Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the Fastest Paced Cities (After New York)??
Los Angeles 34 12.45%
Chicago 67 24.54%
Washington D.C. 60 21.98%
Boston 24 8.79%
San Francisco 17 6.23%
Philadelphia 35 12.82%
Atlanta 12 4.40%
Miami 7 2.56%
Houston 3 1.10%
Las Vegas 14 5.13%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times

Advertisements

Chicago in the winter...

#1!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Ha! That's funny. I lived in Lakewood for 15 years and absolutely loved it, but I didn't think it was fast paced at all.
My point about DC exactly

Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Chicago and LA
PUleeease... I've been here for 13 years & I'm still amazed at how early MOST of this town & surounding area CLOSES up.
As of now I'm eating some darn burger king at 10:30 PM, there aren't many places outside of Dennys, Norms, or a few Even lower off brand places that you can sit down & eat after 10PM, then your just stuck with Mickey Dee's, Taco Hell, Jack in da' Krack.

PF Changs, Chart House, & a some even better resurants are usually serving last meals between 9:30 & 10.
There are a few clubs out there that are open after 2AM but not many.
You don't see people out on the streets after dusk, even during the day they're not out walking around in abundance, or sitting out on their steps or porches in the summer.
Last week we were shooting (a commercial) over by the LA coloseum & I saw some guys shooting hoops & was like "wow ok they're ballin' tonight" trust me by 9:PM it was a ghost town that whole area that was vibrant all afternoon had rolled up.

In Philly they're out doing those things's pretty late on the daily, a lot of the city is still moving about pretty late on the outdoors tip.

I've been to quite a few places in my line of work & have had the chance to spend some time with the residents & a lot of what they do, talk/move about is kinda slow & dated IMHO.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take2 View Post
It so subjective but still I would not agree Chicago is fast paced as compared to let's say Philly. Chicagoans are killing me with their slowness,everything takes forever here.
I would say any place on the East Coast is faster paced then Chicago and I do not mean the average speed on the highway which is much higher let's say in Atlanta than in Chicago. Now, Is Chicago faster than LA? I do not know but it is definetely not as fast paced as Philly, Boston or even New Jersey.
I agree.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
I guess I don't understand the "fast paced" thing. Are we saying that a person in NY or LA would accomplush more in one day than I would here in Omaha...or what? I don't get it.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
For some strange reasons there are some days (every few days in a month) where the pace in all cities seem to be much slower than it typical is - and maybe you were in LA during one of those odd days. LA freeways are pretty fast paced - again - mainly on freeways.

I'd rank it as follows:

Freeway traffic:

1. LA
2. DC
3. Chicago
4. Boston and SF (but South Bay is much slower)

City street traffic:

1. DC
2. Chicago
3. SF
4. Boston

Foot traffic in CBD (amount of people out):

1. I'd think Chicago considering its size, but I haven't spent enough time to be sure.
2. DC and SF
3. Boston

General pace of population (the speed at which people move)

1. DC easily
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. SF

Public transportation pace (subway/bus usage)

1. DC
2. Chicago
3. Boston and SF
Really?? Atlanta has no traffic? Philly has no foot traffic, they move on foot slower than DC? How about public trans?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy1 View Post
I guess I don't understand the "fast paced" thing. Are we saying that a person in NY or LA would accomplush more in one day than I would here in Omaha...or what? I don't get it.
Well TG1, I'm not sure on everyone's take on it. Growing up in Philly our cousins would come down for Christmas & we'd go to a hip hop jam, & they'd say aw man that dance is played, or that song is old out "Ya'll Slow" !!
We'd go shopping in our local stores & they'd see some gear that they didn't have up in NYC or hear a record from one of our local artist & like it & then we'd say Ya'll not down with MC (fill in the blank) ? Or ya'll don't wear (fill in the blank) & it would end with "Ya'll Slow!!

We'd go up there for Easter break & it would be the same thing in reverse, & we'd come home with some obscure records, some new gear that we ain't seen yet in Philly & tell our school mates " Yeah I this in Nu Yawk" Ya'll SLOW!!

Our family would then come down for a visit in the summer & we'd say ya'll still wearing your hair like that?? Maaan we got 3 step phades, "Ya'll Slow!!
Then they'd say " I'll bet ya' never seen a pair of these" Ya'll Slow
Then all of us would go to visit our cousin's in Greensboro NC & give them the total BIZNESS..

Starting with, Why do we have to get to the party at 8 o'clock?, You mean it's over at 1AM? Man ya'll transportation stops running at 11 o'clock?
Ya'll don't listen to MC (fill in the blank) or do the new dance? We can't get beer after 11:59 on a Saturday night? No subways? Blah,blah?blah?
Maaaaan Ya'll SLOW!!!!!!

I don't know if anyone get's anymore done in LA, DC, Atl, or Omaha during the day but I think there's a bigger rush & more traffic trying to do it.. (LOL)

Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
okay, last night I was driving home from San Jose(about 60 miles from where I was to my house in Oakland) and I almost got ran off the freeway a few times by idiots-it seems the 880 freeway is idiot-central. Every single car seemed to be flying by at least 85MPH. And it was pretty heavy traffic considering it was around 10pm.

I was driving 65(cruise control) and even the big rig trucks were just barrelling down the 10-lane freeway.

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:04 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,474,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
okay, last night I was driving home from San Jose(about 60 miles from where I was to my house in Oakland) and I almost got ran off the freeway a few times by idiots-it seems the 880 freeway is idiot-central. Every single car seemed to be flying by at least 85MPH. And it was pretty heavy traffic considering it was around 10pm.

I was driving 65(cruise control) and even the big rig trucks were just barrelling down the 10-lane freeway.

I think everyone needs to take a chill pill.
Haha yeah 880 drivers are insane. I never realized it until I worked in Union City several years back commuting from Daly City. My coworker there even admitted that he doesn't even look when he changes lanes, and then I began to notice that was common practice over there. Its the southern-central part of 880 that's the worst, from around San Lorenzo to Fremont. 80-85 seemed to be the normal speed over there for the stretch from UC to 92. Its no wonder there are so many accidents over there. 580 gets pretty bad near there too.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
well my screen name says it all about where I am from and you have never been here or have no clue! Miami operates 24/7! Fast paced??? That is a Oxymoron!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City