Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the Fastest Paced Cities (After New York)??
Los Angeles 34 12.45%
Chicago 67 24.54%
Washington D.C. 60 21.98%
Boston 24 8.79%
San Francisco 17 6.23%
Philadelphia 35 12.82%
Atlanta 12 4.40%
Miami 7 2.56%
Houston 3 1.10%
Las Vegas 14 5.13%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 PM

58 posts, read 221,035 times

Advertisements

Definitely not Atlanta. It's slow and backwards in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:17 PM

58 posts, read 123,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'd agree with that list.

Chicago, DC, and San Fran would all seem pretty close.
there is no way SF is faster paced than the cities mentioned. the pace is similar to philly to be honest

i'd say DC *Chicago....the rest (Boston, SF, Philly, Miami) -

* never been to chicago

NYC created the term "pace"

Old 09-06-2009, 11:23 PM

223 posts, read 829,252 times
Default So True!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.starks View Post

NYC created the term "pace"

I agree, so true!!!!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:39 AM

I don't know much about traffic stats. New York City is the fastest paced area in the U.S. I feel North Jersey is second its even in the New York metro area, but when your stuck in traffic in this area its not so fast paced.

However, I can tell you the traffic in New York City and North Jersey is no joke its horrible. I heard in L.A. their is no subways and everybody needs a car thats why the traffic is so bad, I can tell you if their was no subways in New York City. Everybody would be stuck in their house and nobody would be going anywhere because as bad as traffic is in N.Y.C. if everybody had to drive, there is no way the highway stystem could support that many cars it can barley support all the cars and traffic now, on the Jersey side of the bridge also. New York City does have a population over 8 million people +. I used to have to travel to Queens on the border of long Island from Jersey to go to work. I would car pool with by friend that I used to work with. We would go threw the the Outerbridge Crossing, Staten Island Expressway, over the Verrazano Bridge, threw Brooklyn, on the Belt Parkway, Finally into Queens. Try leaving a 5:00 pm rush hour and trying to get back to Jersey. I love New York City, but I hate the Belt Parkway maybe all the highways in New York city and North Jersey.

I live a few blocks from a major train station which directly goes into Penn. Station in Manhattan. Thousands of people crowd this station everday in the moring it crazy. Just as bad in the evening when coming home. The train stops in places like Linden NJ, Rahway NJ , Elizabeth NJ, to pick up and drop of passangers and then its straight into Manhattan, N.Y.C. to Penn. Station. Last week I picked up my friend from the train station in Jersey I live a few blocks in the North Bound direction about 4 traffic lights quick turning lights. (not like the other crazy long traffic lights in Jersey that feel like a 1/2 hour that we all know about in NJ ) With no traffic which is rare in this area its about a 5 to 8 minutes drive by car. When I picked my friend up in the middle of rush hour at the train station it took 41 minutes to get back to my home. Don't even think about taking the bus at the train station (with all the bus stops and traffic, and a bus is big and slow) its even worse. It took almost 20 minutes just getting out of the train station and on to the main road.

I heard New York and New Jersey dosen't get counted in the " Worst city for traffic in the U.S. " because so many people take the subways and trains. I can see why, the subways and trains get you anywhere you need to go in the N.Y.C. metro area faster usually. You don't need a car to live in this area. Alot of people maybe most will park the car in the train station (horrible parking fee) and take the train into New York City its eaiser and to avoid the traffic. Sometimes I feel like the traffic is Jersey is worse than New York on RT.1 by Newark Airport, Elizabeth , and New Brunswick by Lowes movie Theater headed toward Rutgers College in New Brunswick it feels like the highway is closing in around you because nobody is moving. However I have felt like pulling my hair out on the Belt Parkway in the Brooklyn section.

I seen on the News once a guy acutally erected a dummy in his passenger seat so he could ride the express lane on the Staten Island Express Way on the News. Since if you have more than one passanger you may take the express lane, because New York City encourages car pooling to keep the number of cars on the highway down. He got pulled over by N.Y.P.D. and got caught the rest is history. If I remeber correclty and I am pretty sure I do. I heard 3 million people use the New York City subways every year. New York city agian is more than 8 million people and their is even more coming into the city every day. I heard Philly which is the size of Brooklyn is the 5th largest city in the U.S. and it has a population of 1.5 million residents. So the population of 2 Philadelphias use the N.Y.C. subways ever year since 3 million people use the New York subway system. I am not positive but I am pretty sure this is what I heard. With all these people using the public transportation system, New York City traffic can be still compared to any U.S. city in how dense it is or how bad it is. Don't forget Jersey to traffic sucks in this state. Traffic is the only slow thing about this area (and maybe the DMV, maybe even slower,no offense to anybody working their). New York City is the fastest paced city in the U.S. North Jersey is a close second. Yes, North Jersey is considered the N.Y.C. metro area but I will say it again ask anybody from New York City ( I am from Queens, NY) they will say Jersey is no part of New York City!!!!

Last edited by lugger; 09-07-2009 at 01:31 AM..

Old 09-07-2009, 01:20 AM

New York City Subway stats:

About the New York City Subway | eHow.com / www.ehow.com type: About the New York City Subway in the Topic bar.

According to this page in 2007, 6.4 million people rode the New York City Subways everyday. ( a record high number of people using the N.Y.C. subways everyday)

Thats a crazy super fast paced city!!!! Thats understandable its New York City!!!!

North Jersey in the N.Y.C. metro area has to be second only to New York in fast paced cities or areas: Newark, Jersey City, Patterson, Elizabeth, Irvington, East Orange, Hoboken, Bayonne, etc. This area is almost an extesion of New York City, and yes its considered the New York Metro Area, but its still apart from the whole of New York City (just over the river and bridge very close). Ask a person living in Manhattan or Brooklyn and he will say NO Jersey is no New York City. However, this entire area feels like one big city in Jersey.

Right next to North Jersey is Central Jersey (Central Jersey depends also on your own view, it depends how far you live North close to New York City or South close to Trenton heading toward Philadelphia, but yes their is a Central Jersey.) New Brunswick, Perth Amboy, Rahway, Linden, Palinfield, Edison, Woodbrige, Islein, etc. this area is still geared toward New York City. Still pretty much the N.Y.C. Metro area.

Their is alot of traffic in these areas and access to buses, trains, cabs, etc. You don't need a car to live in New York City, North, or Central Jersey. New York City is very overcrowded and conjested, and New Jersey is the most crowded State in the U.S. Jersey has the most people per square mile of any state in America. North Jersey and parts of Central Jersey are the most overcrowded in Jersey. These 2 areas in Jersey (North and maybe Central) have to be the second most fast paced area second only to New York City, and its right outside N.Y.C.

Last edited by lugger; 09-07-2009 at 01:30 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 01:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Time to re-visit this discussion, this thread is over 8 years old.

So where do we stand in 2017? Which cities are faster paced than the others now? Many of these cities metro areas have added almost 1 million people since this thread began.

I'll do mine over from my impressions now in 2017:

1. DC/ Chicago ( for me hard to say how Chicago has changed because I haven't been in 20 years)
2. Philly/Boston
3. SF
4. Miami/ Las Vegas
5. LA/ATL
6. Houston
(never been so really don't know)

Last edited by the resident09; 09-15-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 01:36 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Chicago
DC
Philly
LA
Seattle
Atlanta
Miami
Minneapolis
Detroit
Portland
Nashville
Denver
Baltimore
St. Louis
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Kansas City
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Memphis
Colorado Springs
Chattanooga
Grand Rapids
Omaha

These are the cities I've visited in the last 5 years and how I would rank them in terms of pace.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Chicago
DC
Philly
LA
Seattle
Atlanta
Miami
Minneapolis
Detroit
Portland
Nashville
Denver
Baltimore
St. Louis
Indianapolis
Milwaukee
Kansas City
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Memphis
Colorado Springs
Chattanooga
Grand Rapids
Omaha

These are the cities I've visited in the last 5 years and how I would rank them in terms of pace.
Seems pretty accurate, unfortunately I cannot update the poll to reflect more cities.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:53 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
La.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:03 PM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Boston
DC
Philly
LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City