Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Skyline Battle: Miami Vs Philadelphia
Miami 36 38.30%
Philadelphia 58 61.70%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:52 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,386 times

Advertisements

I have seen both cities in person numerous times, and have never been all that impressed with Philly's skyline. The city itself is great and is much more historic and urban than Miami. However, purely based on skylines, Miami's is far larger and far prettier. I just flew back into Miami yesterday from Buenos Aires, and Miami's skyline has that WOW factor now that puts it in the elite of skylines.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I have seen both cities in person numerous times, and have never been all that impressed with Philly's skyline. The city itself is great and is much more historic and urban than Miami. However, purely based on skylines, Miami's is far larger and far prettier. I just flew back into Miami yesterday from Buenos Aires, and Miami's skyline has that WOW factor now that puts it in the elite of skylines.
Curious before your arrival in Buenos Aires did you come from an alternate universe?

Miamis skyline is very nice at 4 miles long and 1 block wide. Phillys skyline is varied now spanning 4 centuries at 4 miles long and 1 mile wide.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:01 PM

416 posts, read 712,646 times
Ha, love the posted videos! This should be the Will Smith thread. "Miami" vs. "Freaking It"!

I'll vote for Freaking It, but not by much.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Ok, the incredible enthusiasm that Philly fans have for their skyline lead me to believe I must have really missed something the times I went to Philadelphia or the thousands of times I looked at pictures. I just can't seem to see how it's so superior in density and beauty to everything on earth. The way you Philly folks talk you would think it's almost dense enough to achieve critical mass and spark a nuclear explosion.

So I decided to look from a different perspective. I scoured youtube for videos of both cities for a comparison. After looking at several homemade films from Philly residents that were god awful I decided to do you all a favor and use video's from Freewayjim for the city. (He's a very good video maker in this category and Philly residents though extremely endeared and passionate about their city seem to all be about the worst video makers I've ever seen. Trust me they don't make you're city look good at all).

So here are some excellent video's of your city taken by Freewayjim. Granted you can't see everything but he uses the same method of filming for all cities so it's fair. Make of them what you will. My opinion? Well I'll just say maybe living in Philly effects your eyesight or perception of reality. Good lookin skyline but just can't see what you're talking about. Anyway here they are.
This attitude perfectly sums up the difference between the cities. In Miami the highways dominate, they are huge, they are in multiple places, they blend in with the ultra-modern construction that came after them. In Philadelphia, they are an afterthought, forced underground, squeezed into the edges around much older buildings. Anyone who has ever sat in Washington Square, strolled down Locust Street, or eaten on the sidewalk on 2nd Street will laugh at the idea of viewing Philadelphia - or any other great colonial city - from a highway.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:12 PM

Now that I have ranted about other posters and music videos, I will explain why I voted for Philly:

The posted shot of Brickell from the water, way back on the first or second page, was striking for its colors, size, and density, but after I had looked at it for about five seconds I felt that all the buildings looked alike and as a skyline - a conglomerate - it lacks character.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:27 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
It is like the windshield on a car,Philadelphia is the dirt on the glass once it is washed away we have the cleanliness and brightness of Miami.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
It is like the windshield on a car,Philadelphia is the dirt on the glass once it is washed away we have the cleanliness and brightness of Miami.

Just Wow.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:27 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,102,936 times
I don't know how this is even a debate...MIAMI SKYLINE.

http://www.bryansereny.com/miami-lux...miami-9-07.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-24-2012 at 01:11 PM..

Old 09-14-2009, 08:32 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
This attitude perfectly sums up the difference between the cities. In Miami the highways dominate, they are huge, they are in multiple places, they blend in with the ultra-modern construction that came after them. In Philadelphia, they are an afterthought, forced underground, squeezed into the edges around much older buildings. Anyone who has ever sat in Washington Square, strolled down Locust Street, or eaten on the sidewalk on 2nd Street will laugh at the idea of viewing Philadelphia - or any other great colonial city - from a highway.
Excellent post. Philadelphia is a very impressive city and its skyline architecture is just amazing. Miami is just a different type of city and better compares to resort cities like Honolulu.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I don't know how this is even a debate...MIAMI SKYLINE.
I love the Freedom Tower .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City