Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs San Francisco
London 39 62.90%
San Francisco 23 37.10%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT6 View Post
And Buckingham Palace is valued at $2 Billion.
If any single family home in San Francisco were that big-it would be worth $20 Billion.

Quote:
Nice try
LOL...Indeed.

Quote:
Back to the topic ; London is better than SF.
Not as a place to live.

Quote:
London is the premier Financial Capital of the World
Did you read that from google?

Everytime you swipe your visa card-we thank you for your patronage

Quote:
London is more expensive
San Francisco is wealthier.

Quote:
London is more upscale
Overall, no its not, SF is the epitome of upscale. More refined, more sophisticated, more cultured. Period.

Quote:
London is more diverse
Neither SF City or the vast San Francisco Bay Area have a majority racial or ethic group. Oh, and our immigrants are much better off.

Quote:
London is more desirable.
Perhaps to people who don't know any better.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:54 PM
IT6

37 posts, read 146,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
If any single family home in San Francisco were that big-it would be worth $20 Billion.
Nope. Highest ppsf district in San Francisco comes in at a whopping low $609 in Pacific Heights. Buckingham Palace totals 828,881 square feet. 828,881 X $609 = $497,298,800. Not quite $2,000,000,000, is it? Not that anyone would ever spend $500,000,000 to live in San Francisco though.

Nice try, but moving on along.....

Quote:
Did you read that from google?
No, I read it in the Wall Street Journal;

'The City' Gains Footing, Gingerly - WSJ.com

Quote:
San Francisco is wealthier.
No, it isn't.

Quote:
Overall, no its not, SF is the epitome of upscale. More refined, more sophisticated, more cultured. Period.
*snickers*

I suppose San Francisco was far too upscale and cultured for the worlds most exclusive brand, clubs, etc. to set up shop?

San Francisco - More upscale and more cultured than London. The cheap city with not even a single street that can match up to Bond St? I think I've heard it all. The posters on City-Data may be generally clueless, but I do thoroughly enjoy the comedic relief.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:01 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
I suppose San Francisco was far too upscale and cultured for the worlds most exclusive brand sto set up shop?
Actually our people are too refined and educated to be the sort of brand-name-whores that populate places like London in too high a number. I mean really, its really quite tacky. And a sign of low self esteem.

Quote:
San Francisco - More upscale and more cultured than London. LOL!
If such things are defined by educational attainment, wealth and sophistication-then yes, San Francisco is more upscale and more cultured than London.

Go in peace. You can't win 'em all.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM
IT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

If such things are defined by educational attainment, wealth and sophistication-then yes, San Francisco is more upscale and more cultured than London.

Go in peace. You can't win 'em all.
Read a dictionary.

Main Entry: so·phis·ti·cat·ed
Pronunciation: \-tə-ˌkā-təd\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Medieval Latin sophisticatus
Date: 1601

1 : deprived of native or a : highly complicated or developed : b : having a refined knowledge of the ways of the world cultivated especially through wide experience <a sophisticated lady> 2 : devoid of grossness: as a : finely experienced and aware <a sophisticated columnist> b : intellectually appealing <a sophisticated novel>

London clearly wins. London is more worldly, London is wealthier, London is more expensive, London is more sophisticated.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
I'll advise you to read the definition of sophisticated.

Main Entry: so·phis·ti·cat·ed
Pronunciation: \-tə-ˌkā-təd\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Medieval Latin sophisticatus
Date: 1601

1 : deprived of native or original simplicity: as a : highly complicated or developed : complex <sophisticated electronic devices> b : having a refined knowledge of the ways of the world cultivated especially through wide experience <a sophisticated lady>

2 : devoid of grossness: as a : finely experienced and aware <a sophisticated columnist> b : intellectually appealing <a sophisticated novel>

Not to mention London is wealthier than San Francisco, which is another +.
hrrmmm as far as sophisticated for the populous sf can def compete, esp dealing with stuff like the humanities and education in general... wealth ...well london is going to be more wealthy people I don't doubt that. it is also much older and larger.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:17 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
London clearly wins. London is more worldly, London is wealthier, London is more expensive, London is more sophisticated.
Why is this even being debated, London is the NYC of Europe.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 PM
IT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Why is this even being debated, London is the NYC of Europe.
I don't understand either. I don't know whether it should be a cause of concern or I should just laugh that I'm arguing with someone who truly believes San Francisco is a better, more worldly and more sophisticated city than London.

Sad.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
London from a native Manhattanite who swapped apts. with a pen pal Londoner for a time. While SF is nice to visit, I would not want to live there in a warm weather climate. Much more to do in NYC and London, especially when you a single and young.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
I don't understand either. I don't know whether it should be a cause of concern or I should just laugh that I'm arguing with someone who truly believes San Francisco is a better, more worldly and more sophisticated city than London.

Sad.
I don't think he is saying it is better... at least I am certainly not, the question was where would you rather live...

mercer gives sf higher QOL than london as well. It isn't a surprise...

Mercer Quality of Living global city rankings 2009

again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjamie View Post
Which would you rather live in? Not necessarily which is the best since San Francisco clearly can't match up to London.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Well obviously London is much larger and more of an international world city then San Francisco...However the original poll was regarding which one you'd rather live in. And while London is an amazing city, I wouldn't want to live there. The weather is far worse than even the Pacific Northwest and English accents are annoying after a while. And compared to even NYC, Tokyo, and Paris, its so expensive to eat out in London. I'll take San Francisco, but that's just a matter of opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City