Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:52 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Yes, the thrashers played their first game ten years ago. Therefore, the thrashers are not a new team. Sorry, I don't believe your excuse. Atlanta finished 23rd out of 30 spots in attendance, which is not good. Atlanta finished higher than Anaheim, Nashville, New Jersey, St Louis, DC, Chicago and NY Islanders. But, look at who they beat out. As a whole people on the west coast people do not watch hockey so it didn’t surprise me that they beat out Anaheim. Current metro numbers, Atlanta has 5,729,304 million, St Louis has 2,754,328 and Nashville has 1,632,671. I would hope that Atlanta could beat out St Louis because it has twice the people and Nashville because it has three times the people. It would be pretty pathetic if they can’t, don’t you think? If you have not noticed the New York City metro area supports three teams. The NY Islanders are on Long Island, NJ Devils are in North Jersey and NY Rangers play in Manhattan at Madison Square Garden. Congratulations Atlanta, you were able to beat out one city that supports three NHL teams! And I do believe that THE MAJOIRTY of people that go muddin live in the deep south. As stated earlier, I never heard muddin before I moved to the deep south for a short stint. This is my opinion versus yours.
Atlanta is one of the 3 newest teams in the NHL...that's not an opinion, it's a fact. Atlanta began in 1999, Minnesota and Columbus in 2000. There aren't any newer teams than those, so those are the new teams. It's not up for debate. Attendance changes annually...one year a team is up, the next it's down - any sports fan knows that. You just seem to want to bad mouth Atlanta's hockey, and that's fine - but you'll get a response when you do.

I've lived in the South all of my life and I've never heard of "muddin" and I still don't know what it is. But then again, I don't frequent trailer parks and it sounds like that is where one might pick it up.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times
Quote:
Yes, the thrashers played their first game ten years ago. Therefore, the thrashers are not a new team. Sorry, I don't believe your excuse. Atlanta finished 23rd out of 30 spots in attendance, which is not good. Atlanta finished higher than Anaheim, Nashville, New Jersey, St Louis, DC, Chicago and NY Islanders. But, look at who they beat out. As a whole people on the west coast people do not watch hockey so it didn’t surprise me that they beat out Anaheim. Current metro numbers, Atlanta has 5,729,304 million, St Louis has 2,754,328 and Nashville has 1,632,671. I would hope that Atlanta could beat out St Louis because it has twice the people and Nashville because it has three times the people. It would be pretty pathetic if they can’t, don’t you think? If you have not noticed the New York City metro area supports three teams. The NY Islanders are on Long Island, NJ Devils are in North Jersey and NY Rangers play in Manhattan at Madison Square Garden. Congratulations Atlanta, you were able to beat out one city that supports three NHL teams! And I do believe that THE MAJOIRTY of people that go muddin live in the deep south. As stated earlier, I never heard muddin before I moved to the deep south for a short stint. This is my opinion versus yours.

Born and raised ATLien, and I have never even heard of muddin until just now.......You must have been in the sticks somewhere, because you for sure were not in my city. If anything the car culture is so much bigger down here then up north that we actually go out of our way to take care of our cars, I know I get mine washed weekly and waxed bi-monthly.....And the thought of putting my baby in something like that makes my stomach turn.....

Old 09-28-2009, 03:03 PM

110 posts, read 101,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta is one of the 3 newest teams in the NHL...that's not an opinion, it's a fact. Atlanta began in 1999, Minnesota and Columbus in 2000. There aren't any newer teams than those, so those are the new teams. It's not up for debate. Attendance changes annually...one year a team is up, the next it's down - any sports fan knows that. You just seem to want to bad mouth Atlanta's hockey, and that's fine - but you'll get a response when you do.

I've lived in the South all of my life and I've never heard of "muddin" and I still don't know what it is. But then again, I don't frequent trailer parks and it sounds like that is where one might pick it up.
You are right, Atlanta is one of the three newest teams in the NHL along with Columbus and Minneapolis. However, Columbus and Minneapolis both beat out Atlanta in attendance. What is your excuse now? Those three teams came into the league at the same time and yet Atlanta still has lower attendance. Current metro population numbers, Atlanta with 5,729,304, Minneapolis with 3,562,284 and Columbus with 2,002,604. Columbus came into the leaque the same year as Atlanta and has less than half the metro population, but yet Columbus still has better attendance numbers. I am not badmouthing the Atlanta Thrashers, just stating that their attendance numbers are low, which goes back to my original thought of hockey not being big in the south. *** Columbus and Minneapolis are in the north and their attendance numbers are higher.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
...and you may not remember but the Braves were not a winning/contending team in the first half of the season.
I'm confused. Are you trying to further the Atlanta/Southern fans = frontrunners narrative or not?

14th in MLB pretty average is getting edged out by a bad team in a demographically similar market is hardly anything to crow about for a contender with a reputation for being a fixture in October. What true baseball fan cares about a slump in April or May? Seriously now, is it the economy? The ballpark? Turner Field has always seemed kind of bland to me. Or are the fans just spoiled by the years of going into September with the division in the bag and getting in line for World Series tickets?

"Muddin" is just a term for off-roading, in an ATV, a truck etc. Driving it around in the mud basically. Out in the sticks there's nothing to do, so you make something to do.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'm confused. Are you trying to further the Atlanta/Southern fans = frontrunners narrative or not?

14th in MLB pretty average is getting edged out by a bad team in a demographically similar market is hardly anything to crow about for a contender with a reputation for being a fixture in October. What true baseball fan cares about a slump in April or May? Seriously now, is it the economy? The ballpark? Turner Field has always seemed kind of bland to me. Or are the fans just spoiled by the years of going into September with the division in the bag and getting in line for World Series tickets?

"Muddin" is just a term for off-roading, in an ATV, a truck etc. Driving it around in the mud basically. Out in the sticks there's nothing to do, so you make something to do.
Oh, I was lost for a minute lol.

They do that by JFK, it looks fun.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:39 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Oh, I was lost for a minute lol.

They do that by JFK, it looks fun.

http://www.carbase.jp/custom/images/main_top.jpg

Old 09-28-2009, 11:47 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

If that's what that is then that's pretty much done all over the country in small towns and I mean small towns.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:40 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
I am not denying that this happens all over the U.S. My arguments is that THE MAJORITY of it happens in the deep south. Do you understand what THE MAJORITY means?
Calling an audible, are we? Your old argument suddenly didn't work so well? Nowhere in this thread did you use the phrase "the majority," until just now. Then you have the attitude to ask me if I know what that means, like you're going to bully me out of this discussion.

in fact, you had to say this about the topic of, 'where mudding occurs' >>

Quote:
Only in the south..... Only in the south..... LOL!!!
Where's Hudson County? New Jersey?

Somehow I am not surprised.

Here's some educational links for you. Look around, you'll see some real Jersey sophistication. I'm torn between favorites: the 1992 Ranger with a 5.0L mustang engine dropped in, or the F-350 monster truck?

http://www.offroaders.com/directory/clubs/northeast.htm

http://www.hv4w.org/

http://www.ec4wda.org/default.asp

http://www.njfourwheelers.com/main.html

http://www.northjerseyjeepclub.org/

Last edited by le roi; 09-29-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 08:24 AM

110 posts, read 101,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Calling an audible, are we? Your old argument suddenly didn't work so well? Nowhere in this thread did you use the phrase "the majority," until just now. Then you have the attitude to ask me if I know what that means, like you're going to bully me out of this discussion.

in fact, you had to say this about the topic of, 'where mudding occurs' >>

Where's Hudson County? New Jersey?

Somehow I am not surprised.

Here's some educational links for you. Look around, you'll see some real Jersey sophistication. I'm torn between favorites: the 1992 Ranger with a 5.0L mustang engine dropped in, or the F-350 monster truck?

Northeast 4x4 Off Road Clubs and Associations Directory

Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers

http://www.ec4wda.org/default.asp

NJfourwheelers Home Page

North Jersey Jeep Club
Sorry, that pathetic attempt at posting websites to convince me that New Jersey is a popular place for four wheeling, muddin, etc did not work. I live in this region and do not see this first hand. Also, I have never seen anyone talking about wanting to participate in these activities. I have lived in every region of the United States. Whereas, you have lived in the Carolinas with the hey yall culture your whole life. Therefore, you EXPECT that people all over the United States participate in these activities because you have not experienced anything else and that culture is what you are use to. If four wheeling, muddin, etc was popular in Philly, NJ and NYC then I would move ASAP!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:37 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Sorry, that pathetic attempt at posting websites to convince me that New Jersey is a popular place for four wheeling, muddin, etc did not work. I live in this region and do not see this first hand. Also, I have never seen anyone talking about wanting to participate in these activities. I have lived in every region of the United States. Whereas, you have lived in the Carolinas with the hey yall culture your whole life. Therefore, you EXPECT that people all over the United States participate in these activities because you have not experienced anything else and that culture is what you are use to. If four wheeling, muddin, etc was popular in Philly, NJ and NYC then I would move ASAP!
The sports up in Hudson County NJ are 1) milking the welfare system 2) selling drugs and 3) trying to be the next Tony Soprano

I would rather ride a 4 wheeler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City