Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 05:03 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Both Houston and Atlanta singers do rep their cities a lot.. which is one of the reasons their music is a lot more prolific (nationally) than Dallas' music scene right now. In my opinion, Houston and Atlanta artists may be great philanthropists as well but representing their city is what brings attention to their specific city and its what makes people aware of the unique influences within their individual city...and consequently it brings about more public interest in their city, especially musically. And of course more attention means a bigger spotlight for new artist to shine underneath.
Interesting you mention that becuase K104 the number 1 station in DFW refused to play local talent for years and than 97.9 the beat came around to rival K104. 97.9 the beat decided to play local talent from DFW and as a result there ratings skyrocketed. K104 was forced because of this to play local talent. Most of these clubs you see around Texas play Dallas underground music and now has got a little national exposure. Which tells me the hip hop scene in Dallas will explode within the next 5 years. Which I think will bring more exposure to the DFW region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 05:14 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Interesting you mention that becuase K104 the number 1 station in DFW refused to play local talent for years and than 97.9 the beat came around to rival K104. 97.9 the beat decided to play local talent from DFW and as a result there ratings skyrocketed. K104 was forced because of this to play local talent. Most of these clubs you see around Texas play Dallas underground music and now has got a little national exposure. Which tells me the hip hop scene in Dallas will explode within the next 5 years. Which I think will bring more exposure to the DFW region.
You could say that about the independent music scene in Dallas as well, especially in Denton. Denton is already a pretty big deal in Texas music, and seems to be on the verge of exploding. But Houston on the other hand .... not really. I love Houston, but the music scene here seems to be pretty lame. If any Houstonians reading this can enlighten on some good news about our music scene, please do.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:26 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
true, true, the Dallas music scene should become more prominent nationally soon ... I must admit...it used to kind of bother me that Dallas artists never established an identity for their city before now. The only artist I can vividly recall even remotely representing Dallas (FW) was OCA -- and he kind of just came and went...unfortunately a lot of what's being portrayed as "Dallas" music isnt even remotely similar to what the Dallas sound has been before now. I think its a poor representation of Dallas to be honest, and DFW's identity is just taking what it can get at this point music-wise....Quint Black, The Rippla, Lucci, and the guys that sang Dickies and House-shoes could have really put the city on the map, at least Hip Hop wise...at least the city would have had some sort of indentity before now...but oh well, they're making up for lost time now I suppose.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
You could say that about the independent music scene in Dallas as well, especially in Denton. Denton is already a pretty big deal in Texas music, and seems to be on the verge of exploding. But Houston on the other hand .... not really. I love Houston, but the music scene here seems to be pretty lame. If any Houstonians reading this can enlighten on some good news about our music scene, please do.
If youre into rap and hip-hop, Houston has an excellent scene. If you dont like those, Houston's music scene is lacking.

Dallas has a better scene for techno/trance/electronica, all forms of metal, and hard rock.

Austin has a better Alternative scene.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post

Yea here is a pretty good link

Interesting talk man about the GS Boyz. Been some rumours they stole the dance and now they reppin ATL now instead of DFW. If that true thats messed up ***. They signed with Yung Joc and dumped the dude that gave them there big break. The video wasn't even shot in DFW but in ATL. IF this true ATL can have the GS Boyz they some traders.

YouTube - K104 fm In Dallas,TX. Exposing GS Boyz about stealing "Stanky Legg" from producer "Ryan Hitz"

Old 10-13-2009, 05:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
I have a friend who working for a record label back in LA and he says they are watching Dallas pretty close right now for that reason.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Yea here is a pretty good link

Interesting talk man about the GS Boyz. Been some rumours they stole the dance and now they reppin ATL now instead of DFW. If that true thats messed up ***. They signed with Yung Joc and dumped the dude that gave them there big break. The video wasn't even shot in DFW but in ATL. Far as I am concerned ATL can have the GS Boyz they some traders.

YouTube - K104 fm In Dallas,TX. Exposing GS Boyz about stealing "Stanky Legg" from producer "Ryan Hitz"
From what I heard from ATLiens they LOVED the GSBoyz out there, and they would play stank leg in all the clubs. I don't really like the GSBoyz. Some people even thought they were FROM ATL.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:30 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
If youre into rap and hip-hop, Houston has an excellent scene. If you dont like those, Houston's music scene is lacking.
I would agree with that. I'm really into indie music if you haven't figured it out. But sense I live in Houston, I wouldn't mind learning a little about the hip-hop scene.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
true, true, the Dallas music scene should become more prominent nationally soon ... I must admit...it used to kind of bother me that Dallas artists never established an identity for their city before now. The only artist I can vividly recall even remotely representing Dallas (FW) was OCA -- and he kind of just came and went...unfortunately a lot of what's being portrayed as "Dallas" music isnt even remotely similar to what the Dallas sound has been before now. I think its a poor representation of Dallas to be honest, and DFW's identity is just taking what it can get at this point music-wise....Quint Black, The Rippla, Lucci, and the guys that sang Dickies and House-shoes could have really put the city on the map, at least Hip Hop wise...at least the city would have had some sort of indentity before now...but oh well, they're making up for lost time now I suppose.
I heard of Lucci, he seems to stay TRUE to the Dallas scene, and not trying to hp on other scenes. The ones that make it out of Dallas love to hop on another scene from other cities and never really bring musical attention to Dallas it seems.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
From what I heard from ATLiens they LOVED the GSBoyz out there, and they would play stank leg in all the clubs. I don't really like the GSBoyz. Some people even thought they were FROM ATL.
Yea and now they dissing where they come from? Guess a little fame will do that to you....That old saying true "Never forget where you come from".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City