refer to Chicago as baby NYC.
3) LA- Entertainmet industry, enough said.

I would put DC towards the bottom of my list. There is no way DC can be considered for the top three.
i thought it was #4 in the world for mastercard... ny is #2 in world, london #1... something like that. also chicago mercantile exchange is #1 in the world for options and futures. CME group actually now owns the New York Mercantile Exchange...

Also the CMDX is going to be in Chicago...for credit default swaps...
http://www.reuters.com/article/press...09+PRN20090313

Last edited by grapico; 08-31-2009 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 04:54 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,640,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Agreed, I feel LA is very fast paced and hectic, especially compared to SD. Unlike other large urban cities, people are rushing around, or at least trying to, in their cars rather than on foot/public transit. People honking, weaving in and out of traffic, etc.. LA is fast paced.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
NY is undoubtedly the fastest paced city in the country. What are the other fast paced cities in the country after NYC? For example if someone who has never been to the US were to be dropped off in the middle of this city it would feel fast paced to them.
Center city in Philadelphia.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:59 PM

55 posts, read 173,944 times
Boston and Chicago

Old 08-31-2009, 05:03 PM

114 posts, read 546,322 times
With all the crime and the huge Downtown area I'd say Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City