Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 09:57 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
Good stuff. Like I said somewhere else, the ATL and TX just need to form an Alliance of Truthiness. Clearly people are too wrapped up in their own cities to recognize that people, from other parts of the world no less, actually do like Texas and Atlanta attractions.

I was surprised once in Paris a few years back, that street vendors were actually selling Atlanta jerseys and played Lil Jon on the radio constantly like it was their own. We stayed with a mother and her son for some time when we were there, and the son's favorite album was by the Atlanta group 112. It blew my mind!

There are cities outside the west and east costs that get love guys, get over it!
Why would people in other parts of the world care about U.S. tourist attractions like the Alamo?

BTW, when I was in Spain, I saw people wearing Atmosphere t-shirts and Timberwolves (KG) jerseys were being sold. Does this mean Minneapolis is some great tourist attraction? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
So what? The ranking is based on the number of overnight visitors, period.

Most Parisian guests are probably from Europe, just as most San Fran visitors are probably from the West Coast. The bottom line is they have visitors who go there for the city's attractions regardless of where they come from.
My point was San Antonio is more of a regional destination than it is a U.S. destination such as NYC, San Francisco, or Chicago. Wait a minute, San Antonio didn't even make the list. End of story.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Why would people in other parts of the world care about U.S. tourist attractions like the Alamo?

BTW, when I was in Spain, I saw people wearing Atmosphere t-shirts and Timberwolves (KG) jerseys were being sold. Does this mean Minneapolis is some great tourist attraction? I think not.
Why would us Americans care about the Eiffel Tower or Taj Mahal??? The Alamo might not being anything special to Americans, but it can really be impressive to outsiders.

Your looking from the inside, and like the rest of the people on here. Downgrade everything about Texas. Saying stuff like "Who cares about the Alamo, or the missions or the Astrodome,etc"

Many people from outside of the surrounding areas travel to San Antonio; believe it or not.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
My point was San Antonio is more of a regional destination than it is a U.S. destination such as NYC, San Francisco, or Chicago. Wait a minute, San Antonio didn't even make the list. End of story.
Yet you left out Houston, Dallas and Atlanta which beat out Philly and SF. end of story.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times
Quote:

Old 09-11-2009, 10:08 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,785 times
Quote:
Yet the ranking is not listing "U.S. destinations." Otherwise it would have been called such. The ranking says clearly "cultural tourism cities." Two different rankings, and the only one being discussed here.

Last edited by bizchick86; 09-11-2009 at 10:18 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why would us Americans care about the Eiffel Tower or Taj Mahal??? The Alamo might not being anything special to Americans, but it can really be impressive to outsiders.

Your looking from the inside, and like the rest of the people on here. Downgrade everything about Texas. Saying stuff like "Who cares about the Alamo, or the missions or the Astrodome,etc"

Many people from outside of the surrounding areas travel to San Antonio; believe it or not.
Right.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yet you left out Houston, Dallas and Atlanta which beat out Philly and SF. end of story.
LOL! I'm so sorry. I should have just listed the top ten again so as not to leave out Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Why did I need to mention them? I already new they were listed.
None of the these cities are tourist cities.....with the exception of LA and NYC, and maybe SF.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:17 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,785 times
Quote:

I don't know nor do I care. That's not the point being debated. Nor did I say Atlanta was a great tourist attraction because people were rocking Atlanta jerseys. I stated that other cities outside of west coast and east coast cities get love, internationally, no less.

To add to that, even though this was not my original point, many people we met in Paris had connections to Atlanta and indeed wanted to visit or had visited. So in some cases, there may be a correlation between being exposed to the music and styles of another city and it having name recognition and someone wanting to visit that place. As was the case in Paris, there were Parisians who wanted to come back to Atlanta with us and thought my accent and blackness as an American were very unique.

Considering that the numbers show that Atlanta is a cultural tourism hot spot, clearly there are people who visit Atlanta at a high level, just as they do in other sunbelt cities.

No need to argue further about this. The ranking already says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City