Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The Northeast has an amazing sports culture, I lived in the South (Orlando FL) for a short time and the sports culture was horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The College Football culture in the South blows your region OUT OF THE WATER.
I'd say the South and Midwest do better for college football and college sports in general. Consider also the high interest in college basketball in states like North Carolina and Indiana. In the Northeast, college teams are in an environment where a crucial September weekend series between the Yankees and Red Sox may well take precedence in a lot of people's minds over football on Saturday.

The Sun Belt is a more difficult pro sports market because of the high transient population. Somebody moving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte is still going to be waving a Terrible Towel instead of sporting Panthers colors. It also has to compete with the popularity of college sports. Florida, for example every major league franchise in the state other than the Miami Dolphins was founded after 1976 and most were in the late 80s and onward. Much less history than with the football programs at Florida/FSU/The U.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:47 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I'd say the South and Midwest do better for college football and college sports in general. Consider also the high interest in college basketball in states like North Carolina and Indiana. In the Northeast, college teams are in an environment where a crucial September weekend series between the Yankees and Red Sox may well take precedence in a lot of people's minds over football on Saturday.

The Sun Belt is a more difficult pro sports market because of the high transient population. Somebody moving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte is still going to be waving a Terrible Towel instead of sporting Panthers colors. It also has to compete with the popularity of college sports. Florida, for example every major league franchise in the state other than the Miami Dolphins was founded after 1976 and most were in the late 80s and onward. Much less history than with the football programs at Florida/FSU/The U.
But the Panthers still sell-out BOA Stadium...the Falcons still sell out the Georgia Dome...the Saints still sell out the Super Dome...etc. The Dolphins, Saints, Falcons, Redskins, and Cowboys were all founded prior to 1976, so you're only talking about Florida - not the entire South. It's not possible to speak of the entire South as one market. Each market has its individual strengths and weaknesses.

College sports have alumni support...that makes a huge difference. Alumni are rabid supporters for life, whereas professional sports allegiances are a little more fragile.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Are the Lobos good in basketball, never really hear about em.

they are pretty good, they just dont get alot of exposure because of the confrence they play in and cause of the name. They always blow it though when it really matters.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:42 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
What the UCF football team?
The forum DID say sports culture. And last time I checked, college football IS a sport. And you DID lump the whole south together with Orlando. And college football IS bigger down here then up there. Therefore the sports culture in the south isn't terrible.

Old 09-27-2009, 11:45 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Yet you think Orlando FL has amazing sports culture. You are too much.
And remember most of you northern sports teams NFL players come from down south(specifically Florida).

Old 09-28-2009, 01:54 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Lots of NFLers-to-be played high school ball in the South, notably Florida and Texas.

Quote:
But the Panthers still sell-out BOA Stadium...the Falcons still sell out the Georgia Dome...the Saints still sell out the Super Dome...etc. The Dolphins, Saints, Falcons, Redskins, and Cowboys were all founded prior to 1976, so you're only talking about Florida - not the entire South. It's not possible to speak of the entire South as one market. Each market has its individual strengths and weaknesses.
Relax, I'm aware. I live in Houston, really close to Reliant Stadium actually. My point stands with the whole South though - all the major pro sports franchises are expansion era. Major professional sports have more history in the Northeast and Midwest, and their recent diaspora in the Sun Belt has created fractured allegiances. How many of those people at BOA or the Georgia Dome rooting for the Steelers if they happen to be in town?

It won't always be like this. Take the Houston Astros for instance. They were founded in '62, which means we're coming up on three generations raised in and around Houston with its own team, and were in fact the first MLB franchise in the South. In Texas, you have people who follow UT or A&M football whose fathers and grandfathers do/did the same, but even today you have a few oldtimers who grew up following the St. Louis Cardinals because Houston used to be home to their AAA farm team before the big league ballclub was established. You also have a lot of transplanted Midwesterners who are easy to spot in the stands at Minute Maid Park. Just look for Cardinal red or Cub blue, depending on which one's in town.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:18 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Oh I know you're not alone in being a Southern NHL fan. I was born in Texas and played hockey when I lived up in Michigan.

But you have to admit that the Canes and the Dallas Stars have done a much better job adjusting to the local environment and attracting fans than any of the other teams in the South have. Especially the Thrashers..... they've done a terrible job in Atlanta....
I agree about the Stars. They have been the most successful team in the South by far. Homer pick though as that is my team.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:19 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
As a southerner here I would like to clear up some things about professional sports here. As some of my fellow southern commrades have pointed out, there is much more to the southern sports heritage than NASCAR. With that being said, I do not like NASCAR. However, it is a sport that some people like. Living in Charlotte this is a hige NASCAR area and anything pumping money in the local economy is cool with me. It ain't my cup of tea but it is what it is. NC is definitely big on college sports. My area isn't really, Charlotte is more of a pro sports team, NASCAR and outdoorsy stuff. Something else that is really big is high school football. Southern sports is all about winning, we don't have too many "moral" victories down here. And if your team sucks, the local area won't support you.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
they are pretty good, they just dont get alot of exposure because of the confrence they play in and cause of the name. They always blow it though when it really matters.
Yeah, the Lobos have a terrible knack for doing that. I always wanted to go to "The Pit." I think the UNM and NMSU is a big rivalry. Living outside of ABQ I pulled for UNM.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:23 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Lots of NFLers-to-be played high school ball in the South, notably Florida and Texas.

Relax, I'm aware. I live in Houston, really close to Reliant Stadium actually. My point stands with the whole South though - all the major pro sports franchises are expansion era. Major professional sports have more history in the Northeast and Midwest, and their recent diaspora in the Sun Belt has created fractured allegiances. How many of those people at BOA or the Georgia Dome rooting for the Steelers if they happen to be in town?

It won't always be like this. Take the Houston Astros for instance. They were founded in '62, which means we're coming up on three generations raised in and around Houston with its own team, and were in fact the first MLB franchise in the South. In Texas, you have people who follow UT or A&M football whose fathers and grandfathers do/did the same, but even today you have a few oldtimers who grew up following the St. Louis Cardinals because Houston used to be home to their AAA farm team before the big league ballclub was established. You also have a lot of transplanted Midwesterners who are easy to spot in the stands at Minute Maid Park. Just look for Cardinal red or Cub blue, depending on which one's in town.
There are not many non-Falcons fans at the Georgia Dome...it's easy to tell by the sea of red. The Falcons have been in Atlanta for 45 years...in your opinion, how long should a team be in town to "form allegiences"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City