Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore, MD or Oakland, CA?
Oakland 51 36.69%
Baltimore 88 63.31%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Well, the fact that people in Baltimore are so willing to travel such a long distance to DC only shows Baltimore really doesn't have much to offer. It doesn't change the distance. It is still a much longer commute compared to Oakland and SF.
No, it doesn't show that at all. DC is the nation's capital, so of course there are going to be more jobs there. There are still plenty of jobs in Baltimore. Have you ever been there? I've been to both.

And why is distance such a big deal? I mentioned people commuting from Baltimore to DC in order to show how closely the cities have grown and how much interaction there is between the two. You know, how's there's a lot of interaction between San Francisco and San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Baltimore

Old 08-31-2009, 09:28 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Lexington and Cross Street Markets (think Pike Place market, only smaller and more "East Coast")
Oakland's Wholesale Produce District has the finest produce in the country brought in from America's fruit basket-the Central Valley. Its not Pikes Place, but it probably has a wider selection that Pikes Place.

Quote:
Literally bar after bar in the historic Fells Point neighborhood (kind of like Baltimore's version of the French Quarter). Also, there's a lot of bars and restaurants in neighboring Canton and Federal Hill
Oakland's Rockridge District is a foodie haven with some of the best restaurants around. Actually Oakland as a whole is a major restaurant town.

Quote:
The Baltimore Museum of Art and the Walters Art Museum (which btw is located in beautiful Mt. Vernon, home to the original Washington Monument, before the one in DC was built)
The Oakland Museum of California is a great destination and has the largest collections of California Art and is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar expansion.

Quote:
The Inner Harbor - yes it's extremely touristy, but it's also home to the world-class National Aquarium in Baltimore, constantly named year after year as one of the best aquariums in the nation.
Oakland's Waterfront District called Jack London Square soared from being one of the city's poorest neighborhoods to becoming its 2nd richest with an average household income over $200,000. There are restaurants, shopping and entertainment amenities there.

Also, 1,500 ft above Downtown high in the Oakland Hills is the Chabot Space and Science Center--a Smithsonian Affiliate.

Quote:
Little Italy - some good Italian restaurants still line the streets of this old neighborhood
Oakland's Chinatown is one of the largest and most vibrant in the entire nation.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Baltimore has a better waterfront
Oakland has better hills

Old 08-31-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Baltimore has a better waterfront
Oakland has better hills
I agree.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:31 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oakland's Wholesale Produce District has the finest produce in the country brought in from America's fruit basket-the Central Valley. Its not Pikes Place, but it probably has a wider selection that Pikes Place.

Oakland's Rockridge District is a foodie haven with some of the best restaurants around. Actually Oakland as a whole is a major restaurant town.

The Oakland Museum of California is a great destination and has the largest collections of California Art and is currently undergoing a multi-million dollar expansion.

Oakland's Waterfront District called Jack London Square soared from being one of the city's poorest neighborhoods to becoming its 2nd richest with an average household income over $200,000. There are restaurants, shopping and entertainment amenities there.

Also, 1,500 ft above Downtown high in the Oakland Hills is the Chabot Space and Science Center--a Smithsonian Affiliate.

Oakland's Chinatown is one of the largest and most vibrant in the entire nation.
Nice list. I haven’t been to some of these places and will definitely make an effort to see them the next time I’m in Oakland. BTW, I already knew about Rockridge and I agree that it’s a great neighborhood with all the businesses along College Ave and you really can’t beat the BART station being right there!

One Oakland neighborhood I’ve been meaning to check out is Piedmont Ave. How does that compare to Rockridge?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Nice list. I haven’t been to some of these places and will definitely make an effort to see them the next time I’m in Oakland. BTW, I already knew about Rockridge and I agree that it’s a great neighborhood with all the businesses along College Ave and you really can’t beat the BART station being right there!

One Oakland neighborhood I’ve been meaning to check out is Piedmont Ave. How does that compare to Rockridge?
Piedmont Av is like a Mini-version of Rockridge--less glamorous tho. Bay Wolf located on Piedmont Av is one of the Bay Area's best restaurants says critics but Im not that impressed.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:15 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Baltimore is a beautiful city. I think it is more walkable than Oakland and has a better DT, better historic nieghborhoods and diversity.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Oakland was proven to have the most languages spoken at home by its residents. Hard to beat that diversity.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:36 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
I'd good with Baltimore because it has DC and Philly at its finger tips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City