Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 PM

440 posts, read 776,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Asheville, NC - close proximity to the Ocoee, Nantahala and Chattooga (of Deliverance fame) Rivers.
Greenville, SC - close to the Nantahala and Chattooga Rivers.
Roanoke, VA -close to the New River.

Thanks for the suggestions LovD, I looked into Asheville and Greenville, but I don't think there is any work there for me.

Knoxville has some rivers too, not sure if there any good, but at least I might be able to find work there. I'm a commercial A/C and heat guy.

Keep em coming folks. great input!

I'm reading up on all your suggestions.
Any Ideas on New Mexico or Reno?
I hear there's a nice river in San Marcos, TX. To bad it get so damn hot there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,578,172 times
Duluth, MN.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:46 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
I've noticed that several times people have qualified their recommendations with the fact that the water may not be as warm as you'd prefer for as much of the year as you would prefer. I have a feeling that you may have to compromise some on this. Water rushing down from hills and mountains tends to be cold, even fairly far to the south. This will be especially true in spring and early summer, when the water has not yet warmed up from its winter low temperature. You might especially need to compromise on the length of the year when you want the water to be warm.

I'm not sure what the whitewater rafting scene is like in the Ozarks, but if there are good whitewater spots there, this might be a region where you could find fairly warm water for more of the year than in many more northerly areas, or areas with higher mountains, like NC. In this area you might have to compromise some on finding a mid-sized or larger city under an hour from the mountains, but several cities would be within easy day-trip distance. If the mountains in eastern Oklahoma have white water, Tulsa would put you pretty close to being within the distance you're looking for. I don't know how the whitewater scene is in and near the Ozarks, but this could be a region worth investigating.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:09 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,841 times
Atlanta is just a little farther than you'd like from whitewater (2-3 hours), however its a huge city with a wide range of job opportunities. I'd recommend staying on the north side of the metro area if possible (i.e. - Roswell, Lawrenceville, Duluth, etc..)

Old 10-31-2009, 04:30 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,578,127 times
Default Natural And Man Made White Water Urban Area's....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alikair View Post
Thinking of relocating and was looking for suggestions on
med-large size city that has: (need to work for a living)

1. Good summer weather
2. Easy whitewater river access (travel < 1hr) / (shuttle service / club )
3. Rivers run most of the year. (class 2-3)
4. Water temps are warm enough were you don't need a wet suit most of the year.

I will start with my home town of Portland OR.

Both the Sandy and the Clackamas rivers (lower) are within 30 mins from town, class 2 - 2+, but the water is really cold until June then by August its more like class 1.

and yes, the hardcore yakers like it cold and nasty... I grew up in Hawaii and don't really care for water < 55 degrees, plus I'm an old fart
I'm going to place the NATURAL White Water area's ahead of the
MAN MADE urban white water area's.........

NATURAL

Chattanooga Tenn....no problem with cold water..or little
Tulsa Oklahoma.....no problem with cold water..or little..Right
In UPTOWN Tulsa

Boise Idaho..Mountain River Water Breeeeeer...
Portland Oregon...Mountain River Water...
Reno Nevada..High Elevation Cold Water...but near Down Town

MAN MADE.........

Charlotte NC...Built for Olympics Training Facility
Oklahoma City...Built for Olympics Training Facility

Old 10-31-2009, 04:38 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,436,543 times
Sacramento, CA is a decent option. You can whitewater raft on rivers in the Sacramento area, head to Yosemite for day trips, head to Lake Tahoe area, and more. The water is going to be cold as it is run off from the Sierra Nevadas. Sacramento metro area has over 2 million people.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:50 PM

119 posts, read 298,550 times
Columbus, GA has a great urban whitewater area on the Chattahoochee River in downtown Columbus. The city is planning to make it one of the largest whitewater courses in the country by breaching some of the dams downtown.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:16 PM

250 posts, read 610,292 times
Augusta, GA...

Home to the Augusta Canal and the Savannah River. Boat tours, kayaking, whitewater rafting, moonlight cruise etc.... Augusta is 20 minutes to Clarks Hill lake. We have a Whitewater park and Adqueduct Park..

White water rapids park almost finished in downtown Augusta | NBC Augusta 26| news, weather, sports, community, entertainment, shopping for Augusta, Georgia | Georgia News

The Augusta Aqueduct Park opens up at the Augusta Canal | NBC Augusta 26| news, weather, sports, community, entertainment, shopping for Augusta, Georgia | Georgia News

Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 AM

119 posts, read 298,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABOY84 View Post
Columbus, GA has a great urban whitewater area on the Chattahoochee River in downtown Columbus. The city is planning to make it one of the largest whitewater courses in the country by breaching some of the dams downtown.
Here is a link to the Columbus whitewater rafting project:

BoaterTalk: BoaterTalk - Columbus, GA Whitewater Park

Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Whitewater, Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City