Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Baltimore, MD or Oakland, CA?
Oakland 51 36.69%
Baltimore 88 63.31%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
And it gets me thinking. Why is it that the construction of rowhomes only seems to be within San Francisco city limits? I mean, the builders in Oakland had plenty of inspiration to construct rowhomes from across the bay.
Oakland was a quiet farming town that boomed after the 1906 earthquake when many SFcans settled in the wake of the disaster.

I don't know exactly why they didnt build as densely as SF--maybe because there was much more open space? It wasnt confined on a peninsula like SF?

Quote:
So it’s not like this type of housing was a foreign concept to them. Just curious if you had any thoughts since you’re from the area.
I read somewhere that Oakland was the first place to build suburban style housing in its outlying hills(no longer outlying I suppose).

I think it was craftsman homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
Baltimore for me

Old 09-01-2009, 05:00 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I do?
Great, now we must do battle.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Great, now we must do battle.
Allez cuisine?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:25 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I like them both, although I do agree those on the East Coast have a certain grand old-world type of feel (well some of them do anyway - a lot of rowhomes in Baltimore are really plain-looking unspectacular boxes). However, those in San Francisco are more unique and when you see a row of Victorians, it just screams out ‘San Francisco’, whereas with some of those pictures I posted, I could have said they were from Boston, Philly, New York, or DC and probably no one would have noticed (unless of course they recognized a building or landmark).

And it gets me thinking. Why is it that the construction of rowhomes only seems to be within San Francisco city limits? I mean, the builders in Oakland had plenty of inspiration to construct rowhomes from across the bay. So it’s not like this type of housing was a foreign concept to them. Just curious if you had any thoughts since you’re from the area.
There are also row houses in Daly City, which borders SF to the south. They're not Victorians, but rather the two story "Mediterranean style" row houses you find all over the southern and western parts of SF. Victorians actually aren't ubiquitous in all of SF, though they're certainly the most well known. Anyways, SF and the northern part of Daly City are basically indistinguishable from each other and flow together. You can be in one or the other and the only indication that you've crossed city limits is that the street signs have changed color.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
There are also row houses in Daly City, which borders SF to the south. They're not Victorians, but rather the two story "Mediterranean style" row houses you find all over the southern and western parts of SF. Victorians actually aren't ubiquitous in all of SF, though they're certainly the most well known.
Ya got that right!

From far away you can't even tell the DC side from the SF side if you don't know where to look:

There was a song written a long time ago by a man named Pete Seeger called "Little Boxes" that was about the houses in Daly City. He was talking about the tacky looking West Daly City houses like these though:

They look slightly less crappy closer up lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Anyways, SF and the northern part of Daly City are basically indistinguishable from each other and flow together. You can be in one or the other and the only indication that you've crossed city limits is that the street signs have changed color.
Very true. I even had a co-worker a few years ago who was from Redondo Beach (and was actually pretty dumb lol) who thought the whole Sunset, Ingleside, Crocker Amazon and Excelsior Districts were all an extended part of Daly City. (I guess she thought DC had like 400,000 people while SF only had 500,000 or something.) So the mistake can easily be made, particularly on the east side of DC along Mission, in South Hills and near the Cow Palace.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:35 PM

250 posts, read 246,123 times
damn i hate daly city.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
damn i hate daly city.
haha yeah its not for everybody.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:38 AM

One thing I gotta say about Oakland that I've always liked is the people. People from there are really down to Earth. And even though the crime is pretty bad, people in the hood there are surprisingly friendly. In East Oakland at least; the West is a different story. But I've always admired that about East Oakland. You could be right in the heart of an area that is crime-ridden, but people will talk to you if you're cool and leave you alone for the most part if you mind your own business. They have nothing to prove. The mentality is that they're tough and know it, and they don't have any need to prove it unless provoked. I've always found East Oakland to be warm in that sense, as opposed to other hoods in the area like in HP, EPA, Richmond, the Crest in Vallejo, etc. So I think its worth mentioning that even though Oakland has a tough rep and can be pretty rough at times, the general attitude in most of the city is pretty cool.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
One thing I gotta say about Oakland that I've always liked is the people. People from there are really down to Earth.
I agree, I think Oakland and a lot of the East Bay have a lot of real, down to earth cool people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City