Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore, MD or Oakland, CA?
Oakland 51 36.69%
Baltimore 88 63.31%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Well, the fact that people in Baltimore are so willing to travel such a long distance to DC only shows Baltimore really doesn't have much to offer. It doesn't change the distance. It is still a much longer commute compared to Oakland and SF.
In no way does that say Baltimore doesn't have much to offer, it just shows how much more it has to offer being that the NATION's CAPITAL is in it's backyard. I mean if DC were 50 min from San Fran, I guarantee that San Fran would be perceived as inferior and Franciscans would travel the distance as well. It would not be able to compete with the pull our nation's capitol would have in mutual area. But it would not take away from all the things San Fran would have to offer either. Let's b smart people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjr27 View Post
I guarantee that San Fran would be perceived as inferior and Franciscans would travel the distance as well. It would not be able to compete with the pull our nation's capitol would have in mutual area.
Is there a cloud of delusion hanging over your head or what??

LOL

SF is often uttered in the same breath as Paris, Rio and Florence--DC who?

Old 09-18-2009, 04:32 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Paris, Rio and Florence
SF aside, are these three really ever mentioned together? Paris and Rio dwarf Florence and Rio is rife with violence in the favelas, the likes of which western Europe barely knows. Plus it's got the strong beach culture.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:41 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
SF aside, are these three really ever mentioned together? Paris and Rio dwarf Florence and Rio is rife with violence in the favelas, the likes of which western Europe barely knows. Plus it's got the strong beach culture.
Ya know I considered putting Rome instead but since I put Florence I thought about somewhere different.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,607,567 times
Quote:
In no way does that say Baltimore doesn't have much to offer, it just shows how much more it has to offer being that the NATION's CAPITAL is in it's backyard. I mean if DC were 50 min from San Fran, I guarantee that San Fran would be perceived as inferior and Franciscans would travel the distance as well. It would not be able to compete with the pull our nation's capitol would have in mutual area. But it would not take away from all the things San Fran would have to offer either. Let's b smart people.
I'm from Baltimore and as I said earlier in this thread, I definitely prefer Baltimore to Oakland. But I think you're incorrect to say San Francisco can't compete with DC. Having spent extensive time in both, I definitely prefer SF. Yes, DC is more powerful and important as the nation's capital, but that alone isn't enough to make it the better city. Los Angeles has been bigger, more powerful, and much more important than San Francisco for decades, but that doesn't make it better.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:03 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Oakland so I can watch the Oakland A's

Old 09-19-2009, 05:01 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Quote:
This is flat out outragous!

SF gets more international tourist than DC by far. International - meaning they travel thousands of miles, spending thousands of dollars, for things that DC can't offer. It is amost always mentioned alongside Rio, Sydney, and Paris as among the most beautiful cities in the World. DC doesn't get a whisper.

One of DC's claim to fame is being known as the "murder capital" of the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.
Attached Thumbnails
Baltimore vs Oakland-449px-dchomicidechart_svg.png  

Old 09-19-2009, 05:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
SF gets more international tourist than DC by far.
lol

Old 09-19-2009, 06:49 PM

330 posts, read 877,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
This is flat out outragous!

SF gets more international tourist than DC by far. International - meaning they travel thousands of miles, spending thousands of dollars, for things that DC can't offer. It is amost always mentioned alongside Rio, Sydney, and Paris as among the most beautiful cities in the World. DC doesn't get a whisper.

One of DC's claim to fame is being known as the "murder capital" of the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Washington,_D.C.
Jeez - things DC can't offer?? As another poster claims - SF is an equivalent to Paris - LOL!!!

DC is the murder captial??? LOL. A lot of good humor going on in this thread. Obviously no clue whatsoever about what DC is today.

It's all good. I don't even want to waste the time to explain how a few of these SF posters are in major delusion of DC and especially of SF. Have you and a few of the others have ever traveled outside of SF?? Your posts prove that you haven't.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
lol
Actually it is true. SF has been very popular with international tourists. In 2007 DC had 901,000 International arrivals while SF had 1.6 million

Top 10 – The Most Visited US Cities in 2007 « [ tourism to-be ]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City